Post-Game Talk: Ducks 4 Oilers 3 in OT - Ducks lead series 3-2

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
can't believe all the luck the ducks got in the final 3 minutes. everything that could go right, did go right for them. the crazy deflection off of draisatl who had no stick (with no traffic in front other than him), the seeing eye shot, the puck bouncing on letestu at the last second and then the very obviously goaltender interference. The thing is, people are calling a huge collapse but it wasn't like they were scrambling. they were in good position on all 3 goals. It was just incredible luck. still though, it doesn't make it any less deflating. :(

The team shouldn't feel bad about their performance in game 5. Like Craig Button said, that was a "gutsy performance" for a team on the road that suffered some injuries on the backend early in the game. Thats why I don't necessarily agree with the people that say the Oilers deserved to have the goalie interference call go against them because they put themselves in that situation. There wasn't much the Oilers could've done on the first two goals except maybe pressure the point a little bit more.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
ya, no. We didn't lose because Anaheim is a big market. It's not. NHL could care less about this series in terms of viewership. If anything having McDavid would bring more viewers next round than anaheim.

Maybe I am blind, but where did he say the refs handed it to Anaheim because it is a big market?

You don't think the refs fudged those calls?

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Can we put the controversy aside for just a moment and recognize what a beast Russell was last night. This guy was laying it all the on the line and refusing to quit, despite the abuse he took. I couldn't give two ***** about what the analytics crowd says about this guy because he is a gamer who means so much more to this team than his numbers. Sign this guy first opportunity you get Chia.

Forgot to post about this. Glad you did. Fully agree.
I think and hope that is the end of the Russell sucks / don't resign him crap. For what he is - he is gold.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
22 pages between post and rebuttal but I can't handle your and many others attitude and view about this without saying my own.

Where we they total garbage? They 'protected' a 3-0 lead very well IMO for about 15 / 16 minutes of the third. Absolute chaos when goalie pulled and they got a lucky one scored against them.
Inexperienced young team w/o #3 D, relying on 1 raw and another basically still rookie to step up, while the Ducks press for another goal. And by pressing I mean doing everything possible - legal and NOT SO MUCH - to score. Somehow they managed to get another one.

Here is the point for you and everyone else bi***ing about mailing it in.
- if the PROPER call was made, and we closed out the game 3-2 as it should've been, we would all be talking about how we ALMOST choked the game away, argue back and forth about TMac and his personnel choices, what we need to do better to close out SERIES Sunday, and bicker on these boards about who should enter the series - Gryba or ...? Instead we were absolutely robbed of that.

I liken your stance to that if the NHL safety dept. or there BS lip service safety dept. I feel this is the same thing as when a foul is committed, they wait and actually consider the outcome of the infraction, re: whether or not the player that was on the receiving end of infraction, was injured. This is ludicrous and should have nothing to do with the play. It should either be a legal, safe, GOOD hit or not. Simple as that. Not what the outcome happens to be.

Same as this particular play. 15 seconds left in the game. I think it's safe to say that had the call been made correctly, the ensuing face off would not be in th Oilers zone, in fact to go even further the Ducks should have been penalized for Kessler's antics, and while plausible we choke as you say, I doubt we do not win.

I am at the point of disinterest in NHL garbage along with many others here. I have many questions for our coaching staff as we always do win or lose. That's what's fun about these boards - we are all armchair coaches and GMs! But this is not fun. This is heavy handed blatant forcing an outcome in a sport, not letting the game allow itself to choose its own champions and runner ups. Inexcusable.
What a terrific post.:handclap:

I especially enjoyed your second paragraph where you explained to the morons and trolls what actually happened and how it wasn't a collapse.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
You make a good point. However the answer lies in two factors I think.
1 - the real question is how we even got McDavid in the first place. That could be, as many believe, a conspiracy by itself.
2 - we simply don't need CMcD here. The league knows what the support for this team is in this city. And while it is certainly more exciting and enjoyable from the past decade, that past decade of ineptitude still held a sold out rink, a huge TV base (market inclusive), and very strong merchandising and marketing positions.

So we can argue about Hall vs Larsen, and stick our head in the sand for winning yet another lottery, but this team would eventually be strong enough (maybe not as quick and as good) and would have remained top level in sales with it without McDavid.

In the aspect of this series as well a couple more points I'd add are the fact that more games = more revenue generated. A compelling storyline of back and forth in this series between a young upstart team and a cup contender, with the latter having game 7 demons to cast off.

Finally the league knows the Oilers will be back in this position and having them fight through adversity and controversy will only put a huge chip on their shoulder, make them hungrier, more determined and in the long run a better team.

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
ya, no. We didn't lose because Anaheim is a big market. It's not. NHL could care less about this series in terms of viewership. If anything having McDavid would bring more viewers next round than anaheim.

Um, what?

Said we got screwed by imbalanced reffing, and not going to respond to you chastising a point of view I don't even hold.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
In the aspect of this series as well a couple more points I'd add are the fact that more games = more revenue generated. A compelling storyline of back and forth in this series between a young upstart team and a cup contender, with the latter having game 7 demons to cast off.

Finally the league knows the Oilers will be back in this position and having them fight through adversity and controversy will only put a huge chip on their shoulder, make them hungrier, more determined and in the long run a better team.

You are absolutely correct! When we can look at the whole picture without emotion, that shows up very clear.
And I am now on board with everyone else who suspects that the league in collusion with there owners, do all that is possible to stretch out any and all series - FOR MAXIMUM PROFIT - as long as possible.

We may have just witnessed the ugly bottom of it that they hope never gets exposed, but unfortunately for them did once the wheels were turning.

However saying that - Is that now ad admission for myself that I am a believer that a conspiracy is in play? Scary ...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00