DRW: Summer 2019 Prospect Rankings

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Alright folks, we did it, without further adieu, your top 25 prospects of summer 2019:

1. Filip Zadina - 74.1%
2. Moritz Seider - 64.1%
3. Joe Veleno - 93.1%
4. Jared McIsaac - 62.4%
5. Taro Hirose - 39.6%
6. Jonatan Berggren - 50.5%
7. Filip Larsson - 66%
8. Evgeny Svechnikov - 70.8%
9. Gustav Lindstrom - 39.8%
10. Albert Johansson - 25.3%
11. Robert Mastrosimone - 30.7%
12. Antti Tuomisto - 28.2%
13. Oliwer Kaski - 33.7%
14. Albin Grewe - 39.5% (51.8%)
15. Otto Kivenmaki - 39.5% (48.2%)
16. Alec Regula - 43.5%
17. Ethan Phillips - 32.3%
18. Jesper Eliasson - 27.1%
19. Kasper Kotkansalo - 24.5%
20. Seth Barton - 28.6%
21. Givani Smith - 19.3%
22. Chase Pearson - 15.9% (57.8%)
23. Vili Saarijarvi - 15.9% (42.2%)
24. Elmer Soderblom -33.3%
25. Ryan Kuffner - 28.8%

Feel free to discuss, or post any dissenting rankings contrary to the board's final list. And as always, thanks for participating.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thanks for doing this all summer @Cyborg Yzerberg

I said it while we were doing it but Smith and Pearson have a ton of NHL depth qualities, they are probably too low. I get going for newer guys or theoretical higher potential but it is harder to see them making it in the lower tier roles. Kontkansalo is another guy I see a ton of bottom pairing and 7th d-man qualities. They all skate well and play heavy responsible games.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Thanks for doing this all summer @Cyborg Yzerberg

I said it while we were doing it but Smith and Pearson have a ton of NHL depth qualities, they are probably too low. I get going for newer guys or theoretical higher potential but it is harder to see them making it in the lower tier roles. Kontkansalo is another guy I see a ton of bottom pairing and 7th d-man qualities. They all skate well and play heavy responsible games.

it all comes down to what you value in these things

for me a 4th liner has essentially 0 value so I would have someone like Smith lower than he ended up on this list

i'd much rather have a guy that for example has a 5% chance of being a top 6 guy but won't stick in the NHL otherwise than a guy that has a 25% chance of sticking in the NHL but will only be a 4th liner if he does

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How fast that list has changed since prospects tourney

I would not mind if this voting would be running all the time.

It would just sharpen the results. Take the Top5 from last voting etc. for the new voting round. And add the 6th best from last voting to next and go on.

Some add-ons after the Top20.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Next summer I wouldn't be surprised if Givani Smith is a big riser.
I must be lacking in the Smith enthusiasm, I see his unimpressive junior career and lackluster season last year and I don't see a guy who can be more than a 4th line grinder. Fill me in, what I'm I missing besides toughness and compete level?

topdawg

Jan 17, 2016
I must be lacking in the Smith enthusiasm, I see his unimpressive junior career and lackluster season last year and I don't see a guy who can be more than a 4th line grinder. Fill me in, what I'm I missing besides toughness and compete level?
Smart player, knows where to go, what to do and can play with good players, knows how to play with them similar to bertuzzi. his skating scares me a bit though

Reactions: Konnan511

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
regula and soderblom both look capable of moving up . and svetch looks like the time off advanced his mental development and hes doing good things out there

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Remember Marty LaPointe when he was still a good player? That's what I see in Smith. Pop in 15 goals, play some power play, (hopefully) some pk, do all of the gritty mucking up and down the lineup and not look out of place. Will he carry a line? Nope, but he'll be that guy you can pop onto any line to give it some juice and he'll fit.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
Last year when I watched smith at the prospect tournament, his skating looked aweful. Horrible stride, wasn’t strong on his skates at all. I did like his compete level though and didn’t seem to have bad IQ when he could get into the play.

Seeing him at the tournament this year, he looks like a completely different player. He was actually a difference maker in that tournament. His stride looks a lot better, it was a pretty big shock to me how much he seemed to improve. May be able to carve out a career in the bottom six if he can have another year of improving like he seemed to have last year even if the stats didn’t show it in GR.

Great teams need good depth so I will welcome any player who can improve this team at this point.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
it all comes down to what you value in these things

for me a 4th liner has essentially 0 value so I would have someone like Smith lower than he ended up on this list

i'd much rather have a guy that for example has a 5% chance of being a top 6 guy but won't stick in the NHL otherwise than a guy that has a 25% chance of sticking in the NHL but will only be a 4th liner if he does

Hmmm 4th line talent playing top 6 minutes?

Certainly not looking at Abdelkader or Ott.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Last year when I watched smith at the prospect tournament, his skating looked aweful. Horrible stride, wasn’t strong on his skates at all. I did like his compete level though and didn’t seem to have bad IQ when he could get into the play.

Seeing him at the tournament this year, he looks like a completely different player. He was actually a difference maker in that tournament. His stride looks a lot better, it was a pretty big shock to me how much he seemed to improve. May be able to carve out a career in the bottom six if he can have another year of improving like he seemed to have last year even if the stats didn’t show it in GR.

Great teams need good depth so I will welcome any player who can improve this team at this point.

He really looked good.

Maybe the difference was made at this summer on summer training. Because, in April, people were still wondering his poor play last season in AHL.

And still, some people in here refuse to accept the change on his play (which is crazy) and still judge him of his early poor development.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
He really looked good.

Maybe the difference was made at this summer on summer training. Because, in April, people were still wondering his poor play last season in AHL.

And still, some people in here refuse to accept the change on his play (which is crazy) and still judge him of his early poor development.
That's why I asked for a more informed opinion. I haven't been blown away this offseason and preseason by him, but I must be looking at something different. I'll try to hone in on him during these last few games. I want to be wrong, trust me. New perspective going forward is what I'll try :)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He really looked good.

It almost has to be something over the summer, because he just looks flat out quicker out there. If he can get up and down the ice and keep up with pace, the guy plays a game that translates so well to the NHL.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I thought Givani was awesome in the tournament last year.
Scored two goals. Lots of hits.
Played with Zadina and Veleno, IIRC.
And looked just fine.
This year, he had a poor game one but might have been our most effective forward after that.
The real trouble with Givani is that I'm not sure the team can afford to have fourth liners unless they PK. So he might need to win a 3rd line job to win a regular spot in the lineup.

Givani's first few steps are rough. Once he's skating, he's got above average speed.
But the first few steps are critical in the NHL today.

He also seems to struggle with balance a bit.

Looking at our wingers in the top 9, who can he supplant in the next 12-18 months?

I could see him as a 10-15 goal guy who fights and hits and gets under the other team's skin.

Reactions: Realgud

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I thought Givani was awesome in the tournament last year.
Scored two goals. Lots of hits.

He was generally quite average. Just did read those old discussions of 2018 tournament and checked my own scoring chance data.

Played with Zadina and Veleno, IIRC.
And looked just fine.

Played partially that 1st game with Rasmussen and Zadina, then Veleno was swapped with him, and Rasmussen went to wing, Veleno at center. After that the 1st line started dominating. Smith on the 2nd line with Ehn and Holmström for the rest of the tournament.

This year, he had a poor game one but might have been our most effective forward after that.

Yes. He was very good after that poor 1st game, but not proably the "most effective" or whatever that means.

The real trouble with Givani is that I'm not sure the team can afford to have fourth liners unless they PK. So he might need to win a 3rd line job to win a regular spot in the lineup.

He did kill penalties at Traverse City 2019, so why wouldn't he be a physical 4th liner + penalty killer? His career prime could be that 3rd liner.

Reactions: Mlotek

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Alright folks, we did it, without further adieu, your top 25 prospects of summer 2019:

1. Filip Zadina - 74.1%
2. Moritz Seider - 64.1%
3. Joe Veleno - 93.1%
4. Jared McIsaac - 62.4%
5. Taro Hirose - 39.6%
6. Jonatan Berggren - 50.5%
7. Filip Larsson - 66%
8. Evgeny Svechnikov - 70.8%
9. Gustav Lindstrom - 39.8%
10. Albert Johansson - 25.3%
11. Robert Mastrosimone - 30.7%
12. Antti Tuomisto - 28.2%
13. Oliwer Kaski - 33.7%
14. Albin Grewe - 39.5% (51.8%)
15. Otto Kivenmaki - 39.5% (48.2%)
16. Alec Regula - 43.5%
17. Ethan Phillips - 32.3%
18. Jesper Eliasson - 27.1%
19. Kasper Kotkansalo - 24.5%
20. Seth Barton - 28.6%
21. Givani Smith - 19.3%
22. Chase Pearson - 15.9% (57.8%)
23. Vili Saarijarvi - 15.9% (42.2%)
24. Elmer Soderblom -33.3%
25. Ryan Kuffner - 28.8%

Feel free to discuss, or post any dissenting rankings contrary to the board's final list. And as always, thanks for participating.

who moves up the most and drops the most as of today?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad