Speculation: Ducks' GM working to change terms of Bieksa's contract extension

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Murray has clearly been having lunch with Lombardi.

Dean: "there's always a way out Bob..."

Bob: "you must teach me"

XxJammingxX

Mar 5, 2014
Its simple. Trade him to a team before it kicks in. That team chooses not to honour the NMC. Then take him back after July 1.

Clearly Dean Lombardi can assist with this

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Its simple. Trade him to a team before it kicks in. That team chooses not to honour the NMC. Then take him back after July 1.

Clearly Dean Lombardi can assist with this

First, why would any team take Bieksa? Never mind the cap hit, but it could cause them to lose a player they don't want to lose. No one is taking Bieksa in a trade. The only other option is to buy him out.

Second, that wasn't a shot at Lombardi. In fact, I envy how he got out of Richard's contract. It was a joke. Not a big deal.

EA Sports GM

Apr 2, 2013
Vancouver
First, why would any team take Bieksa? Never mind the cap hit, but it could cause them to lose a player they don't want to lose. No one is taking Bieksa in a trade. The only other option is to buy him out.

Second, that wasn't a shot at Lombardi. In fact, I envy how he got out of Richard's contract. It was a joke. Not a big deal.

A slightly convoluted plan:

Trade Bieksa for a 5th round pick next year to a team willing to help you out.

After July 1, trade back a 4th round pick next year for Bieksa.

Win win situation, assuming Bieksa wants to stay in Anaheim. Some random East coast team gets a free 1 round upgrade on a pick?

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI

Win win situation, assuming Bieksa wants to stay in Anaheim. Some random East coast team gets a free 1 round upgrade on a pick?

You truly are an EA Sports GM.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I think there'd clearly be penalties to both Anaheim and the other team if this happened. It's not against the rules, but I could see it getting penalized.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Extending him was moronic in the first place.

Ducks already had Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, Despres, and Theodore and Montour as prospects. I understand trading for him just as a stop gap, but they really should not have sign him on for more years.

Last edited:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Extending him was moronic in the first place.

Ducks already had Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, Despres, and Theodore and Montour and prospects. I understand trading for him just as a stop gap, but they really should not have sign him on for more years.

Agreed. Apparently he wouldn't waive hit NTC with Vancouver unless he had an agreement with new for an extension. Still, beyond asinine move by our GM. Never mind that we could of had Beaucemin at nearly same price and term. Plus the NMC. He was smoking some strong stuff that day.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
What's Bieksa's motivation to acquiesce? That he may get bought out next season? Okay, then he can go where he wants.

Seems like he has all the leverage here.

If he gets bought out, he'll lose some money. Doubt he'd get that much as a UFA in 2017.

You could basically just tell Bieksa to change his NMC to a full NTC in 16-17 (but not 17-18), and in exchange they won't buyout his contract.

It's a pretty small price to pay to ensure you stay on the team and get your full contract.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
How? It would work. CBA states the team trading for them don't have to honour the NMC clause. Thus it would be voided. The only wrinkle would be any significant bonuses being paid on July 1.

Did you consider that the team getting him loses a player they would normally protect to upgrade from a 5th to a 4th?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Except Anaheim, where given his demand for an NMC in the first place, seems like the place he wants to be.

They won't pick him, so unless he actually wants out and pushes for the buyout, seems like a reasonable thing to do. But we'll see.

Seems simple to me:
- After this coming season, ask Bieksa to waive his NMC for the Expansion Draft, so they can protect Fowler, Lindholm and Vatanen.
- Then, offer a 5th/6th rd pick to Vegas to NOT select Bieksa. They'd probably be better served taking Manson or Despres anyway, but it would be a nice gesture by Bob Murray.

Easy peasy.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Benning is a gm god.

Thanks for making me laugh.

Seems simple to me:
- After this coming season, ask Bieksa to waive his NMC for the Expansion Draft, so they can protect Fowler, Lindholm and Vatanen.
- Then, offer a 5th/6th rd pick to Vegas to NOT select Bieksa. They'd probably be better served taking Manson or Despres anyway, but it would be a nice gesture by Bob Murray.

Easy peasy.

I don't think Vegas needs to be enticed out of taking Bieksa. I'm pretty sure Anaheim will have other exposed players they'd prefer to have. Younger ones. Ones with more upside and/or more value as trade chips.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Really hoping Garth Snow is takes notes on what happens here. This could come in handy after Boychuk stinks it up again next season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

You won't be able to reacquire players you traded away until after the expansion draft. I don't remember when that starts, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad