GDT: Ducks 2022 Pre-Season GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
This game had basically the same character as the last one. The Ducks aren't a possession team, they're a poor defensive team with a quick strike ability. I suspect we'll be outshot in most of our wins. I don't like extrapolating much from preseason to regular season but I was pretty disappointed in the power play overall, didn't think it looked good in most games.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
This game had basically the same character as the last one. The Ducks aren't a possession team, they're a poor defensive team with a quick strike ability. I suspect we'll be outshot in most of our wins. I don't like extrapolating much from preseason to regular season but I was pretty disappointed in the power play overall, didn't think it looked good in most games.
Fair Assesment..

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah it‘s only preseason but you can see it on the horizon already. I thought the PP looked lethal at times tonight, and scored a goal but before this game was meh, so agree there. Maybe because it didn‘t have Zegras before this game?

I agree about the possession game. Too many one and dones, or none and dones, and they are not keeping pressure in the offensive zone and are still being pinned in theirs. Not Good.

If they were able to win more puck battles on the boards, keep a cycle going in the opponents zone it would be different. The D is just not physical enough. I also think the PK will be the death of them this season.

One positive thing, I do think if they can get their Offensive game going and more consistent and have a Top 10 PP in the league, they may be able to out score their D issues, but need at least a solid game form Gibson. I see the potential there but it needs a lot of work.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don’t think Thrun has the same value as Faber and the Boston 1st is 3 spots worse than the kings pick.

It was more like Zellweger + Boston 1st
Id imagine zellweger is significantly higher valued than faber... much more than 3 picks in mid/late 1st.

Reactions: Duck Off

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
We just have way too much difficulty winning possession in the D-zone. nothing new, this team will continue to struggle until we have the horses to win more battles.

I'm not terribly worried, they definitely looked worse today than on Tuesday so it's there sometimes. but it will probably be a tough year again

Reactions: Leonardo87

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Thanks for all the updates throughout the game. I caught the highlights, but reading up on all the game events is much better.

Now I know what plays y'all are complaining about with the video of McTavish stuck in the middle of the high man with many angles to attack or the low man. It was a great pass that Drysdale couldn't prevent. But the reason that play looked that bad was Kulikov taking himself out of the play for a hit and leaving a 3 kings v 2 ducks situation where the king players are spaced out well. Maybe if the Ducks forward saw Kulikov coming, the that forward could have peel off and dove down to replace Kulikov's position.

The highlight didn't show how soft we are in our end, but the GDT did. Manson and Lindholm didn't get enough credit from the fanbase, but now it's apparent of their physical, defensive value lost. We're imbalanced on the blue line, but hopefully that imbalance could help us score a lot more than today. It's still very early and we're still sorting ourselves out

BTW, that McTavish goal all started with McTavish winning a board battle and hustling his ass up the ice as he saw Terry flying up alone. That's good recognition of McTavish instead of going in for the line change. His goal score needs to be seen in slow motion to appreciate how much he does in so very little time in front of Quick.

The Shattenkirk thing seems to be unnecessarily hyperfocused, but then omits the rest of the bad plays by other defensive players. We're not a defensive blue line since the TDL, we're an offensive one for now.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Why are we leaving guys all alone down low. McTavish, what are you doing?
I have noticed this the last 3 games; there is a LOT of open space in the low slot and opposing players almost ALWAYS find ways into it unchecked. It's as though we are intentionally trying to keep the attackers at the perimeter, but there is confusion about assignments and opponents get behind us. It's costing us.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I have noticed this the last 3 games; there is a LOT of open space in the low slot and opposing players almost ALWAYS find ways into it unchecked. It's as though we are intentionally trying to keep the attackers at the perimeter, but there is confusion about assignments and opponents get behind us. It's costing us.
That's because there is no structured team defense. This coach does not teach that.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

This is what I was saying about McTavish being caught in no-man's land. On that particular play, Strome didn't stick with his man as they both swung around behind the goalie. Kulikov was already engaged with the player up top fighting for the puck, but Strome decided to unnecessarily help Kulikov. The pass got through Strome to the open forward down low (Strome's assignment). McTavish noticed Fiala drifting across the crease and Doughty coming down the slot.

We've got too many new people who don't know the system yet. That's my best hope that the Ducks can eventually correct. Last year's team knew the system b/c it was implemented the year prior for the COVID 56-game season. Over half our defense are new (Klingberg, Kulikov, Beaulieu) and four new forwards (Strome, Vatrano, McTavish, and Regenda).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
That's because there is no structured team defense. This coach does not teach that.

Ducks2021-22
Game SetGPGFGF/GPGAGA/GPGDGD/GP.GamesWLOTLPts
Total822322.832713.30-39
-0.48​
82​
31​
37​
14​
76​
Gm 1 - 33331043.15912.7613
0.39​
33​
17​
9​
7​
41​
Gm 34 - 6229762.621063.66-30
-1.03​
29​
10​
16​
3​
23​
Gm 63 - 8220522.60743.70-22
-1.10​
20​
4​
12​
4​
12​

1-33: Mostly healthy.​
34-62: Lindholm missed 2 games, Fowler missed 4 games, and Manson missed 16 games.​
63-82: Lindholm, Manson, and Des traded away.​

I keep hearing this rhetoric that you espouse incessantly, but that's all it is... rhetoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad