Rumor: Drouin for White

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's your evaluation of the situation?

Haha.

Draft status has nothing to do with the player after he is drafted. You know that right? Might as well trade Stone for Drouin... I mean 3rd overall come on. Stone is a 6th rounder and Drouin is only 20 years old... makes so much sense.

I can only imagine if you were GM and somebody offered you 2nd OV from the 2006 draft(Jordan Staal) for Karlsson who was 15th overall in 2008. I mean 2nd overall for 15th overall... who would be dumb enough to turn that down?

Looking a draft status ... please.

Let's send everything we have for Yakupov too, he was not 3rd overall, not 2nd overall, he was 1RST OVERALL!!!! The draft status meter explodes.

No my evaluation of the situation is well documented throughout the last 3 months. Repeating myself over and over again with next to no counter argument is exhausting.

I watched Drouin as a Jr live 8 times. He is a superstar talent, his numbers back it up, so do his accomplishments. He has elite elite vision and skill, he really just needs an opportunity. The fact that you compared him Yakupov makes me think you have never watched the player or dont understand the sport. Yakupov has tunnel vision and a shoot first player, I never liked him. Secondly the 2013 draft was simply a much better forward draft than 2012.

I dont want to trade White, he looks like an awesome prospect but he isnt a first overall level talent like Drouin. He is very likely going to be something similar in the mold of a Lazar or Zibanejad a two way forward that is a right handed shot.

Ottawa is missing a legit game breaker up front, that's what Drouin is. He can create offense out of nothing better than anyone in his draft class.

No idea about the rest of the ridiculous tangent you went on about trading Stone etc I never said that. Is White going to be as good a player as Stone?... Probably not.

Patrick Eaves was an unbelievable College player too, right handed shot went to BC just like White. He even played first line on a WJC winning team.

Dont get me wrong I am a big White fan, love what I am hearing/seeing of him, however there are no guarantee's he is going to be a star either. That's the risk. At this point both Drouin and White are very young hockey players, Drouin was/is a better prospect still is.

Drouin was the top ranked prospect not playing in the NHL just a year and a half ago. That wasnt an accident.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I'm not advocating for pulling the trigger on this trade but at the time we made the Ryan trade, I thought that Silf, Noesen and the 1st were all can't miss prospects and we were likely going to really regret trading some or all of them.

Here we are 3 years later and none of them have really amounted to much. Ryan is the best player from that deal for sure. Part of it is due to injuries derailing Noesen and Silf a bit but thats a risk you take with prospects - there are so many factors as to how they may or may not work out.
Sometimes its good to cash in on prospect hype if you can get something good out of it

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah he won fastest skater last year. Its ok people on HF will make up just about anything to full fill their narrative.

Oooh, okay. Along that line, how about a scenario of Hoffman for Drouin straight up?
This is HF after all. Anything is possible.

But seriously, if Ottawa views Hoffman as a problem child, why not switch with TB? As much as I like Hoffman and want him to stay in Ottawa, I don't like the current showdown between him and the GM and coach. It can lead nowhere good.

Also, we aren't making the playoffs so there isn't much else to gossip about.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oooh, okay. Along that line, how about a scenario of Hoffman for Drouin straight up?
This is HF after all. Anything is possible.

But seriously, if Ottawa views Hoffman as a problem child, why not switch with TB? As much as I like Hoffman and want him to stay in Ottawa, I don't like the current showdown between him and the GM and coach. It can lead nowhere good.

Also, we aren't making the playoffs so there isn't much else to gossip about.

Tampa needs a cost controlled player coming back because of the well documented cap situation they have ie why Stamkos hasnt been extended yet.

Do you guys believe that White has more value than Hoffman right now? Id like to hear this argument.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Tampa needs a cost controlled player coming back because of the well documented cap situation they have ie why Stamkos hasnt been extended yet.

Do you guys believe that White has more value than Hoffman right now? Id like to hear this argument.

Well, Hoffman is RFA for another year.... :sarcasm:

But I don't believe White has any real NHL value until we see him play at a higher level. I don't like hype. I like seeing a player play against his peers and right now White is in the NCAA. The only glimpses I had were during games at the WJC. Which doesn't say that much as many other players have done well in the WJC and were never heard from again.
Again, I'm not bashing White, just saying that I'm not sure that he's much more than a hopeful/nice prospect at this point. Whereas Drouin has demonstrated abilities at a higher level.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Drouin is now going to report to the AHL team. Good to see he has half a brain in his head.
Sitting out was a really bad call and good on Stevie Y for calling his bluff.
Drouin sitting out until training camp + would mean almost a year without playing hockey.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
White was never offered for Drouin. TB and SY had been inquiring about White since the Drouin drama began. White was never on the table until possibly possibly it was too late. That is from a source closer than Bobby Mac thinking "maybe" that happened.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
White was never offered for Drouin. TB and SY had been inquiring about White since the Drouin drama began. White was never on the table until possibly possibly it was too late. That is from a source closer than Bobby Mac thinking "maybe" that happened.

Sweet, thanks for the info!! :)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

There's no source better than BOb

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

thanks usascout1, good to hear.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Pretty sure there are lots of sources closer than Bob...

Steve Yzerman, BMurr, Dorion, Randy Lee, ect

Bob MacKenzie is one of the most well pluged in guys out there, but that doesn't make him infallible.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Bob is definitely more connected than everyone when it comes to league wide breaking news and rumours, but there are definitely individuals with more knowledge with regards to certain players specifically.

I wouldn't be able to say anything for 99.5% of the guys in the NHL like Bob can, but the 6-7 of guys I am friends with and talk to pretty often I feel I could hear things that Bob hasn't heard yet, as I'm sure is the case with many, many other individuals on this site.

Last edited:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Bob is definitely more connected than everyone when it comes to league wide breaking news and rumours, but there are definitely individuals with more knowledge with regards to certain players specifically.

I wouldn't be able to say anything for 99.5% of the guys in the NHL like Bob can, but the 6-7 of guys I am friends with and talk to pretty often I feel I could hear things that Bob hasn't heard yet, as I'm sure is the case with many many other individuals on this site.

Heck, I've broken stuff before Bob.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Good to hear. I have had my doubts that White got put on the table for Drouin.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Yup, this def makes sense.

If white was offered, im sure it was a bigger package as well that Yzerman didn't want. Could explain the "dynamic" element to the go who reported it before.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa

So if White was on the table when it was possibly too late, is White still on the table? What I mean is if Murray had been willing to trade White even at the very end of the deadline (too late) do you think he will still be willing to trade White at the draft or in the summer?

Drouin is coming back to play in the AHL. I personally think that if Drouin does average to above average, maybe just under a point per game, Murray will recklessly offer anything for Drouin. I say this because Murray has a history of misunderstanding a player's value.

For example Shane Prince had an amazing season last year in the AHL, almost a point per game and on the second All Star team. We let prince go for a 3rd rounder like he wasn't worth developing in the NHL.

All I am saying is if Murray is going to trade away our very promising prospects wouldn't you logically expect that Drouin would have to put up AHL stats similar to Nylander (well above a point per game) to garner consideration. If he puts up stats similar to prince in the remaining games or even worse, why would we trade for him? He isn't a strong defensive player! For Christ's sake Murray is considering trading Hoffman because Cameron doesn't like his defensive play and the guy is a 30 goal scorer.

I think someone from outside the organization has to step in and point out some pretty obvious inconsistencies in Management.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Based on what we are seeing going on with Hoffman I would think it's more likely Hoffman for Drouin but it's also quite likely that he stays with Tampa.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't think we should be shipping out our A prospects to dump bad contracts in exchange for Drouin or anyone really...

The only time you should be shipping out your future is in a cup run. We're nowhere near that with an addition like Drouin.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I don't think we should be shipping out our A prospects to dump bad contracts in exchange for Drouin or anyone really...

The only time you should be shipping out your future is in a cup run. We're nowhere near that with an addition like Drouin.

Exactly!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

I think the issue is the only reason Ottawa is semi-competitive is because we can draft and develop.

Karlsson, Ceci, Hoffman, Stone, Pageau, Smith, Zibanejad.

This year we have brought up Paul and Dzingel who have shown potential. We brought up Claesson who has shown potential. We still have Puempel who could still turn in to something.

We've been fortunate with our trades - getting and developing Methot, MacArthur worked out. We traded for and developed Turris.

We got Anderson. We drafted and developed Lehner and got a 1st round pick that has allowed us to draft another prospect we can hopefully develop into a player.

We need to be smart, cautious and we need to rely on the draft and development. As soon as we start selling draft picks/prospects for now... we're going to be in trouble. Things look bad now? They'll be worse.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

My dream scenario is we trade Hoffman for Drouin, Drouin ends up working beautifully and then we sign Ladd/Okposo/Lucic/Eriksson.

Drouin-Zibanejad-Stone
Lucic/Okposo-Turris-Ryan

yes.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Based on what we are seeing going on with Hoffman I would think it's more likely Hoffman for Drouin but it's also quite likely that he stays with Tampa.

Tampa can't get Hoffman unless we take back Carle. They're already screwed this offseason because they have so many guys to sign. They aren't going to trade for Hoffman who will be asking for 5 million+, with term.

And if we have to take back Carle, then hell no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad