Drouin vs Nylander vs Ehlers

Who you take going forward ?

• Total voters

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is a week out of date, but I think one would be hard pressed to make a case theres a significant gap between the two when it comes to 5v5 scoring

Why only goals and why only on the road? Seems very selective doesn't it? When you look at the complete ES stats it absolutely favours Ehlers.

ES stats this season on going

Ehlers 10 pts 11 games. +9
Nylander 7pts, 11 games +1
Drouin 7 pts, 11 games +6

Without counting PP Production.

19-20
Ehlers 53 pts, +14, 71GP .75 P/GP
Nylander 42 pts, -2, 68GP .62 P/GP

18-19
Ehlers 30 pts, +2, 62GP .48 P/GP
Nylander 21pts -2, 54GP .39 P/GP

Reactions: TS Quint

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is a week out of date, but I think one would be hard pressed to make a case theres a significant gap between the two when it comes to 5v5 scoring
BTW Using the same dates you just used since 19-20.

Ehlers is 8th in the NHL in EP scoring(non PP scoring) in the NHL. Nylander is 28th for fwds. It wasn't hard pressed to find evidence there is a significant gap.

NHL Stats

Reactions: TS Quint

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
False. Nylander is a very intelligent 2-way player and has great positioning. Where he has faltered in the past has been inconsistencies in effort, but he seems to have shored that up over the last year. His defensive awareness though is good, to say Ehlers is far superior is just a lie.
But you’re agreeing that Nylander is better offensively? Or you only like to correct things about the leaf player?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

Why are you showing a graphic of road stats, or am I missing something?

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
so you are saying Matthews is one of the best players in the league using your argument
tenor.gif

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Nothing has changed and I doubt ever will change between Nylander and Ehlers.

They produce at nearly the same level, have similar strengths and weaknesses, given similar opportunities, and have similar levels of skill and talent.

Jet fans keep Ehlers due to attachment and leafs Nylander, but there is no separation between the two players and hasn't been since 2017 when both were full-time players in the league.

Drouin is several tiers below both of them and has a little track record of producing around their level. His 9 in 11 is a hot start which will cool down. He is a 45-55 point player who is careless with the puck, soft and quite lazy, and unaware in his own zone.

Replace Drouin with a guy like Teravainen who is around the same level as Ehlers and Nylander, and you have three similar tier players

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Nothing has changed and I doubt ever will change between Nylander and Ehlers.

They produce at nearly the same level, have similar strengths and weaknesses, given similar opportunities, and have similar levels of skill and talent.

Jet fans keep Ehlers due to attachment and leafs Nylander, but there is no separation between the two players and hasn't been since 2017 when both were full-time players in the league.

Drouin is several tiers below both of them and has a little track record of producing around their level. His 9 in 11 is a hot start which will cool down. He is a 45-55 point player who is careless with the puck, soft and quite lazy, and unaware in his own zone.

Replace Drouin with a guy like Teravainen who is around the same level as Ehlers and Nylander, and you have three similar tier players
I think the time has come where others should stop using Nylander's contract as a negative when comparing him with Ehlers.

Yes Ehlers signed for 1 more year and a little less of a cap hit, however I'm sure the other 30 teams would take Nylander's 31 goals and his $6.96 million AAV if he was available.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Oh so you’ll agree that it proves Matthews is one of the best but not agree that it proves Ehlers > Nylander?
I never agreed to any argument or made any which statement one way or the other.

Was more so just pointing out the irony of that one poster who was using 5v5 statistics to make the argument for Ehlers yet has been notorious for bashing Matthews despite Matthews being one of the most prolific 5v5 scorers since entering the league.

Maybe try to follow the conversation a little bit better next time bud :thumbu:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I never agreed to any argument or made any which statement one way or the other.

Was more so just pointing out the irony of that one poster who was using 5v5 statistics to make the argument for Ehlers yet has been notorious for bashing Matthews despite Matthews being one of the most prolific 5v5 scorers since entering the league.

Maybe try to follow the conversation a little bit better next time bud :thumbu:
I’ll take this “Matthews bashing” topic with a grain of salt as I also apparently do it constantly yet no one can find a post to substantiate it. But carry on with your gotcha moment that you feel like you have here Pal, (childish emoji)

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
But you’re agreeing that Nylander is better offensively? Or you only like to correct things about the leaf player?
It seems to me you only like to "correct things" when it comes to putting leafs players down. You don't even try to hide your bias, you come into every leaf related thread and immediately jump on any leafs fan you can find, then cry and whine about other people having bias.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
so you are saying Matthews is one of the best players in the league using your argument
Matthews is not being compared to Ehlers is he? Maybe you should go to the Matthews/Modano thread to see who I voted for? Sorry to disappoint you, but some of us can be objective here. This is an Ehlers/Nylander/Drouin, and this is the discussion. I am simply stating a major difference in both players. ES, 5 v 5 proficiency, Ehlers is superior. Contractually, his contract is superior also, 6M x 7 years, signed to 8% of the cap one year longer than Nylander at 6,962,366 x 6 at 8.76% of the cap at signing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think the time has come where others should stop using Nylander's contract as a negative when comparing him with Ehlers.

Yes Ehlers signed for 1 more year and a little less of a cap hit, however I'm sure the other 30 teams would take Nylander's 31 goals and his $6.96 million AAV if he was available.
But we are comparing Nylander to Ehlers, thus discussing their contracts is a factor. Ehlers' contract is better. 6 x 7 years, 1 year longer than Nylander's and just under 1M less. I know you want to reframe the discussion, but the OP is not I am sure 30 teams would want Nylander at 6,962,366 x 6 years. It is who do you take going forward? A better contract is certainly a factor and a plus to answering this question, especially right now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But we are comparing Nylander to Ehlers, thus discussing their contracts is a factor. Ehlers' contract is better. 6 x 7 years, 1 year longer than Nylander's and just under 1M less. I know you want to reframe the discussion, but the OP is not I am sure 30 teams would want Nylander at 6,962,366 x 6 years. It is who do you take going forward? A better contract is certainly a factor and a plus to answering this question, especially right now.
Besides their contracts if you want to take into account their playoff totals, Nyander has 5 goals, 10 assists, and 15 points in 25 playoff career games.

Ehlers has 2 goals, 7 assists, and 9 points also in 25 career playoff games.

So despite Nylander not yet having won a playoff series with Toronto and Ehlers going to the Western Conference Finals in 2018, how is it possible that Nylander has better playoff stats?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It seems to me you only like to "correct things" when it comes to putting leafs players down. You don't even try to hide your bias, you come into every leaf related thread and immediately jump on any leafs fan you can find, then cry and whine about other people having bias.
I find that many of my posts are commenting on people who claim to be impartial and are anything but. You can feel free to think I’m bias all you’d like, but again no one can find evidence of it outside of that I comment in leaf threads. But I vote for the leaf player more often than the people I comment towards vote the opposite, I say nothing negative about the leafs, unlike the people I comment towards. So maybe it’s the other people that are bias?

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Nylander has better hair!!
lets see you move the goal posts to argue that!!

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I find that many of my posts are commenting on people who claim to be impartial and are anything but. You can feel free to think I’m bias all you’d like, but again no one can find evidence of it outside of that I comment in leaf threads. But I vote for the leaf player more often than the people I comment towards vote the opposite, I say nothing negative about the leafs, unlike the people I comment towards.
So you come into anything involving the leafs to set straight the people you perceive as impartial but you only do it to Leafs fans. Do you think only leafs fans are bias and everyone else is impartial? Why do you feel the need to constantly attempt to police the bias leafs fans and not fans of other teams who constantly throw their bias around?

So maybe it’s the other people that are bias?
One or the other, eh?

Guess what, you're both bias.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
The clear difference between Ehlers and Nylander is Ehlers does not depend on the power play as much as Nylander does for his production. He is a superior ES player, to me it is much harder to produce at ES than on the PP. Production and plus minus differential favour Ehlers also. The stats would bare this out over the last 3 seasons sampling, not a small sample for those concerned of sampling size.

ES stats this season on going

Ehlers 10 pts 11 games. +9
Nylander 7pts, 11 games +1
Drouin 7 pts, 11 games +6

Without counting PP Production.

19-20
Ehlers 53 pts, +14, 71GP .75 P/GP
Nylander 42 pts, -2, 68GP .62 P/GP

18-19
Ehlers 30 pts, +2, 62GP .48 P/GP
Nylander 21pts -2, 54GP .39 P/GP

Funny how you don’t care about ES production in the Matthews vs Eichel debates. But now it matters here :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad