Post-Game Talk: Drouins big return ends up in a Habs loss against Ottawa

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Right off the top of my head, Edmonton is a warning. Years of first overall picks and years of agony.

They have a couple players that you can't miss with, but they can't shake the mediocrity.

The issue is that some people assume its enough to just keep losing and build up talent to eventually win the cup. It's not as simple as that.

Edmonton is a bad example. If it weren't for Klefbom's career ending injury, they never would've needed to sign Nurse for so much and would have both of them and might've had a final or a cup already.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They got destroyed by a team that started accumulating talent in what, 2011? It took years for the Avs to shake off their issues too.

I think it's pretty obvious you need smart people in charge of such a rebuild, but its a bit of a silly point because that's true of whatever path you decide to take. Spend big? Better hope your scouts get you the right bang for your buck? Trading assets? Same thing, and you need to identify the right partners too. There's no path that's safe, accumulating is just less dependent on other factors even if it can take longer.

You need smart people, you need luck, but when you inherit an all time player like mcdavid, you are given such a massive head start.

They've had 7 years to build a team around him, and they still haven't established themselves as an elite contender.

By any measure, they should be further ahead at this point.... Like a perennially elite contender for the cup.

Instead, it's more of a hope and pray situation that mcdrai just somehow do it on their own at this point.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He is among many who get kicked, for poor play......it's what happens on this forum, when guys play like bums, they hear about it.
Guy is just a bad hockey player now................frustrating for fans who know he has talent, when he has space.
Constant usage on a PP that he does not deserve, years later.....

Just the truth man................just the truth.
Why is he being singled out in thread titles, but not someone like Dadonov who does nothing? Or someone like Hoffman who is far more relied on, but sucks?

Drouin barely has a role on the team, is an after thought in usage. He's playing on the 4th line, but folks talk about him like he's stealing someone's spot. I mean he's largely insignificant in terms of usage, so who cares? His contract ends this year and he won't be renewed. He's targetted disproportionately relative to his role and use.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Edmonton is a bad example. If it weren't for Klefbom's career ending injury, they never would've needed to sign Nurse for so much and would have both of them and might've had a final or a cup already.
Klefbom was a big loss, big big loss.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
He is among many who get kicked, for poor play......it's what happens on this forum, when guys play like bums, they hear about it.
Guy is just a bad hockey player now................frustrating for fans who know he has talent, when he has space.
Constant usage on a PP that he does not deserve, years later.....

Just the truth man................just the truth.
All these guys made it to the NHL so there is a floor on their badness. Most of them, Drouin, Hoffman, Dadonov, need to play with 2 big play driving linemates and the habs don’t have that. You get another good center, maybe a winger or let some of the young guys get experience, wait for the D to mature or get a pmd or two and one, maybe two of these guys can fit.

Problem isn’t that all these guys are terrible, it’s that MB randomly picked up a bunch of similar guys and then the new guys took Dadanov as a cap dump. They aren’t stars, they aren’t terrible, but they don’t have roles on the team that they can fill.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why is he being singled out in thread titles, but not someone like Dadonov who does nothing? Or someone like Hoffman who is far more relied on, but sucks?

Drouin barely has a role on the team, is an after thought in usage. He's playing on the 4th line, but folks talk about him like he's stealing someone's spot. I mean he's largely insignificant in terms of usage, so who cares? His contract ends this year and he won't be renewed. He's targetted disproportionately relative to his role and use.
I think you and I will just agree to disagree.
I am not a fan of Dads or Hoffman, but in the case of Hoffman he can actually shoot the puck and score.
Drouin gets PP time, and hasn't scored in what, 3 years?
Anyhow, we will not see eye to eye on this, no biggie...........let's just agree to disagree.
One thing we can agree on, we have a ton of vets, who absolutely sucl..............Thx to MB.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
All these guys made it to the NHL so there is a floor on their badness. Most of them, Drouin, Hoffman, Dadonov, need to play with 2 big play driving linemates and the habs don’t have that. You get another good center, maybe a winger or let some of the young guys get experience, wait for the D to mature or get a pmd or two and one, maybe two of these guys can fit.

Problem isn’t that all these guys are terrible, it’s that MB randomly picked up a bunch of similar guys and then the new guys took Dadanov as a cap dump. They aren’t stars, they aren’t terrible, but they don’t have roles on the team that they can fill.
Lumping MB's mistakes together still doesn't take the heat off JD for his entire contract......he has been bad since coming to Montreal.............god given talent, and nothing to go with it.
We are almost done with this kid, thank god...
Everyone made fun of Gomez for not scoring, and it took him a year to get a goal, now here we are and JD with a xrazy amount of PP time and no goal in 3 calendar years...................

Yes, we have other useless vets, but in there somewhere they bring something else on certain nights......JD has brought nothing during his tenure, but excuses.....and I could care less where he was born, if he was from Halifax, I would feel the same way, so let's not pretend otherwise.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Lumping MB's mistakes together still doesn't take the heat off JD for his entire contract......he has been bad since coming to Montreal.............god given talent, and nothing to go with it.
We are almost done with this kid, thank god...
Everyone made fun of Gomez for not scoring, and it took him a year to get a goal, now here we are and JD with a xrazy amount of PP time and no goal in 3 calendar years...................

Yes, we have other useless vets, but in there somewhere they bring something else on certain nights......JD has brought nothing during his tenure, but excuses.....and I could care less where he was born, if he was from Halifax, I would feel the same way, so let's not pretend otherwise.
Drouin was acquired, irrationally, to be a primary play driving center. He got a contract that assumed he would be good.

In previous years he produced when the team produced, failed to score when others weren’t driving the offense, and was hurt a lot. This year his legs seem fine but he can’t seem to shoot. He hasn’t really helped the team but his contract wasn’t really big, the main problems were expectations and comparisons to Sergachev, plus acquiring Toffoli and other players who needed to play the same role and minutes.

Drouin should have been a meh sort of miss, but the other moves made him a poster child for team building failures.

Hoffman would be fine as a sixth forward if the other 5 were good and lacking a shooter.

No point in benching these guys now, but one way or another they shouldn’t play much for the habs after the trade deadline.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad