Post-Game Talk: Ducks 1 @ Canucks 2 (SO) | Happy New Year | 1/1/16

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Oh, I'm definitely the same. I've missed most of the games over the holidays.

This is probably the most boring/least inspiring incarnation of this team since the 1980s. Even at that, though, it's still interesting to follow, if not always in a positive way.

But still, no matter what, I can't stomach people cheering for their team to lose. It's pathetic.

Well if it helps I refrain from "cheering to lose" in the GDT as I respect that the two sides don't mix overly well. But I do appreciate having the Tank thread to vent and voice some level of "dark hope" for the draft fortunes of this team. While I get that you don't care for the sentiment of that posters like us I don't agree that it is anything resembling "gutless" or whatever pejoratives get tossed around. It is just a different prioritization of the team's short term and long term fortunes. Losing or winning a single game doesn't really mean much to me as both happen frequently in an 82 game season. What I do care about is that at the end of the season we have made some measurable progress in building a team I can care about again. Getting to the playoffs on a team driven by the Sedins and a bunch of plugs doesn't do that for me. Having a chance to draft a future exciting and talented player does. Just a different time horizon in my eyes.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Mediocre, competitive hockey is for losers.

We have needed to have drafted top 3 picks to make the last two cup finals. Sedin Sedin Linden and Nedved (Brown, Hedican Lafayette). Drafting top 3 is pretty much a necessity to win a cup....not that anyone should have to explain that.

"Pretty much a necessity"

This maniacally reductive logic makes it seem like A + B = C. Oh, if only it were so easy to win the Stanley Cup. If I may sink to your logic for a second, you should look up the last 20 Conn Smythe winners and come back to me with a tally of how many of them are top 3 picks. Is my request maniacally reductive? Absolutely, but I'm merely asking you to play your own game here.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I always cheer for the team to win, but the result isn't as important to me as some of our young or improving players playing well.

The problem is last night we had Virtanen, McCann, Baertschi, and Pedan all out for various reasons. So there goes part of that. I also am intrigued to watch the lightning rod players - Sbisa, Dorsett, Sutter, etc because these are guys we are tied to for awhile and tracking improvement or regression with these players is important. Again, two of those guys out.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Punch Maclean was on the skytrain last night which was awesome

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Mediocre, competitive hockey is for losers.

We have needed to have drafted top 3 picks to make the last two cup finals. Sedin Sedin Linden and Nedved (Brown, Hedican Lafayette). Drafting top 3 is pretty much a necessity to win a cup....not that anyone should have to explain that.

- 2011 Bruins.
- 2008 Red Wings.
- 2007 Ducks.

Then there are teams that have been to the finals, but haven't won the cup.

- 2014 Rangers.
- 2012 Devils.
- 2010 Flyers.
- 2006 Oilers.

Then there are several other examples of competitive teams who haven't drafted top 3.

- Dallas is looking monstrous and they haven't drafted top 3.
- Minnesota is 8th in the league, don't recall seeing them pick in the top 3.
- Nashville has been quite a good team (and gave the 2011 team a run for their money) without picking in the top 3.
- Remember when the Yotes went to the conference finals? I don't recall seeing them draft in the top 3.
- How about the 2006-2007 Buffalo Sabres who won the President's Trophy? When did they draft in the top 3?

TL;DR - I'm not going to deny that picking in the top 3 is helpful, but it's not "pretty much a necessity to win a cup". There's so much parity in the league, anything can happen. Sure, some of those teams have top 3 picks on their roster, but they weren't impactful at the time(s) of their success, or they weren't originally drafted by the organization.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
"Pretty much a necessity"

This maniacally reductive logic makes it seem like A + B = C. Oh, if only it were so easy to win the Stanley Cup. If I may sink to your logic for a second, you should look up the last 20 Conn Smythe winners and come back to me with a tally of how many of them are top 3 picks. Is my request maniacally reductive? Absolutely, but I'm merely asking you to play your own game here.

Here are the conn smythe since the salary cap

D 54th overall
F 28th overall
F 1st overall
goalie
goalie
3rd overall
2nd overall
210th overall
goalie

Considering there are about 40 players in the final, and all but one of those teams had top 3 drafted stars anyway, backs up the case for getting elite picks.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I agree it isn't absolutely *necessary* to draft top 3 to win a cup it is the only high percentage method for getting elite talent. I mean it's awesome if you can pull a Jamie Benn out of the 5th round or a PK Subban out of the 2nd but those are honestly "lucky" picks that, even if we had a strong drafting and development program, would still be low probability of finding those gems after the first half dozen picks. And what sign has anyone seen from this team that we have even a median quality D&D system, let alone a top end one that can replenish this team's mostly-over-30 roster with high end talent in the next 4-6 years?

While it certainly is *possible* I don't like either the odds nor the time horizon for that happening. I feel much more confident finding that talent in the first 5 picks of the draft than elsewhere.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
- 2011 Bruins.
- 2008 Red Wings.
- 2007 Ducks.

Then there are teams that have been to the finals, but haven't won the cup.

- 2014 Rangers.
- 2012 Devils.
- 2010 Flyers.
- 2006 Oilers.

Then there are several other examples of competitive teams who haven't drafted top 3.

- Dallas is looking monstrous and they haven't drafted top 3.
- Minnesota is 8th in the league, don't recall seeing them pick in the top 3.
- Nashville has been quite a good team (and gave the 2011 team a run for their money) without picking in the top 3.
- Remember when the Yotes went to the conference finals? I don't recall seeing them draft in the top 3.
- How about the 2006-2007 Buffalo Sabres who won the President's Trophy? When did they draft in the top 3?

TL;DR - I'm not going to deny that picking in the top 3 is helpful, but it's not "pretty much a necessity to win a cup". There's so much parity in the league, anything can happen. Sure, some of those teams have top 3 picks on their roster, but they weren't impactful at the time(s) of their success, or they weren't originally drafted by the organization.

You're right, but they still have a second overall on their team. Perhaps Benning should start a strategy of trading for players who were drafted top 3, especially with his trading skills.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Team may be boring and the bandwagon does feel lighter but at least this team doesn't have the poisoned atmosphere that 2014 and the Messier years had.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
You're right, but they still have a second overall on their team. Perhaps Benning should start a strategy of trading for players who were drafted top 3, especially with his trading skills.

I heard Drouin's looking for a nice new home :nod:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Sadly, this is probably likely.

The comments on him were to this extent - about his 'try' and 'compete'. Whether they grasp that his defensive reads and gap control are the best on the team aside from Tanev and Hamhuis is extremely debatable.

Biega obviously does try hard and have great work ethic. But he's succeeding because of his intelligence, not his 'try'.

It's sickening.

If we utterly suck balls and draft #4 overall in June, I'll enjoy it in June. And I'll be cognizant that this benefit exists as we're losing. But I will never, ever sit there and cheer for my team to lose. It's absolutely disgusting and so are the gutless anti-fans promoting this sort of attitude. Go cheer for Edmonton, losers.

This management group is sickening. The hope is we cheer for losses, team loses, management is replaced. The way I see it, cheering for this team is cheering for the product management has given us. I cannot support this management group.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
It's sickening.

If we utterly suck balls and draft #4 overall in June, I'll enjoy it in June. And I'll be cognizant that this benefit exists as we're losing. But I will never, ever sit there and cheer for my team to lose. It's absolutely disgusting and so are the gutless anti-fans promoting this sort of attitude. Go cheer for Edmonton, losers.

It's pragmatic.

This team needs to "suck balls" before Benning and Weisbrod are fired, and I know you absolutely despise them.

If this team has even a modicum of success, you can be damn well sure these morons will be hitched to the Canucks for the foreseeable future.

It sucks and isn't ideal, but it's just the way it is.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Was at the game with the fiance

Glad that we won. I still cheer for wins even if I think we are screwed until we get a change of management. Really think Bo is due for a break out.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
I've been a Canucks fan since day one, went to a bunch of games in their first season. After the way the fans acted after cup losses and the hate towards 19 year old kids unfortunate to be drafted by this team, and the ******** media hacks this fan base deserves another 45 yrs of mediocrity. I would be thrilled if the team moved to Quebec. Vancouver deserves it.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I've been a Canucks fan since day one, went to a bunch of games in their first season. After the way the fans acted after cup losses and the hate towards 19 year old kids unfortunate to be drafted by this team, and the ******** media hacks this fan base deserves another 45 yrs of mediocrity. I would be thrilled if the team moved to Quebec. Vancouver deserves it.

Weren't you going to leave this forum? Or are you just going to keep "threatening" it?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00