Proposal: Drysdale trade

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I might get some heat for it, but I feel like Drysdale will grow into a better version of Fowler. Has a great first pass, transitions with the puck well, but I’m not too impressed with his shot.

This injury really ruined a good year of development

"Heat for it" in what way because the 6th overall pick becoming a better Fowler would be a tremendous pick

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I really don’t understand the “keep kicking the can down the road by 3-5 years” approach. Drysdale should be having a big jump this year, let’s trade him for a forward who won’t be here for 3-4 minimum, or a defenseman prospect who will take another 2-4 years to get to where he was last year. Let’s trade Fowler for a pick we hope will be as good as Fowler, in 3-5 years, while leaving the defensive corps without anyone who is better than a 5D (which is charitable), forcing us to either massively overpay for free agent top 4 D, or have to then use the trade assets we got for those players to trade for actual top 4 D, which everyone lives to trade…
I agree and I’ll also add that your top 4 d are extremely important for team success. Getting a high end forward could still be a big step back because we couldn’t replace Drysdale with guys in our system and free agency would require a massive overpayment. Basically, you don’t ever trade away top 4 d unless you have a legitimate replacement. Look how things panned out with Theodore and Montour.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I do not understand the general negativity surrounding Drysdale on this board. We’ll see how he recovers from that injury but he was on a strong trajectory and I’m excited to see him with competent coaching that has a track record of developing offensive D.

I can understand trading him for Michkov or Smith but I also get just holding on to him since he’s something that’s needed(RHD)

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I do not understand the general negativity surrounding Drysdale on this board. We’ll see how he recovers from that injury but he was on a strong trajectory and I’m excited to see him with competent coaching that has a track record of developing offensive D.

I can understand trading him for Michkov or Smith but I also get just holding on to him since he’s something that’s needed(RHD)
I think it's mostly the "small D are useless" crowd. Same people who don't think Zellweger can play in the NHL.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
You're not going to get a top 5 pick for an unproven prospect who missed an entire year of hockey and hasn't played since.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
I don't think it's the "small is useless" crowd, but a true top pairing dman has to be one of your top defensive dmen, especially on the PK. He doesn't have the physical size or strength to shut down guys or clear the crease. Drysdale is an offensive dman who can anchor our PP with great skating, passing and hockey IQ (don't think he has a cannon shot from the blue line?), but I see him as #2/3 at best. He's certainly not there yet on a competitive defensive unit.

I wouldn't give him away but if any of the Top 10 picks are offered and there's a player the Ducks covet available, I would seriously consider it.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I don't think it's the "small is useless" crowd, but a true top pairing dman has to be one of your top defensive dmen, especially on the PK. He doesn't have the physical size or strength to shut down guys or clear the crease. Drysdale is an offensive dman who can anchor our PP with great skating, passing and hockey IQ (don't think he has a cannon shot from the blue line?), but I see him as #2/3 at best. He's certainly not there yet on a competitive defensive unit.

I wouldn't give him away but if any of the Top 10 picks are offered and there's a player the Ducks covet available, I would seriously consider it.
So you wouldn't consider Makar, Fox, or Hughes "true top pairing" dmen?

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Trading Drysdale now before he's really had a chance to prove himself, and before any of our other prospects have even stepped foot on NHL ice, feels a LOT like sending Theo to Vegas because we had Montour, Mahura, etc. in the pipeline.

Hard pass for me, and I'll make sure Pat knows it when he finally wises up and calls me for trade advice.

Reactions: GermanRocket7

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I guess there is worry that Drysdale's value could go down depending on next season.
I think NHL teams would see red flags if the Ducks were trying to trade him for a pick around 6 to 12 overall but a team that is planning on picking Redenbacher and they are unable to get him might want to trade their pick for Drysdale if they aren't sold on Willander and Pellikka.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
So just curious on peoples' feedback here. To note, I'm a Drysdale fan, and I think he can be awesome for us. I expect a full recovery from last year's injury and am looking forward to seeing him next season.

That said, many have been saying things like "top pairing potential" / "strong trajectory" and while I DO think he can be that one day, are you all so certain of that? Even when paired with Lindholm his first year he was clearly struggling. I do think he's going to continue improving, but while I love his skating ability, I do have questions on where he'll end up at his peak.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So just curious on peoples' feedback here. To note, I'm a Drysdale fan, and I think he can be awesome for us. I expect a full recovery from last year's injury and am looking forward to seeing him next season.

That said, many have been saying things like "top pairing potential" / "strong trajectory" and while I DO think he can be that one day, are you all so certain of that? Even when paired with Lindholm his first year he was clearly struggling. I do think he's going to continue improving, but while I love his skating ability, I do have questions on where he'll end up at his peak.
And when you compare him to Zellweger, Zell has bigger muscles at a younger age than Drysdale when Dry was Zell's age. Then there is the point shot, Zell can hammer it, Drysdale shoots a muffin shot while Zell having as good or better playmaking ability too.

Then there is the difference in being rushed, Zell may end up being much much better because he wasn't rushed and is allowed to develop in juniors/AHL like Makar/Seider.

Reactions: branmuffin17

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Side note - trade Drysdale for 5th overall, and I would be very very surprised to see Terry or Zegras sign anything other than an overpriced 8 year contract or a contract designed to get them to arbitration/free agency. Zero chance those two want to be stuck in a perpetual rebuild. And they have time to wait and see.

Reactions: DavidBL

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
So you wouldn't consider Makar, Fox, or Hughes "true top pairing" dmen?
Since Makar and Fox are Norris winning dmen, I would have to consider them top pairing. Personally I think Makar>>Fox because he can play in all situations. I haven't seen anything yet in Drysdale that indicates he will rise up to this level. I hope he does one day.

I'm not convinced that Quinn Hughes is a top pairing dman that I would build my defense around since he cannot be used in all situations. Great PP quarterback but a situational dman playing on a poor defensive unit. :dunno:

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Since Makar and Fox are Norris winning dmen, I would have to consider them top pairing. Personally I think Makar>>Fox because he can play in all situations. I haven't seen anything yet in Drysdale that indicates he will rise up to this level. I hope he does one day.

I'm not convinced that Quinn Hughes is a top pairing dman that I would build my defense around since he cannot be used in all situations. Great PP quarterback but a situational dman playing on a poor defensive unit. :dunno:
I wasn't comparing Drysdale to the guys I mentioned, except for their size. Because you said anyone of his size couldn't be a top pairing guy. First it was size, now it's if they won the Norris. So you can't be a top pairing Dman at Drysdale's size unless you've won a Norris?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

I guess that might depend on if they try to develop him like Niedermayer or Fowler. Here's one vote for Scotty.

Reactions: Bergey37

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
If Jamie can add 10 lbs, he's just about Scotty's size; with his skating ability, I could easily see him becoming a roamer like Scotty was.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think this whole discussion is based on comments that it's hard for an undersized d man to be a number 1, not that they can't be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad