Ducks 1st Team ever to have prospects win DotY in all CHL leagues

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Rather than have it discussed in multiple player threads, this first occurrence in NHL history seems worthy of its own thread.

Defensemen of the Year for the 2022-2023 season:
Tristan Luneau (QMJHL)
Pavel Mintyukov (OHL)
Olen Zellweger (WHL)

Congrats to the guys on three outstanding seasons. As a sidenote, Tyson Hinds also won defensive defenseman of the year in the QMJHL.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Been calling this for months.

Mintyukov is lucky Clarke didn’t play a full season.

I’ll say that.

I guess… but this woulda been clarkes draft year + 2, this is Mintyukov draft year +1.

I imagine Mintyukov would put up absurd numbers next year if he was playing juniors

Reactions: ScarTroy

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I guess… but this woulda been clarkes draft year + 2, this is Mintyukov draft year +1.

I imagine Mintyukov would put up absurd numbers next year if he was playing juniors
Both are ‘03‘s. Both in their last season of junior eligibility, so comparing them directly actually has merit.

Idk if age plays into the voting but if Saginaw kept him and Clarke played a full season it might still be a discussion.
Clarke was the best player, not only defender in the OHL this year, these awards are rarly handed out to players that play such few games though.

Clarke was dominate in a way Mintyukov wasn’t this year, at any point. He made Barrie one of the best teams in the league after his arrival, where as before he arrived they were a middle of the league team - Clarke was too good for the league, he should have been in the AHL.

LePerilsofPerreault

Mar 20, 2022
Tryna get away, man
Both are ‘03‘s. Both in their last season of junior eligibility, so comparing them directly actually has merit.

Clarke was the best player, not only defender in the OHL this year, these awards are rarly handed out to players that play such few games though.

Clarke was dominate in a way Mintyukov wasn’t this year, at any point. He made Barrie one of the best teams in the league after his arrival, where as before he arrived they were a middle of the league team - Clarke was too good for the league, he should have been in the AHL.
I get you, that’s why I brought up age. A 19 year old putting up 100 points would have been crazy but obviously Clarke is more refined.

9 month difference btw, if Minty was still eligible for the O next season after getting some NHL time that would be more of a direct comparison.

Last edited:

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Didn't Dallas do that a year ago with...

Stankoven WHL
Johnston OHL
Bourque QMJHL

Did Bourque not win that year or am I confused? Pretty sure all three lead their respective leagues in scoring or something like that.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Anaheim has always been Dman drafting gurus
We just don't know which ones to keep and be patient with lol.
Montour - now a 73 point Dman.
Lindholm - now a 53 point shutdown Dman.
Theodore - has paced 50+ point rate past 4 season, missed games due to injuries or NHL shortened covid seasons.

Both Schultz and Gardiner had 50+ point seasons.
We still have Fowler who's career high is 48 points this season on the worst team in the league and the team that set the record for most shots given up in a season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
We just don't know which ones to keep and be patient with lol.
Montour - now a 73 point Dman.
Lindholm - now a 53 point shutdown Dman.
Theodore - has paced 50+ point rate past 4 season, missed games due to injuries or NHL shortened covid seasons.

Both Schultz and Gardiner had 50+ point seasons.
We still have Fowler who's career high is 48 points this season on the worst team in the league and the team that set the record for most shots given up in a season.
Lol yes very true... All the better dmen that Anaheim has drafted always seem to get traded away!!

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I imagine some teams who can't draft defensemen will be hanging around the Ducks' table like this -

mr-bean-exam.gif

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Quite impressive. Nicely done Ducks staff. Should be one hell of a blue line in a few years.

Who do Ducks fans see as having the highest potential? Point producer? Shut down?

Drysdale
Minty
Zellweger
Luneau
Hinds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad