Friedman: Ducks and Trevor Zegras ''likely'' to agree to a bridge deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Unless this is purely on Zegras and it's all he will accept, I think this is a big mistake.

Maybe I have more faith in him than others but I'd try to get the Hughes 8x8 right now.

Stuztle, Hughes, Thompson, Hintz, Boldy, etc etc. All look like they early long-term extension was the right call.

I thought Zegras would get 8x8, Terry 6x6 and maybe Drysdale for 1-2 years at 1-1.5M

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's likely the typical reason for a bridge.

He sees himself as a premiere player in the league, on the cover of a video game and all the media hype. However, he's only a 20 goal scorer and awful defensively. Of course he will get better, but he's not going to get that top money he wants. He has faith in himself that he is that top tier player and he doesn't want to settle for less than what Terry got.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Probably an EP (Vancouver type) situation where Zegras will want to see if the Ducks spend to put a competitive product on ice before he makes longer commitment. Hughes was already on a playoff roster. And Caufield has some size related injury concerns about his longevity in the league.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I’m fine with a bridge deal, don’t understand why people are so into rushing a 8x8 deal or whatever long term contracts others are signing these days
If NJD waited another year on Hughes they'd probably be paying 11 x 8 right now.

Zegras easily has the potential to hit 85+ points in either of the next two seasons and if he does he's likely asking for 10.5 or more as the cap goes up.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Unless this is purely on Zegras and it's all he will accept, I think this is a big mistake.

Maybe I have more faith in him than others but I'd try to get the Hughes 8x8 right now.

Stuztle, Hughes, Thompson, Hintz, Boldy, etc etc. All look like they early long-term extension was the right call.

thompson was not an ELC after signing a 3 year low bridge. Broke out in yr 3 of thst and thrn got signed to $7M deal thst starts this season.

if all for as a gm to sign ELC teenagers to a bridge thrn 7+ yr contract taking them to after 30 yrs old.
thr big risk contracts are having to sign 27-29 yr olds to high long contracts taking thrm to 35+ and the return isn’t there.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Zegras signs a long term deal now, would probably be around 7 million per year, similar to what Boldy signed, don’t see it being more than him or Terry for that matter.

He signs a bridge for 6.5-7 million for 3 years, then can sign a long term contract between 8 and 9 million, perhaps more, if he truly reaches his potential and hits PPG+ level. So he is betting on himself.

Signing a long term contract now he is leaving money on the table. A good amount of money to be honest. Cap is going up and that means so will AAV’s to contracts.

This is all speculation to what Zegras wants this can be coming from Verbeek, that he only wants to bridge Zegras.

Reactions: MAHJ71 and Rec T

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
thompson was not an ELC after signing a 3 year low bridge. Broke out in yr 3 of thst and thrn got signed to $7M deal thst starts this season.

if all for as a gm to sign ELC teenagers to a bridge thrn 7+ yr contract taking them to after 30 yrs old.
thr big risk contracts are having to sign 27-29 yr olds to high long contracts taking thrm to 35+ and the return isn’t there.
I mean "early" as in immediately after they started showing their quality rather than waiting for some more "prove it again" years, not necessarily "early" as in the first 2-3 years of their career.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

You lock that kid long term.

A bridge is a HUGE L for a rebuilding team like Anaheim. Only kind of team that should bridge young talented players like Zegras are contending team that try to lower the AAV while they contend (ex: Edmonton for Bouchard, Tampa with Point a few years ago).

Montreal and Minnesota locked Caufield and Boldy long term. No reason Anaheim should not do the same for Zegras.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

A bridge is a HUGE L for a rebuilding team like Anaheim. Only kind of team that should bridge young talented players like Zegras are contending team that try to lower the AAV while they contend (ex: Edmonton for Bouchard, Tampa with Point a few years ago).

Montreal and Minnesota locked Caufield and Boldy long term. No reason Anaheim should not do the same for Zegras.

The issue is, his camp may be asking for a bridge. Verbeek I am sure would love to lock him down to a Boldy or even Hughes type contract.

I think this is why nothing has been signed yet.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

My guess is zegras wants a bridge…. He is the type to bet on himself…. And he could prob get 8x8 long term.

I imagine he gets 3 x 6.5, and prob looking at 10+ on his next deal.

When the team around him is better his stats are going to increase, and when we run a decent nhl system…. His defensive flaws won’t be noticed as much max.

My guess is his long term ask was 9+

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If Zegras signs a long term deal now, would probably be around 7 million per year, similar to what Boldy signed, don’t see it being more than him or Terry for that matter.

He signs a bridge for 6.5-7 million for 3 years, then can sign a long term contract between 8 and 9 million, perhaps more, if he truly reaches his potential and hits PPG+ level. So he is betting on himself.

Humm... 6.5/7 is A LOT for bridge deal for someone like Zegras, no? I mean, you're saying yourself that his long term deal wouldn't be much higher!

My guess is zegras wants a bridge…. He is the type to bet on himself…. And he could prob get 8x8 long term.

I imagine he gets 3 x 6.5, and prob looking at 10+ on his next deal.

When the team around him is better his stats are going to increase, and when we run a decent nhl system…. His defensive flaws won’t be noticed as much max.

My guess is his long term ask was 9+

That pretty much the only reasonable explanation as to why the Ducks would agree to a bridge.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The cap is going up. Even if he just puts up 70 points the next 2 seasons, he'll get a lot more money taking a bridge here and then signing a new deal.
That's true but I don't think this is the reason at all. This is nothing like the Matthews deal because Matthews is at least an established top elite. In Zegras' situation, he's only established enough to make perhaps 7.0 x 8 years.

But yes that is a happy coincidence for him I suppose. If Zegras wants 8-8.5 today, maybe he could demand 10 in three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad