News: Dubas open to trading top prospects

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
like who? a Byfield level guy? Forsberg isnt getting that.

value wise, between Amirov/Robertson/1st it could get done.

Nashville is going to be looking for center prospects and better prospects in general. If you think they are taking 2 winger prospects and a late first you're dreaming.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lol, that's a horrible metric considering Nashville is closer to Buffalo and Ottawa than it is to Toronto.

Each guy also gets majority offensive zone starts. The state of the Predators certainly doesn't help Flips numbers, but there's not much supporting the earlier claim that Nylander is worse defensively. At least now or moving forwards

Reactions: Beleafer34

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
I already explained it.
JT Miller is better than Nylander in basically every part of hockey, he gets more points, he hits more, he plays multiple positions, his cap is cheaper.

You put everything together, and he is twice the player.
Miller is not perfect tho, I will say, He makes dumb passes, and turnovers from time to time, but overall, the guy is a damn good hockey player.

Were done here, going in circles.
He’s also 28 and Nylander is 24. They are close now and my guess is Nylander will be twice the player jt Miller is age 25, 26, 27, 28 etc. don’t believe me? Look at Jt Miller’s age 23-24 seasons and compare to Nylander

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Do the Leafs need defensive D-men, or two-way forwards? If my Canucks are out, any of Hamonic/ Pearson/ Sutter can be yours for center prospect (and add picks on top if acquiring multiple players);

e.g.
how is Hallander looking? Heard he has a good two-way and playmaking game.
Sandin (if available) would be nice too as a LD replacement for Edler (could be had if he wants out)

Also been browsing around and would be open to the return to include guys like Villeneuve and Rasanen (6'6" right shot D, who's a 2nd round pick? Sign me up)

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
How does Andreas Athanasiou from LA move the needle for Toronto. He has been excellent for LA this year and would slot right in to a top 6. Drives the play and creates his own chances out of nothing. Could be had for 600k cap hit at 50% retained, RFA next year but TBH LA will happily pay 3-4mil on his next contract hes been that impressive

Ledge And Dairy

Each guy also gets majority offensive zone starts. The state of the Predators certainly doesn't help Flips numbers, but there's not much supporting the earlier claim that Nylander is worse defensively. At least now or moving forwards
So basically if you ignore Forsberg's proven strong 2-way game from previous years when Nashville was competitive then Forsberg is as bad as Nylander defensively? This is like when people said Mark Stone was an average player before he was traded from Ottawa.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So basically if you ignore Forsberg's proven strong 2-way game from previous years when Nashville was competitive then Forsberg is as bad as Nylander defensively? This is like when people said Mark Stone was an average player before he was traded from Ottawa.

What I'm saying is Nylanders two way game has grown considerably and he's now achieving better defensive on ice results than Forsberg. What happened several seasons ago is irrelevant to what the players are today and will be in the near future.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He’s also 28 and Nylander is 24. They are close now and my guess is Nylander will be twice the player jt Miller is age 25, 26, 27, 28 etc. don’t believe me? Look at Jt Miller’s age 23-24 seasons and compare to Nylander
That's actually the best argument so far, The age thing does matter.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Do the Leafs need defensive D-men, or two-way forwards? If my Canucks are out, any of Hamonic/ Pearson/ Sutter can be yours for center prospect (and add picks on top if acquiring multiple players);

e.g.
Sandin (if available) would be nice too as a LD replacement for Edler (could be had if he wants out)

Also been browsing around and would be open to the return to include guys like Villeneuve and Rasanen (6'6" right shot D, who's a 2nd round pick? Sign me up)

e.g.

-leafs aren't exactly looking for defenseman. But it depends. A player like ekholm could be added it seems. Aka a high end #2. Leafs current d core is solid. They have 4 top 4 dman. So if we add we essentially push a top 4 dman to the bottom pairing.

-leafs need a top 6 lw. Leafs might need a 3c but it depends. Top 6 lw is the biggest need. 3c is an iffy want imo. Engvall has really emerged for the leafs.

- From the Canucks i guess Pearson is an expiring lw we would be interested. But he screens middle 6 player which im not sure about. Leafs really want a bonifde top 6 lw IMHO.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Forsberg is a far better player than Nylander. So is Miller for that matter.

Toronto simply doesn't have the pieces Nashville would want for Forsberg, assuming he was made available.

Toronto is a better team than Nashville. Playing on a better team doesn't suddenly make every player on your roster Gretzky, or all players on a worse team worse than your 4th or 5th most talented guy.

Plus/minus is not a reliable stat for saying a player is better defensively.

The sky is blue. Don't poke the bear. Remember to breathe.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
-leafs aren't exactly looking for defenseman. But it depends. A player like ekholm could be added it seems. Aka a high end #2. Leafs current d core is solid. They have 4 top 4 dman. So if we add we essentially push a top 4 dman to the bottom pairing.

-leafs need a top 6 lw. Leafs might need a 3c but it depends. Top 6 lw is the biggest need. 3c is an iffy want imo. Engvall has really emerged for the leafs.

- From the Canucks i guess Pearson is an expiring lw we would be interested. But he screens middle 6 player which im not sure about. Leafs really want a bonifde top 6 lw IMHO.

If you guys need more minute munchers on D (for reference the Lightning had 3-4 major minute guys in Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh and Cernak last year along with the likes of Coburn, Bogosian, Schenn and Rutta), Hamonic is pretty good.

Pearson would also come cheaper than other top 6 LWs like Hall, and he's fit really well next to Horvat in a top-6 shutdown role. He's gritty, gives good effort and smart (ask Colin White), and he'd fit in well next to skill. For either of them though I hope Hallander is the main piece coming back.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
If you guys need more minute munchers on D (for reference the Lightning had 3-4 major minute guys in Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh and Cernak last year along with the likes of Coburn, Bogosian, Schenn and Rutta), Hamonic is pretty good.

Pearson would also come cheaper than other top 6 LWs like Hall, and he's fit really well next to Horvat in a top-6 shutdown role. He's gritty, gives good effort and smart (ask Colin White), and he'd fit in well next to skill. For either of them though I hope Hallander is the main piece coming back.
Leafs have several guys who could minute munch(rielly, muzzin, holl, brodie). Even the aforementioned Bogosian.

I think if there's a deal it's maybbe pearson from Canucks thats about it.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
WHy compare Nylander and Miller. I think Miller is slightly better, you may think Nylander is. Canucks wouldn't have interest in this trade, they would only trade Miller for a young d.

What about something around Miller for Sandin+?
Why would Vancouver do this though?

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Robertson is such an underrated prospect. People undervalue him because he's 5'9" & was drafted in the late 2nd round of a draft he wouldn't have even been in if he was 5 days younger; he's 1 month older than Lafreniere #1, 8 days older than Jack Quinn #8. Maybe people forget about him because he sat out the WJC this year. If he didn't injure his knee he likely would have played more for the Leafs this season, in addition to last years playoffs. He's outperformed Jack Quinn #8 & Quinton Byfield #2 while playing in the same leagues & WJC (not Quinn) as them, and has some NHL playoff games under him. He is not like the rest of the Leafs prospects.

Reactions: Crosbyfan

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
We need young d badly.
Thinking it would take a lot more than Sandin for Miller. Miller's a great player with a good cap hit & term and a pretty perfect fit for them. If he were available Leafs should be all over that; Sandin's current place on their depth can be replaced in a separate deal. They have enough D prospects, & a strong left side that they'd be okay for the future there. I'd think he'd have at least as much trade value as Forsberg.

Edit: at least a 1st but nothing crazy

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Incoming: Toronto's prospect pool is weak.
Also incoming: Toronto's depth takes a tailspin because they don't have enough youngsters to fill out the bottom half of the roster.
Following the incoming, incoming: Toronto to go through rebuild/retool.
Probably not but let's pretend it's incoming: Toronto to hires PC, Kevin Lowe and Craig Mactavish to get the Toronto rebuild back on track.
Don't forget it's incoming: These new Toronto prospects are the best! Just a few years away (2045) and we'll finally win a cup again!

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
If the Leafs really feel they can compete and win a cup, of course you throw your chips in and hope it works out. Its great having good prospects but not good when you're not even competeing for the cup so I fully expect them too. Even in a weak Canada division they are still head and shoulders above the rest in the division and should try and make a serious attempt to win.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Forsberg is a far better player than Nylander. So is Miller for that matter.

Toronto simply doesn't have the pieces Nashville would want for Forsberg, assuming he was made available.

Toronto is a better team than Nashville. Playing on a better team doesn't suddenly make every player on your roster Gretzky, or all players on a worse team worse than your 4th or 5th most talented guy.

Plus/minus is not a reliable stat for saying a player is better defensively.

The sky is blue. Don't poke the bear. Remember to breathe.
yet that same argument is overlooked when attributing strong defensive play to Forsberg. Nsh played a strong D system which made players look better defensively than they are.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad