Post-Game Talk: Ducks 2 Oilers 1 - 30 second swing

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Obviously it is going to happen if he doesn't start making more of impact. Had his first real season for the oilers last year and produced. I would hate to lose him if he does get sent down. I'm sure there are other teams that see value in him.
What value is that exactly? A guy that can’t score, doesn’t fight, loses puck battles on a regular basis, misses the net in close or shoots at the goalies crest. I don’t see how he helps this team at all. Kills penalties? That can be taught to anyone

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
What ticks me off about Klef is his half--assed attempts to clear pucks out of the zone defending powerplays. Time after time, I've seen him try to shoot the puck out and it goes right to the opposing player's stick at the point instead of going out.
Klef is overrated. Kind of dumb like some of the other players at times.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
What value is that exactly? A guy that can’t score, doesn’t fight, loses puck battles on a regular basis, misses the net in close or shoots at the goalies crest. I don’t see how he helps this team at all. Kills penalties? That can be taught to anyone
That 's the problem isn't though? We know he can score, he can fight and can win puck battles. But he's not going right now but he isn't the only one. PK can be taught, doesn't mean that player can be good at it. He is 24, 6'4" on a value contract. Agree to disagree, I have time for the player.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
That 's the problem isn't though? We know he can score, he can fight and can win puck battles. But he's not going right now but he isn't the only one. PK can be taught, doesn't mean that player can be good at it. He is 24, 6'4" on a value contract. Agree to disagree, I have time for the player.
Which is why I said sit him or send him down. After 20 games he’s not producing in any meaningful ways. Others have sat due to poor play, when is it his turn?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Which is why I said sit him or send him down. After 20 games he’s not producing in any meaningful ways. Others have sat due to poor play, when is it his turn?
Well he has more points then Kassian, Brodziak combined. Produces at the same rate as Lucic at 1/6 of value. The first person I would be sending down would be Benning first, before thinking of doing anything with Khaira. And I did agree with you, if he doesn't get his play up to standard, he will probably be sent down.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Well he has more points then Kassian, Brodziak combined. Produces at the same rate as Lucic at 1/6 of value. The first person I would be sending down would be Benning first, before thinking of doing anything with Khaira. And I did agree with you, if he doesn't get his play up to standard, he will probably be sent down.
Haha, good pull on Lucic. He could use a game or two in the nosebleeds. I’m sure Kass and Brodz have sat as well. Benning? I’d rather have a shiny nickel than waste 1.9M on him, he can hit the road anytime now

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

space321

May 11, 2011
I’d have to agree with most everything you said except your take on Khaira. He’s been given more opportunity than most of our bottom 6 guys, it’s time to sit him or send him down. If he gets claimed, and I doubt he does, then so be it. Guys like him are a dime a dozen

This is a really biased take regarding Khaira imo.

He has been playing steady 4th line minutes all season, so idk why you say he's gotten more opportunity than others. He produced 5 assists, that's the same contribution as Lucic, and better than every other bottom 6 forward on this team. Not to mention Lucic got 3 of his points on the powerplay. The rest of the bottom 6 needs to be scratched before Khaira.

Also I don't understand this place's obsession with shitting on our 3rd pairing D and 4th liners. Replace them with similar calibre players and this roster still isn't good enough. The middle 6 depth just isn't there.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
This is a really biased take regarding Khaira imo.

He has been playing steady 4th line minutes all season, so idk why you say he's gotten more opportunity than others. He produced 5 assists, that's the same contribution as Lucic, and better than every other bottom 6 forward on this team. Not to mention Lucic got 3 of his points on the powerplay. The rest of the bottom 6 needs to be scratched before Khaira.

Also I don't understand this place's obsession with ****ting on our 3rd pairing D and 4th liners. Replace them with similar calibre players and this roster still isn't good enough. The middle 6 depth just isn't there.
He was gifted some pp time and the puck ended up in our net, that’s on him. Giveaway in our zone in Washington ended up in our net. His piss poor defensive play alone has been worse than any of his linemates. 0 goals after 20 games. 1 fight. You want to commend him for a few secondary assists?

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I have no idea why there weren't d-men clearing the front on that tying goal; that was Klefbom's side and it looked like he was just hoping that Larsson would teleport through three players to cover for him. He needs to be smarter defensively if he isn't making outlet passes or creating anything offensively

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
They really shut the door for most of the game. These sudden implosions are very unfortunate, as every single point is sorely needed at this point. Still, it's impressive that the team is getting the hang of Hitchcock's defensive priorities so quickly. I think pretty soon they'll be shutting the door toward the end of games, as well as scoring more on transitions during the course of games.

space321

May 11, 2011
He was gifted some pp time and the puck ended up in our net, that’s on him. Giveaway in our zone in Washington ended up in our net. His piss poor defensive play alone has been worse than any of his linemates. 0 goals after 20 games. 1 fight. You want to commend him for a few secondary assists?

Off the top of my head he had a primary assist to Caggiula short handed, and two primary assists for Brodziak's two goal game. That's already better than Lucic. Not to mention JJ is only a -2 and Lucic is a whopping -9. Talk about misdirected anger. Replace JJ I don't mind, just don't expect it to change anything lol.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Off the top of my head he had a primary assist to Caggiula short handed, and two primary assists for Brodziak's two goal game. That's already better than Lucic. Not to mention JJ is only a -2 and Lucic is a whopping -9. Talk about misdirected anger. Replace JJ I don't mind, just don't expect it to change anything lol.
It’s real easy to attack Lucic. He was also playing/stuck with Strome. And I don’t recall giveaways that directly led to pucks in our net, but Khaira’s are burned in

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Ducks should have at least had another goal making it a tie game. No one remembers that. They could have lost 20-1 in regulation, so count your blessings. In the old days any part of the puck crossing the red line was considered a goal.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Can we send Lucic down to AHL? His salary is a sunk cost at this point, don't lose games because you feel the need to justify that abysmal contract.
The answer is no he has an NMC, unless he waives his clause he's got a permanent roster spot on the Oilers for the duration of his contract, he can be bought out, but it's highly impractical.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Oilers never dominate any team when they are winning. Even the 6-2 Montreal game was close until the last period. Like to see them not backoff and attack or check the opposition tightly at every instance. Also they ring off the board randomly instead of shooting or passing with a purpose. Seems like the only players with an IQ are MacD, RNH. and maybe Drai and Larsson. Alas they are not capable of dong that.

space321

May 11, 2011
It’s real easy to attack Lucic. He was also playing/stuck with Strome. And I don’t recall giveaways that directly led to pucks in our net, but Khaira’s are burned in

You're so stupid if you think Khaira is costing us wins lol

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Have a hard time hating on the 3rd line and Lucic included. They had good chances all night. Nothing bad happened against when they were out there until that last minute. 17 shot attempts for, just 4 against with Lucic at 5v5 tonight, no quality chances against. But, in Oilers fashion, the aggression was completely gone from them in that last shift. I'm sure Hitch was expecting something different, but hopefully he gets how scared this team acts late in games, it's part of who this team has been these last few years. It needs to be broken.

I could be wrong but I thought they got trapped out there. I think there was supposed to be a line change, 3rd line looked gassed.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
They really shut the door for most of the game. These sudden implosions are very unfortunate, as every single point is sorely needed at this point. Still, it's impressive that the team is getting the hang of Hitchcock's defensive priorities so quickly. I think pretty soon they'll be shutting the door toward the end of games, as well as scoring more on transitions during the course of games.
Im not sure why everyone is ripping on Lucic and the rest. We played a very solid game and the Ducks lucked out for 45 seconds of the game. The Lucic line played good, and the team is looking like a team.

We always need someone to bark on after a loss.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Klefbom is terrible, Drai was playing like a lazy moron, his clearing attempt is what lead to the almost goal that Russell saved the day on and I hate Lucic so much, not that the goal was directly his fault but by having a competent line out there it could've been prevented or been a 2-0 regulation win...

Ugh, let's just hope Hitch learns from this. 1 point isn't bad though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad