Post-Game Talk: Ducks 3, Canucks 1

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I mean it is beating a dead horse -- WD's decisions are questionable at best and abhorrent at the worst. I expected the score to be worse than it was, so I guess that's a positive.

At the end of the day it's one more hack at the tree truck that is WD's NHL career. I feel bad in a weird way because he does seem like a nice guy but it's clear that he can't adapt or understand fundamentals required to do his job. As crap as this team is the roster is better than their record if he would just play players in somewhat of a logical fashion.

Are we talking about WD or Benning?

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
at least willie's not playing dorsett more than the sedins when down a goal right now :sarcasm:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Sutter plays more than sidney Crosby :laugh:

Wow this is actually correct, sutter even averages a full shift over crosby. Sutter is currently playing more and averageing 2.4 more shifts per game than henrik sedin. WTF WD

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I'm so sick of this trap hockey that we are playing. Talk about boring hockey, I would rather play run and gun hockey.

Everyone would love to play run-and-gun hockey.

The problem is, trap hockey is the best way for bad teams to stay competitive. We're a bad team, so we're trapping.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Everyone would love to play run-and-gun hockey.

The problem is, trap hockey is the best way for bad teams to stay competitive. We're a bad team, so we're trapping.

What are you talking about, this is a wildcard team!!!

We should play run-and-gun and accept we are bad. Let the youngins develop into the system we want to play, that way he when we do want to compete they won't have to adjust their game.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

We should play run-and-gun and accept we are bad. Let the youngins develop into the system we want to play, that way he when we do want to compete they won't have to adjust their game.

Agreed.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

We should fire Willie and hire Marc Crawford and play his system. At least it would be fun.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
That was a game the Ducks essentially dominated control from start to finish and half of their roster slept through the game.

I don't think the canucks played poorly they were just remarkably outclassed. This was a game that showed the weakness of the blueline right now and it should be weak with 2 rookies and a sophmore combining for over 60 minutes and the other 3 guys being 5-7 types on good teams. A lot of lost puck battles, poor decisions, poor breakouts and poor clearances. The wingers were a contributing factor on the issues with clearances and breakouts.

I think the score was flattering and only close because a good chunk of the Ducks did sleep through the game.

Anyways...on changing a system to something more exciting. It doesn't matter what the system is, if the team is losing people are not going to be entertained for long. And really does it make sense to play a system where the team is going to lose even more? Is that really a help now or in the future?

More to the point you don't need to develop kids in a system you hope to play one day. To me that is the wrong way to do things. The system should be a reflection of the teams capabilities and this team quite frankly isn't capable so the trap is what they need to play. There is no guarantee the next coach or lineup can support the same type of system next year as it does now. A system is always changing, at least it should, depending on a variety of factors. Players need to be flexible. And they are.

Interestingly through the 5-4-1 stretch they have had right now that they seem quite proud of, they've lost ground on nearly everyone in a playoff spot. They've gained one point on Minnesota and two on Edmonton. That's how hard it is to gain ground in the NHL. To add: this game was the perfect demonstration of why this team needs to simply concentrate on rebuilding rather than looking for a wildcard spot. They don't have depth to withstand injuries and even healthy they barely have the horses to be competitive in the long run. Linden and Benning need to swallow their pride, put their egos aside and tear it down completely. If you can get some assets for your mediocre age gap players then do it.

Provies summarizes the gameplan well:

The coach played his best line less to get his fourth line more time.

He played Megna with the twins. He played Sutter with the twins.

The team did nothing to target KB2 who has been among the worst defencemen in the league.

And the Canucks basically just let Old 17 have his way all night.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/the-provies-willie-puts-the-w-in-wtf-old-17-gets-his-revenge-and-why-its-guddy-time

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Kinda have to wonder about something being up with the entire 2nd intermission dedicated to talking up Sbisa and then he's randomly named 2nd star in a game where he did ... nothing that I can recall. Some kind of directive from the Canucks to pump this player's tires? For what purpose?

It was an odd segment. Let's look at this clip segment of good plays! No one doubts he makes some good plays. Every hockey player near and at the NHL level do. But they forget to show his giveaways, poor clearances etc which is what the problem with his game is. He might be getting a bit better in that regard but he's still not good and he wasn't last night (no one on the blueline was particularly good in their own zone to be honest).

And Willie...my god you finally took Sutter off the Sedins wing and put Megna there? Seriously? Wow. Or as Botchford put they went from Willie tying one hand behind their backs by playing them with Sutter to tying both hands behind their backs. And Sutter, he can go from having the Sedins make him look semi-presentable as a player and becoming completely invisible again. And there is another 4.5 years of this left...hard to believe anybody really taking that contract on to be honest.

Last edited:

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Apparently Willie was saying post-game that Horvat should have played more. Maybe one day he'll realize he has control over these kinds of decisions?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Apparently Willie was saying post-game that Horvat should have played more. Maybe one day he'll realize he has control over these kinds of decisions?

These are always my favorite lines from coaches. It happens all the time in the NFL and NHL, coaches routinely talk about needing to get guys more plays/snaps. You're the coach!

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
honestly, it's probably better that he underplays Horvat rather than overplays him at this point. Way easier to ruin a player by wearing them down.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

um, isn't that what kevin lowe did for years?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
looking at the game summary, horvat is getting the same number of shifts as the top players, but he and his entire line takes sub 40 second shifts, whereas everyone else on the team including chaput and megna takes 50 second shifts.

is willie doing that? is he yanking them off the ice mid shift or for faceoffs? i do not see it if it is happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad