GDT: Ducks @ Devils, 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Agreed. I think he out coached himself.

It wasn't a terrible idea to try and get more offense by shuffling the top 6, especially with Hischier out. But this way doesn't seem to be working better so we should probably revert it as soon as Hischier is back.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I finally cleared my cache and I was able to log back in.

Good win - not the cleanest/high precision game the Devils have played and the Ducks really compete hard.
I'm glad Graves was able to come back. See you Tuesday.

Reactions: Devs3cups

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I said this last week in the team discussion thread and everyone told me it was too early and Daws needs to develop another year in the AHL. I don't know, it might be garbage time for this season but I think he's making a great case to be the presumptive starter from here on out.

I wouldn’t give him that responsibility. I’d want him to play as a backup who gets actual usage if he keeps this up but if he goes back to Utica to play regularly that’s not terrible.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldn’t give him that responsibility. I’d want him to play as a backup who gets actual usage if he keeps this up but if he goes back to Utica to play regularly that’s not terrible.
Thing is at this point he's probably going to play long enough the rest of the season where it's enough of a sample size to see whether he could hack it as a starter. But I'm still a bit gunshy after the Blackwood thing when too much, too soon probably hurt him in the long run.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Thing is at this point he's probably going to play long enough the rest of the season where it's enough of a sample size to see whether he could hack it as a starter. But I'm still a bit gunshy after the Blackwood thing when too much, too soon probably hurt him in the long run.

I wouldn’t burden him with that much NHL workload . Give him a backup role if he finishes the season well and plays well next preseason.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

I don't think the too much too soon is what hurt Blackwood at all honestly.

Camille the Eel

A 2 to 1 win. Doesn’t seem like we have had a lot of those this year. 2 - 1 shootout win no less. So I’m most impressed with the defensive structure and effort the last two periods. That we didn’t surrender a game winner with 5 minutes left as we have so many times this year. In the learning curve, this is a good win. You have to be able to win games like this one, in order to be a winning team in this league.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who said "many"?
Why nitpick that much? It’s always the same shit. Rationalizing “We knows he’s had but”.

Like, he’d probably be the worst goalie in the NHL if he were a full time goalie in the NHL. He was killing us. I’m glad he’s on his ass. He was waived without being waived after the last two disgusting games he played where he f***ing cost us both games almost by himself.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I am glad Daws is playing well . Very impressive for a 20 year old rookie goalie. I wouldn't say he has been lights out compared to elite NHL goaltending , but for a rookie... Im glad he is doing good. He has made some big saves and has been good at holding the fort with nice saves at important times. I can see that sometimes he makes little mistakes where he has a little too much movement in his game ( over plays passes some times)/ losses his angle a tad ) but for the most part he has been pretty stable . Him getting game sin and some confidence rolling will be huge for him

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Unfortunately, we’re probably going to see Gillies on Wednesday night, which I’m not sure would be a bad move at this point. We gave Daws his back to back set, so I see no need to play any goalie back to back at this point in a lost season.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Unfortunately, we’re probably going to see Gillies on Wednesday night, which I’m not sure would be a bad move at this point. We gave Daws his back to back set, so I see no need to play any goalie back to back at this point in a lost season.

lol Gilles vs Calgary is going to be something. We're just sending him out to the slaughterhouse.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Look, no one is saying Gillies doesn't suck, we know he sucks, but.... There's many other problems with the team.

Did I do that rite?

Look, no one is saying Gillies doesn't suck, we know he sucks, but.... There's many other problems with the team.

Did I do that rite?

Don't say that or you'll be accused of saying they're a 100-point team :sarcasm:
Lol. You guys are hilarious.

As if we've been playing like this all season long and everyone wasn't ready to jump off a cliff B4 10 games ago ... when we didn't have Hamilton or Graves.

You're Almost as funny as the Zacha haters tonight....

Dawes was awesome tonight. Got lucky with some posts but for the most part we limited it to one breakaway and one two on one and Nico did the rest.

Bratt and Hughes with lots of bad blueline giveaways, but Bratt made a huge play on one and Hughes got bailed out a few times. The Ducks announcers were blown away by our young players but also pointed out that Hughes, Bratt, Mercer and Zegras made lots of passes that work in juniors but are coach killers in the NHL.

Siegenthaller seems to get better each game. Fitz has already cemented a successful legacy despite the goaltending disaster and Novak and Johnson schizophrenia.
Just a fun win.

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
I still think that Daws should probably should be the #3 next year and getting lots of minutes in the AHL. I know he only faced two shootout attempts, but I loved how good he looked, if he actually proves to be good in the shootouts, that will be such a big plus for the Devils moving forward, because as athletic as Blackwood is, I never feel confident with him in the shootout.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't think these refs have ever watched a hockey game
I heard one of the best heckles ever at the game when some guy yelled “I remember the first game I reffed…” (something like that.)

It was helped by his husky voice and delivery, it really landed perfectly and was kind of low-key savage. Not all heroes wear capes.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I still think that Daws should probably should be the #3 next year and getting lots of minutes in the AHL. I know he only faced two shootout attempts, but I loved how good he looked, if he actually proves to be good in the shootouts, that will be such a big plus for the Devils moving forward, because as athletic as Blackwood is, I never feel confident with him in the shootout.

He would have to be like pretty consistently as good as he was tonight from here on out for me to not have much of an issue with him as a full time NHLer

Reactions: Bleedred

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
He would have to be like pretty consistently as good as he was tonight from here on out for me to not have much of an issue with him as a full time NHLer

I dunno, even if he is this good down the stretch, I am not sure if I want him to be counted on being in the NHL next year. If he is, he would be most likely paired with Blackwood, and if Blackwood gets hurt, then we are screwed again. Would rather acquire a solid 1a to pair with Blackwood with Daws in the AHL.

I really feel like this team should be legit contending for a playoff berth next year, and if the team is brought down by injuries in goal again it would be pretty devastating.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Why nitpick that much? It’s always the same shit. Rationalizing “We knows he’s had but”.

Like, he’d probably be the worst goalie in the NHL if he were a full time goalie in the NHL. He was killing us. I’m glad he’s on his ass. He was waived without being waived after the last two disgusting games he played where he f***ing cost us both games almost by himself.
If you are going to call out others you should expect it back. I do.

I just think it's myopic to think Gillies was sole problem with this team in the last month.

Gillies hasn't played for seven consecutive games. Why even bring him up?

Reactions: devilsblood

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
If you are going to call out others you should expect it back. I do.

I just think it's myopic to think Gillies was sole problem with this team in the last month.

Gillies hasn't played for seven consecutive games. Why even bring him up?

Do you not think Gilles is the worst goalie we've seen in goal for the Devils in the last.......I dunno, perhaps ever? He is just that bad.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia