Prospect Info: Ducks Development Camp 2014

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Noeson was awesome. Ritchie looked bored to me. Kerdiles and montour also stood out. Montour is one of those puck magnets, and the kid has a ton of personality in his game.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
This camp had a different feel to it with all the free agents that were brought in. I think the thing that stands out to me when comparing Ritchie to guys like Kerdiles and Noeson is that he will need a couple of years to develop his game at the pro level.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
More notes:

- best players on the ice were Montour and Noesen

- Bobkov solid in ned

- didn't see Megna or O'Brien do anything

- Besse looked over matched

- Theodore was quite impressive

- Ritchie showed some flashes

- Bailey looked like a solid all around player

- Laganere definitely took a step forward this year

- McDonald looked really good

-Manson looked good

Keep in mind, these are texts I received. I wasn't at the scrimmage.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
"Kerdiles and Noesen are the only two players who have a chance at making the team."

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Received the following text from my brother who's at the scrimmage.

Through one period, the standouts are kerdiles, noesen, Ritchie, Petterson (very quiet game, but perfect positionally on every play. Looks exceptional in my opinion)

Is this Marcus Pettersson (D) or Andre Petersson (LW)?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Noesen was great on the forecheck and made some nice passes and moves to the net.

Ritchie's vision was excellent, but his skating and all around game needs some work

Kerdiles was good again, not as good but still good. His hands are well above average.

Montour is already becoming one of my favorite Ducks prospects. I'm excited about this kid. He can skate, shoot, has great hands, good instincts. (reminds me of Vatanen)

Thought Besse and Roy had very underwhelming games.

Huge step forward for Laganiere - he's got some potential to play in the NHL one day.

Theodore was pretty good today. Nothing too special but he made most of the right plays

Kase has some sick hands. He dangled around a few defenders at one point

JeffShibley

Jul 31, 2005
More notes:

- best players on the ice were Montour and Noesen

- Bobkov solid in ned

- didn't see Megna or O'Brien do anything

- Besse looked over matched

- Theodore was quite impressive

- Ritchie showed some flashes

- Bailey looked like a solid all around player

- Laganere definitely took a step forward this year

- McDonald looked really good

-Manson looked good

Keep in mind, these are texts I received. I wasn't at the scrimmage.

I actually thought O'Brien looked pretty good out there. one of the more physical players.

I was also pretty impressed with Pettersson today.

Everything else is what everyone is saying. Kerdiles was impressive. I also liked Ritchie, Noesson, Theodore, and Montour.

Paige Duck

Magnus
May 2, 2014
Aliso Viejo, CA
One thing I do remember from today was that Kase through a good hip check at someone ( can't remember who). It wasn't anything huge, but he had the right positioning.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
What do you think about Montour? Will it be Pro (in Norfolk for sure) or college? I'd prefer the slow path but he seems to be pro ready. If he will play college, well, what do you expect?

Paige Duck

Magnus
May 2, 2014
Aliso Viejo, CA
I thought O'Brien looked pretty good out there, his skating was surprisingly good for a guy his size and he generated some great chances. Look forward to seeing more improvement from him.

Paige Duck

Magnus
May 2, 2014
Aliso Viejo, CA
What do you think about Montour? Will it be Pro (in Norfolk for sure) or college? I'd prefer the slow path but he seems to be pro ready. If he will play college, well, what do you expect?

He's already committed to UMass- Amherst, so he will be there for a year or two and then be (hopefully) signed to an ELC by then. I could see him making the jump to the NHL in 3-4 years.

Steppin Razor

Nov 11, 2013
Here's a few of my thoughts from today's scrimmage:

It was the first one I've attended, so I didn't really know what to expect. Since it was 4 on 4, the pace was decent, and it benefited some of the better skaters.

Ritchie: He is a definitely as big as advertised and I think he'll be great down the road. He's got good hands, made a few nice passes, but I didn't get to see his shot, which looks great on video. He skates really well for a big man, but his top end speed looked just okay. He had a few semi-breakaways and was caught both times by Manson rather easily. I definitely like his aggressiveness and his drive to the net. Good along the boards, but he had at least 20lbs on most people there. IMO, he was coasting a lot in the 2nd half and looked a bit tired, so his conditioning needs to improve big time. If his conditioning improves and he impresses at the main camp, he might get a game or two, but I think he's at least a year away.

Theodore: I liked his game a lot, and it seems like he might've bulked up a little. He's obviously a plus skater and puck handler, but I was impressed with his defense. I really liked how well he used his stick to defend and how he took good angles.

Montour: The potential home run pick looked good too, maybe like a larger Sami Vatanen. Not as flashy, but you can tell he has really good offensive instincts. He drives to the net following the play, and the puck seems to find him. I didn't really notice him too much on defense, but I don't seem to recall him getting beat badly at any point.

O'Brien: I never seen any film of this guy, so I was left impressed with how well he skated for such a big guy. He had a few nice outlet passes, as well as one bad one. He also tried to skate the puck out from behind his own net and got caught once. He then proceeded to give the guy a shot when he was down on the ice. He also had a nice check on someone later in the game. With all of the PMD we have, guys like him and Manson could earn themselves a spot eventually.

Manson: "Charlie" had a good game and a bad game. He whiffed on a glorious chance in the slot when he pinched down, which led to a breakaway for Ritchie, who he caught. Ritchie almost skidded into Bobkov going full speed. Manson also took a nice angle on a forward and pushed him into the boards. The lack of checking in a game like this probably hurts a guy like Manson who likes the physical aspects, but he did okay. He also trolled Laganiere pretty good on a penalty shot. I'm curious to see how Manson does in Norfolk next year.

Kerdiles: After reading about how he was the best player on the ice by a wide margin on Friday, I expected a little more. He was still really good, but not excellent. He dropped his glove and Laganiere slashed him on his bare hand, which stung him, and I think kind of pissed him off. He's a good skater, made some nice passes, and he has a laser wrister. That goal he scored good Lord. Top shelf short side. I don't see him beating anyone on the roster for a center spot right away, but I think we'll see him very soon.

Petterson: Lots of potential, but IMO more of longer term project, which is fine, especially since he's just learning the position. He skates well, and used his reach well a few times, but he made one really bad pass up the middle of the ice. He also obviously needs to put on a lot of weight if he ever wants to make it in the NHL. He got rag-dolled by Ritchie once, which is to be expected. He also to a puck to the chin, put came back pretty quickly.

Noesen: Stefan looked pretty darn good, but I guess that's to be expected, since he's a bit older than most of the kids there. He's fast, aggressive, and has good hands. He had once shot that beat the goalie, but trickled behind him and off the post. He drove to net hard and drove a lot of the play. I expect good things from him down in the A.

Kase: I was pleasantly surprised with this kid. I definitely don't understand how he fell to the 7th round. He can dangle with the best of them. He set up Kerdiles right in front of the net, but Kerdiles couldn't finish. He didn't stand out physically, but I didn't see him lose any board battles decisively. He was more than willing to stick his nose in there, which is a great sign. He looks like great value, hopefully he continues to progress. Also, interesting to have a Czech player on the team, seems like it's been awhile.

Roy: I tried to keep and eye on him, but he didn't do that much. He's not as small as I thought he'd be, which I guess was good. I don't really recall him playing with anyone of importance, so I can't really comment on his playmaking or his offensive game, which I hear is good. He was relentless backchecking, almost to the point of hooking. He also harassed the defenseman at the blue line into coughing up the puck, which he deposited in the empty net. He has at least one more year of college hockey, so we'll see where that leads him.

Laganiere: I caught a few of his games towards the end of the season watching the Admirals in the playoffs and he seemed okay. Today he was reasonably impressive. He skating looks okay for a big, lanky guy, but I thought he was using his size to drive to the net. He's got nice hands, and scored a nice PS goal on take 2 after Manson got him on the first try. He whacked Kerdiles pretty good, which I don't think Nic took very kindly to. I honestly don't where he ends up.

Oct 18, 2011
ritchie remind me of bobby ryan in the sense you can see the huge potential, but he's not quite ready yet, not a knock on him the ducks just have more developed players ready to challenge for roster spots

Paige Duck

Magnus
May 2, 2014
Aliso Viejo, CA
Here's a few of my thoughts from today's scrimmage:

Roy: I tried to keep and eye on him, but he didn't do that much. He's not as small as I thought he'd be, which I guess was good. I don't really recall him playing with anyone of importance, so I can't really comment on his playmaking or his offensive game, which I hear is good. He was relentless backchecking, almost to the point of hooking. He also harassed the defenseman at the blue line into coughing up the puck, which he deposited in the empty net. He has at least one more year of college hockey, so we'll see where that leads him.

Laganiere: I caught a few of his games towards the end of the season watching the Admirals in the playoffs and he seemed okay. Today he was reasonably impressive. He skating looks okay for a big, lanky guy, but I thought he was using his size to drive to the net. He's got nice hands, and scored a nice PS goal on take 2 after Manson got him on the first try. He whacked Kerdiles pretty good, which I don't think Nic took very kindly to. I honestly don't where he ends up.

Nice write up, thank you! Side note, Roy actually harassed Ritchie. Ritchie didn't like what he did and proceeded by smacking the puck against the board. Also, Kerdiles glove fell off during play and Lag's stick hit his hand while he was back checking him, I don't blame Nic for being a little upset about that

Steppin Razor

Nov 11, 2013
ritchie remind me of bobby ryan in the sense you can see the huge potential, but he's not quite ready yet, not a knock on him the ducks just have more developed players ready to challenge for roster spots

I've seen this comparison before, and I really don't agree. Bobby was far more talented, which is not a knock on Ritchie. Ritchie already skates better than Bobby ever did. I guess they are in similar positions though, being kind of behind other players.

Nice write up, thank you! Side note, Roy actually harassed Ritchie. Ritchie didn't like what he did and proceeded by smacking the puck against the board. Also, Kerdiles glove fell off during play and Lag's stick hit his hand while he was back checking him, I don't blame Nic for being a little upset about that

I guess that would explain why Ritchie fired the puck off the boards.

Paige Duck

Magnus
May 2, 2014
Aliso Viejo, CA
Does anybody have anything to report on Wellinski/Cooper/Sorensen? I did not see either of them playing, or they were playing and they just didn't stick out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad