drying equipment help

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
so i have a little dilemma. i go to university and live in a smallish apartment with a roommate. playing hockey 2/3 times a week leaves my equipment soaked and smelly, but i dont have any place to put them without the risk of having my apartment smell bad or having them stolen..

i cant place it on our little patio because i live in a college apartment area and it would be stolen pretty easily, and i havent tried this but im pretty sure i cant hang my gear up on a rack and dry out because it will stink up the whole apartment. what ive been doing is having it sit in my car without the windows down a little, and it barely helps but my car reeks after..

any tips?

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
can you hang it in a room with a window and maybe use a small fan in the window to eject the funk. should dry pretty quickly 2-3 hrs.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
I have 2 big floor fans that dry out my gear completely in 1 or 2 hours. Are you in a situation where you could run fairly noisy fans for that long after hockey?

If you wash your gear then dry it out every time there won't be any smell.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
Dehumidifier would fix the problem. My stuff is dry overnight.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
Dehumidifier would fix the problem. My stuff is dry overnight.

Quoted for truth. Wash your gear so it's clean and then use a dehumidifier after every skate. Your stuff will be bone dry by the morning and the smell will barely be noticeable. I've been doing this for the past six months or so (after years of just air drying) and I will never go back.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
the humidifier works great, I didn't suggest it because he said he was a student and a cheap one runs about $150 US. I have a dehumidifier in my basement and hang my gear above it after every time I skate. (3-6 times a week) so if you have the money for one that's the best way.

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
can you hang it in a room with a window and maybe use a small fan in the window to eject the funk. should dry pretty quickly 2-3 hrs.

cant really do that as i have people over a lot and the only rooms are 2 bedrooms with bathrooms and a living room, also as someone said earlier i cant really afford a dehumidifier lol

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
If I can't put mine on the patio I put it in our bathroom for a few hours with the exhaust fan on and a box fan blowing on it

Subnordi

Jul 17, 2011
New Brunswick
We have a wood stove, so I just take mine down there and hang it all up so the blowers are blowing warm air on it, really dries it out fast and helps with the smell.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
If I have 2 games in the same day and it's hot outside I'll spray the top of the inside of my bag with Febreze antimicrobial. Seems to kill the odor if you don't have time to air dry your stuff.

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
If I have 2 games in the same day and it's hot outside I'll spray the top of the inside of my bag with Febreze antimicrobial. Seems to kill the odor if you don't have time to air dry your stuff.

This helps.

Do you have the option to request an upper floor room with a patio you could lay your equipment out?

The dehumidifier is probably going to be your best bet, but the cost is prohibitive. I can't really think of any better solution than that.

OilerNut*

I have a small closet where my hot water tank is in. The heat from the tank drys my equipment pretty fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad