Confirmed with Link: Ducks hire Greg Cronin as head coach

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

At 53:20 they say that Lupul spoke highly of Cronin (have they played together in Toronto)?
Just a few sentences but you get the sense Loops genuinely thinks well of him. For comparison, Loops was in their previous episode amd they kind of made fun of Babcock and his old ways. Not too directly but you could sense Loops wasn't a fan of him. That's just to give some comparison for his compliments.

Not much, but really nice to see :)

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Beat me to it. But finally we have a coach who seems to be serious in earning the ears of the players.

And some continuity between the NHL and AHL clubs. It never made sense to me why clubs don’t implement very similar systems with their farm clubs. Maybe they typically do, and I know coaches turning over like crazy can be a barrier as well.

Reactions: Yemeth and lwvs84

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
They have challenged z to be more responsible in the d zone.

I remember Getz' first podcast appearance after retiring and he said that all the superstars take years to develop how to play defense to be that complete 200 ft player. Zegras will take some time, and part of that factor is his build. He might need a bit more mass to be effective defensively as well as improved endurance to absorb physical play.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
So a guy who has personality and flair has let it go to his head? I'm not sure there is a way to prove it has gone to his head as that means to me he thinks he doesn't have to work hard at his job because he is already great. I don't see that at all and just because he likes to have fun and be on social media means the NHL life has gone to his head IMO.

Does he need to improve away from the puck and in his own end? Of course. I see no evidence he doesn't want to improve. Having an allegedly better coach will help that as Eakins and his system probably didn't help Z on the D side of things. Hopefully Cronin will help on that end but not stifle his creativity or personalty.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Cronin is saying he wants to take the skill Zegras has and apply it to both ends of the ice, take his game and make it grow into a full 200 foot game. Someone like Torts would have Z blocking shots out there. I don't think Cronin is looking to change his game at all, but add to it.

Z improved defensively a little last season even with the team getting worse around him, I still felt he should have been around 70-80 points, showed signs of being a PPG player but he lost some steam towards the end there. There is a lot of blame to go around like with Eakins. PP, and lack of depth, but Z is included in that, imo.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
He’s sure been talking about him a lot
It's the media, though. They keep asking. Cronin's counted amongst the hard-nosed coaches' club, and since some of his ilk have been quoted saying negative things about Z's flair the media goes for the low-hanging fruit.

We'll have a better understanding about their relationship in a few months. Let's wait and see.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I do worry that Cronin might be a Tortorella with a bit of hostility towards guys like Zegras.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, sounds like pretty generic coach speak and nothing that really hasn't been said here.

He’s sure been talking about him a lot

Probably a disproportionate amount of questions focused on him because of the attention he gets from national media.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It's the media, though. They keep asking. Cronin's counted amongst the hard-nosed coaches' club, and since some of his ilk have been quoted saying negative things about Z's flair the media goes for the low-hanging fruit.

We'll have a better understanding about their relationship in a few months. Let's wait and see.
Yeah exactly what I was going to say. The conversations are all being skewed toward that subject because that's where the questions are coming from.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
So a guy who has personality and flair has let it go to his head? I'm not sure there is a way to prove it has gone to his head as that means to me he thinks he doesn't have to work hard at his job because he is already great.
Yeah there's no evidence of ego at all.
I think Cronin is saying he wants to take the skill Zegras has and apply it to both ends of the ice, take his game and make it grow into a full 200 foot game. Someone like Torts would have Z blocking shots out there. I don't think Cronin is looking to change his game at all, but add to it.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't know much about Cronin except he's older and been around a long time. His comment about how that kind of stuff is fun and brings fans out of their seats in context sounded to me like it was optional, or a luxury. Because if you're going to be talented (or "skill it up" if you will) then you need to play a two-way game. We'll see, but it's a worry I'll have until I know more.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe, maybe not. I don't know much about Cronin except he's older and been around a long time. His comment about how that kind of stuff is fun and brings fans out of their seats in context sounded to me like it was optional, or a luxury. Because if you're going to be talented (or "skill it up" if you will) then you need to play a two-way game. We'll see, but it's a worry I'll have until I know more.

It’s a good concern to have. I am hoping it only helps his production and not hurt it. I also think him moving to wing may be inevitable with Carlsson on the inevitable, and it will allow him to play his game more , imo.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
The missing factor that I don't think any of us have is whether or not Cronin is the type of coach to think that a star has to play a strong two-way game to be considered a good player.

What I heard him say was that he thinks if Zegras wants to become one of the best players in the league he needs to learn to be good at both ends of the ice, which I do think is true. What we don't know is whether he'll just accept Z as a highly skilled scoring forward without much defense if it turns out Z isn't responsive to that kind of play. Torts wouldn't. Does Cronin?

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Guess it depends on how Cronin goes about it.

1689097273577.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad