Drop the puck: the linesmen are out of control

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
I don't really like fake pumping, however, I do think that they should drop and let other linesman who is standing other side blow it down and redo the faceoff for moving early before the drop and kick someone out. If it's simulation movement as the drop and the player, then they should play it on. Fake pumping should be banned from the game. Just drop the puck and blow it dead if someone cheated. Simply as that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What are you talking about “it wasn’t like this two months ago” when it’s been that way for several years now.

I think they are tweaking the rules for next season. Right now the offensive zone center gets no warnings while the defensive zone center gets one before being tossed. Next year they’ll both get one.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
What are you talking about “it wasn’t like this two months ago” when it’s been that way for several years now.

I think they are tweaking the rules for next season. Right now the offensive zone center gets no warnings while the defensive zone center gets one before being tossed. Next year they’ll both get one.
Agreed. It’s been like this for at least 7-8 years. I’ve never understood it, just drop it get out of the way.

Reactions: Leafshater67

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
It's been so bad this year. If a guy jumps and causes a false start just toss him. If it happens again on the same team, 2 minute penalty.

That's how it's supposed to work. Linesmen give WAY too much courtesy to these guys. Drop the f***ing puck or give them a penalty and see how fast they stop jumping.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah the pump faking has to stop, but it's not new. It's been worse these playoffs but it's been happening for years on years.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
As always, the officials think the show is all about themselves. They're supposed to just let the players play but they constantly interfere with the game arbitrarily, mainly to make themselves feel important.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Refs and linesmen have both been over the top these playoffs. Way too many calls, way too much involvement. Let them play.
Yeah that's just not true at all. There is absolutely nothing unusual about the number of calls we have seen so far.

As always, the officials think the show is all about themselves. They're supposed to just let the players play but they constantly interfere with the game arbitrarily, mainly to make themselves feel important.
Um, what?
It's the exact opposite. There is nothing worse than the rubbish claim to "let the players play". Because what that actually means is "let the players cheat". You are punishing those who actually try to play hockey, while giving an advantage to those who cheat or who are too lazy to try the correct play.

The ref's job isn't to let the players play, their job is to make the players adhere to the rules and to punish them if they don't. The more they fail to set a proper standard, the more cheating you will see, as players adapt to the style of refereeing. If the refs are strict, players adapt and are more careful. If they are extremely strict, the game may become timid, but if, on the other hand, the refs fail to do their job, the players will take advantage in every way, at the price of quality of play and the players ability to actually play hockey.

Refs calling less penalties has nothing whatsoever to do with letting the players decide the game. On the contrary, by not calling infractions, refs have a far bigger impact on the game.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
I don't know about now, but when Kadri was on the Av's, dude got kicked out of almost every face off. It was ridiculous.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
IMG_3950.jpeg

Close up angle of Chris Rooney the other night trying to get out of Pasta’s way.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I swear there have been games this year when I'm watching this all play out in the arena and its like the linesmen go into a faceoff with intention to kick someone out rather than drop the puck. I've seen them wait 20+ seconds with pump fakes and scolding both players with the fans getting fed up with it while they're actively kicking guys out only to start again.

Just drop the f***ing puck. We're not there to watch you

Reactions: ONO94

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
the pump fake is because the linesman is about to drop the puck and notices one of the centers doesnt have their stick down, or doesnt stop. which are huge advantages..

the real thing i see is they kick one center out, and the next guy does the same thing.. so the linesman arent willing to call penalties, because thats what it would be if they second center is tossed..

maybe be happy they arent calling penalties.. all the centers are cheating as much as possible, these linesman are just trying to do their best at keeping it as fair as possible..

imagine if they were calling penalties, everyone would lose their minds.

Reactions: TKB

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
Drai would have 30% more faceoffs taken - he gets kicked constantly - I'm curious to what the players are saying to the linesman as they're backing out, is it simply "just drop the effin puck"?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
its for sure an issue that is noticable, draisaitl got kicked out of 4 in one period. made me think "damn is he cheating every draw?" but as i watched its so subjective and inconsistant that it makes me think its nothing more than "hey look NHL im following the rules"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad