George Richards DT tried to get Stone

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Would have been a home run for sure!!! If we go after the Breadman, I'm sure the 9.5MM deal Stone signed will be the benchmark

From The Athletic:

As the days counted down on the NHL trade deadline, Dale Tallon came to the plate ready to hit one out of the park.

Tallon confirmed Monday evening that the Panthers made a substantial offer to Ottawa for star winger Mark Stone.

Only the Senators — perhaps still miffed Tallon pulled an end-around and landed former Ottawa forward Mike Hoffman through San Jose last summer — opted to make the big deal with Vegas.

The blockbuster deal some in the front office and ownership had whispered about last week never materialized.

“We made a good offer,” Tallon lamented, “just not good enough I guess.”

Vegas is reportedly signing Stone to an eight-year extension, something Tallon hinted the Panthers were willing to do as well.

Because Florida didn’t get Stone, Tallon couldn’t get into contractual specifics, but he would not have offered what he did to get Stone as a rental.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Vegas manages to screw Tallon. Again.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Would have been a home run for sure!!! If we go after the Breadman, I'm sure the 9.5MM deal Stone signed will be the benchmark

From The Athletic:

As the days counted down on the NHL trade deadline, Dale Tallon came to the plate ready to hit one out of the park.

Tallon confirmed Monday evening that the Panthers made a substantial offer to Ottawa for star winger Mark Stone.

Only the Senators — perhaps still miffed Tallon pulled an end-around and landed former Ottawa forward Mike Hoffman through San Jose last summer — opted to make the big deal with Vegas.

The blockbuster deal some in the front office and ownership had whispered about last week never materialized.

“We made a good offer,” Tallon lamented, “just not good enough I guess.”

Vegas is reportedly signing Stone to an eight-year extension, something Tallon hinted the Panthers were willing to do as well.

Because Florida didn’t get Stone, Tallon couldn’t get into contractual specifics, but he would not have offered what he did to get Stone as a rental.
Is this fact or fiction? I am sure everyone had a blockbuster deal in the making.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If I had to guess....

Vegas offered their top prospect and a second and a player.

We probably offered the same. However, seeing as our prospect wasnt as good as Brannstrom, Vegas probably asked for a first which is going to be a higher pick than Vegas'

Tallon likely balked at offering a top prospect AND a first. And let's not forget that Ottawa rule of trading within the division so Dorion likely inflated the price on purpose.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
If I had to guess....

Vegas offered their top prospect and a second and a player.

We probably offered the same. However, seeing as our prospect wasnt as good as Brannstrom, Vegas probably asked for a first which is going to be a higher pick than Vegas'

Tallon likely balked at offering a top prospect AND a first.

Yeah, that would be my assumption as well.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I just don't really trust many GM's to say the truthful thing.
Maybe what the season ticket holders want to hear. Lets see how he does in with the free agent market!

Dale has some kind of tell when he is being truthful. Last year, he seemed dejected we didnt get McDonagh. That was visible. We can all agree he really did make an offer and it fell apart at Borgstrom (damn).

I do believe he did make a high offer, though not as high as you'd wnat to believe. Maybe a 2nd and some high end prospects but not our best. But he also didnt seem too broken about it. Meaning Stone isnt his end game.

And Ill also add that the reason McPhee likely overpaid for Stone IS BECAUSE he gave up his top prospect. He essentially tied his own hands up.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Dale has some kind of tell when he is being truthful. Last year, he seemed dejected we didnt get McDonagh. That was visible. We can all agree he really did make an offer and it fell apart at Borgstrom (damn).

I do believe he did make a high offer, though not as high as you'd wnat to believe. Maybe a 2nd and some high end prospects but not our best. But he also didnt seem too broken about it. Meaning Stone isnt his end game.

And Ill also add that the reason McPhee likely overpaid for Stone IS BECAUSE he gave up his top prospect. He essentially tied his own hands up.

The reason Ottawa got the Brannstrom package was because McPhee had the parameters of a deal done with Stone. Ottawa is not getting that package if Stone is set to test free agency this summer.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The reason Ottawa got the Brannstrom package was because McPhee had the parameters of a deal done with Stone. Ottawa is not getting that package if Stone is set to test free agency this summer.
Well yes. But Stone had to agree to that extension too.

Point still stands, McPhee gave up his best prospect thus he had to give a figure that will get accepted.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Im glad we didn't get stone. Stone likely means no panarin

Stone is hardly a consolation prize. He is one of the best two way forwards in the game, and was above a PPG on a terrible Ottawa team. He and Barky would be one of the best defensive tandems in the league, and would control play in the O zone. Him and Bob would be just as good as a Panarin and Bob signing.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Would have loved Stone here, but all depends what we were offering. If it's a choice between sending assets to get him or the option of overpaying Bread on July 1st, I would rather get Bread for free and keep the assets for expansion draft purposes. This is just like a few years ago, would have loved to acquire Big Buff from Jets when they were shopping him, but happy with signing Yandle and keeping assets (even though I prefer Dustin's game much much more than Keith).

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Ottawa also didn’t want to be played by Florida again like in Hoffman deal. Plus, in same division. Those two points matter when comparing one close offer to another.
Thank you, this is the most obvious reason. Whats left of the hardcore fans in Ottawa don't deserve to have their team made to look even more silly for the next three years by being pummeled by both Hoffman and Stone in the same division and on the same team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad