Dubois

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Coaching and deployment.

With two high end skill guys he is deployed net front and PP1, Jets have good success.

Now he is saddled with a rookie and spare parts with barely a whiff of PP time.

I actually want to see him on the LW with Kopi and Kempe, as I have said for months.

Tell PLD he is being deployed like he was in Peg, net front.

I think it would work but if not I swap PLD with Fiala, as LW L3.

Byfield has hit the wall and most of the goals are coming from Kopi and Kempe doing most of the lifting.

Put Byfield on L3 with Fiala and Laferriere or Kaliyev, try both.

Laferriere has been getting pushed around a lot and may be a weak link in the playoffs at times.

Love Laffys progress and potential but he kind hit a wall too.

I thought Grunny Sack would be back for L4, but starting to wonder what's up.
So then the question is why trade for a 60 point winger with questionable desire and a total lack of defensive play and then turn around and drop this silly contract on him?

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
So then the question is why trade for a 60 point winger with questionable desire and a total lack of defensive play and then turn around and drop this silly contract on him?
I am not defending the PLD trade and signing but holding out hope for an upped performance in the playoffs, if not future seasons.

Blake long coveted PLD and he gets his guy when he can.
Kupari has made no progress, Iafallo is replaceable and Villardi has a long injury history.
Byfield was only on the first stage of his break out and looking less like C material than he did during his zenith this season.
PLD can take Kopi's spot in 3 seasons , on paper, pre trade, anyway.
For now he slots 2c or 3c and only earned 3c this season.

Yes the PLD trade and signing has not worked out to anyone's satisfaction thus far.

But it's obvious some of the thoughts and potential deployments he had in mind.

Still the playoffs and 7 more seasons to see and measure what happens.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
But what’s the difference between what Hiller has done and what Todd was doing?
I don’t know, I’m not in the room, but I will speculate. Several players have commented that they feel looser (I’m paraphrasing) and there are subtle differences in the systems. Sometimes different man management is enough and certainly in the world today you need to be able to treat players as individuals and handle them differently. I get the impression from Hiller that he does that.

He's not a play carrying center. He's at his best when he's a complementary--carried--winger.

I don't give a shit about his points over the last stretch when he visibly loses checks like it's going out of style--and ESPECIALLY with his pillowsoft matchups. What C in the NHL has f***ing KOPITAR AND DUBOIS taking all the tough matchups for him, and he's STILL getting outplayed? Like Athanasiou--this guy will LOSE us a series, not win us a series. Cool if he goes PPG and is still a net minus, its' just the worst version of Erik Karlsson.
He’s shown in this stretch that he can be a positive player overall (despite his obvious flaws) but he has to do it every night. 19 games is not enough.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Even at 60ish points on average during his contract, I think it was a bad trade and contract. But at least there are raw numbers that make it feel less horrible. I don't like his general play, but not sure if some of that is driven by bias.
I think if we had this version from the start, we’d be a bit more forgiving of things. I doubt we’d love the trade or the contract but we’d not be as hard on him as we have rightly been. So I do think there is bias … but PLD earned it.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
At this point you can’t argue that Pierre isn’t an improvement over Kupari as #3C going into the playoffs. And if you ignore the massive cost for that improvement you’re left hoping that the upgrade gets you to the second round. Big bets, small dreams. That’s the BLuc strategy.

jtalton

Sep 19, 2018
PLDumb.gif

15 seconds left in the period, dump it in and get to the locker room

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Supposedly two things are true at the same time. The Kings are built for game 83. Pierre is acquired for game 83.

If both work, then, props to management. If one or both don’t, then it’s a clearly failed strategy. The question going forward is how do you improve while also tackling hard decisions.

If Pierre isn’t a difference maker in two weeks and the team has cleaned out their lockers, then you have to question management’s core strategy.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Supposedly two things are true at the same time. The Kings are built for game 83. Pierre is acquired for game 83.

If both work, then, props to management. If one or both don’t, then it’s a clearly failed strategy. The question going forward is how do you improve while also tackling hard decisions.

If Pierre isn’t a difference maker in two weeks and the team has cleaned out their lockers, then you have to question management’s core strategy.
If PLD shows up for game 83. Then he'd float for games 84 -87 , and hopefully try again for game 88

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
losing our sweet pierre would be heartbreaking on SO many levels- im just not sure we could go on as a team or an organization. i feel faint at the thought of losing his handsome face and rugged good looks.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
View attachment 849371
15 seconds left in the period, dump it in and get to the locker room

Insane

One of three things will happen in short order. Either we miss the playoffs, in which case I hope we buy out Dubois, we lose in the first round, in which case I hope we buy out Dubois, or he steps up in a big, big way and single-handedly beats the Oilers en route to a Stanley Cup! In which case I hope we buy out Dubois.

I can’t take another seven years of this guy.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Insane

One of three things will happen in short order. Either we miss the playoffs, in which case I hope we buy out Dubois, we lose in the first round, in which case I hope we buy out Dubois, or he steps up in a big, big way and single-handedly beats the Oilers en route to a Stanley Cup! In which case I hope we buy out Dubois.

I like the way you think

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Insane

I think if he delivers on option 3 you’d put up with at least one more year… maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad