Driving to Fargo during a game

wpglax

Mar 8, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
My girlfriend and I are heading down for the game in MN on Sunday, but we'll be leaving on Friday, and stopping in Fargo. We'll be stuck in the car for a portion of the Flyers game, and we were wondering if anyone knew whereabouts the TSN1290 signal kicks out where we can't get it anymore.

And also, in case someone knows, are there any bars/lounges in Fargo that has TSN Jets that we could stop at and watch the end of the game when we get there?

Thanks in advance!

RonJon

May 18, 2011
not sure how far you will have the radio signal but I would guess easily gone before Grand Forks. As where to watch the game, any Buffalo Wild Wings is usually a good choice because of the amount of TV's. You won't get TSN Jets but at least you get the game. I will already be in the Twin Cities and that's our plan. The only problem with that is the Wild are playing Friday night too so they may want more coverage on them and Basket Ball and such.

If you have satellite radio you can pick up the game as well

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Bring along a WIFI-enabled device such as a tablet or a laptop.

http://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg/

Stop for a meal wherever there is an available signal. Click the above and then click listen live. Problem solved.

EDIT: You could also likely dig up a video stream using the above devices and google.

Curt in WPG

Sep 8, 2011
Winnipeg
My girlfriend and I are heading down for the game in MN on Sunday, but we'll be leaving on Friday, and stopping in Fargo. We'll be stuck in the car for a portion of the Flyers game, and we were wondering if anyone knew whereabouts the TSN1290 signal kicks out where we can't get it anymore.

And also, in case someone knows, are there any bars/lounges in Fargo that has TSN Jets that we could stop at and watch the end of the game when we get there?

Thanks in advance!

I was in Grand Forks last weekend and couldn't pick up 1290 at all. They don't have the most powerful signal and AM stations are required to power down in the evening (couldn't get CJOB as well at night but it came in very clear during the day. CBC 990 was available at all times). Coming home Sunday evening I tuned in right after we crossed the border and could pick up the game pretty well.

I could pick up the Minnesota Gophers playing in Notre Dame Friday as well as I think the Milwaukee Admirals game.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
XM radio has every game. Might not be the Winnipeg feed though.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Thanks in advance!

You should be good, depending on a couple things. Game's at night so thats good, AM signals travel way better when the sun's down. Fargo's 350 KM away, the signal will probably last about 300 or so KM at night, but I've only tested it going east-west, never tried down south.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Last time I recall driving down south I started losing the 1290 signal right around the border. Driving down early morning.

Not sure what your phone / US data situation is but one of my favourite apps is TuneIn Radio which lets you listen to pretty much any broadcast radio station from around the globe. That's an option once you lose the signal.

You should be good, depending on a couple things. Game's at night so thats good, AM signals travel way better when the sun's down. Fargo's 350 KM away, the signal will probably last about 300 or so KM at night, but I've only tested it going east-west, never tried down south.

Grand Forks has radio stations broadcasting out of it. Not sure he'll be catching the 1290 feed anywhere near Grand Forks never mind 50 kms past it

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Last time I recall driving down south I started losing the 1290 signal right around the border. Driving down early morning.

Not sure what your phone / US data situation is but one of my favourite apps is TuneIn Radio which lets you listen to pretty much any broadcast radio station from around the globe. That's an option once you lose the signal.

Grand Forks has radio stations broadcasting out of it. Not sure he'll be catching the 1290 feed anywhere near Grand Forks never mind 50 kms past it

I'd agree. Once your radio signal kicks out, switch to your mobile device (assuming you have one) and listen to 1290 via an internet radio app, such as the aforementioned TuneIn radio. If you're with say, Rogers, their default US roaming rate is $8 per 50mb.

Once you select the station in the app, different streams will have different bitrates. If you go with the 48kbps stream (default) it will use about 21mb an hour. If you choose the 32kbps or 24 kbps streams it will be proportionately less. (streams can be chosen in Listening Options) Anyways, listening to the game probably wouldn't cost you more than $8 on your phone bill or so.

wpglax

Mar 8, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks for all the help guys. That was pretty much what I figured, just thought I'd check in and see if anyone had any other ideas :)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Bring along a WIFI-enabled device such as a tablet or a laptop.

http://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg/

Stop for a meal wherever there is an available signal. Click the above and then click listen live. Problem solved.

EDIT: You could also likely dig up a video stream using the above devices and google.

You most likely won't be able to stream tsn.ca from the US. Might be a jurisdictional blackout.

If you can find WiFi, get the TuneIn Radio app. You can listen to the Jets or Philly feed by finding the appropriate radio station.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I'd agree. Once your radio signal kicks out, switch to your mobile device (assuming you have one) and listen to 1290 via an internet radio app, such as the aforementioned TuneIn radio. If you're with say, Rogers, their default US roaming rate is $8 per 50mb.

Once you select the station in the app, different streams will have different bitrates. If you go with the 48kbps stream (default) it will use about 21mb an hour. If you choose the 32kbps or 24 kbps streams it will be proportionately less. (streams can be chosen in Listening Options) Anyways, listening to the game probably wouldn't cost you more than $8 on your phone bill or so.

If you travel to the States alot, you should just get a Roam mobility sim card. Unlock your phone then use that. Telus charges $35 to unlock an iPhone, Roger $50. Not sure about other phones or carriers. $8 will get you 300 mb. A GB for $20. I think it uses the T-mobile network.

I'm not affiliated with them or anything, just think its way better than paying Canadian carriers roaming fees.
http://www.roammobility.com

bazaaa*

If you travel to the States alot, you should just get a Roam mobility sim card. Unlock your phone then use that. Telus charges $35 to unlock an iPhone, Roger $50. Not sure about other phones or carriers. $8 will get you 300 mb. A GB for $20. I think it uses the T-mobile network.

I'm not affiliated with them or anything, just think its way better than paying Canadian carriers roaming fees.
http://www.roammobility.com

Go to a T-mobile store, get a sim card, they have daily plans for $3, unlimited minutes, text and data.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Go to a T-mobile store, get a sim card, they have daily plans for $3, unlimited minutes, text and data.

You know, that's something I was thinking of too. Just picking up a whole bunch of cards when I'm down there next and using them/handing them out as needed. Do these these prepaid cards ever expire?

thesawch

Apr 16, 2012
You will lose the signal about half an hour after the border. Buffalo wild wings in Fargo will have the game on .If not ask they will get it up. Probably the Flyers feed however. Also you can get TSN.1290 anywhere in the world. I know a guy who listens from Egypt and a guy in Sydney Australia.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Thanks in advance!

TSN 1290's signal is about the worst in Winnipeg, I have trouble picking up the station in NK and driving in parts of Winnipeg. CJOB is easy to pick up in Grand Forks and even Fargo (I've listened to Blue Bomber games there). You will have trouble picking up 1290 once your past Morris.:shakehead

bazaaa*

You know, that's something I was thinking of too. Just picking up a whole bunch of cards when I'm down there next and using them/handing them out as needed. Do these these prepaid cards ever expire?

I don't think so, I have to check though. I was in Orlando for four days and bought one. I just kinda had to top it up as needed. I have to head down to the States soon again, so I'm trying to find my card to see if I can just top it up again. They aren't really pre-paid cards, it's really just a mobile account, and you can load money on it, and you'll get access until that money runs out. So if you're paying $3/day an dhave $15 on the account, it'll work for 5 days, then you'll have to top it back up or it won't work anymore. Pretty convenient.

The sim cards are free though, so I dont' think it's a big deal if you get one each time you go, or use the same one.

T-mobile charges extra to phone home to Canada I think though.
After looking at roammobility, it says free long distance to Canada. It's $4 per day, but only 300mb data.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
TSN 1290's signal is about the worst in Winnipeg, I have trouble picking up the station in NK and driving in parts of Winnipeg. CJOB is easy to pick up in Grand Forks and even Fargo (I've listened to Blue Bomber games there). You will have trouble picking up 1290 once your past Morris.:shakehead

I can't pick up 1290 in Transcona :S

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

I can usually listen to Jets games clearly on 1290 until I hit Lundar and not so clearly up to The Narrows so your Morris range seems pretty far off.
Also depends on your car radio. I've been in cars that get the signal clearly pretty deep into the Parkland and some (mine) that don't reach very far.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The one poster is right, about half hour south of the border. I drive that stretch 2-4 times a week. You start to get really annoying interference from another station.

tofurkey

Sep 26, 2013

My last work trip out west, I got 1290 all the way to Virden (about 300 km), but only during the day. At night, on the way back, couldn't pick it up until east side of Brandon (they have to power down at night).

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
My last work trip out west, I got 1290 all the way to Virden (about 300 km), but only during the day. At night, on the way back, couldn't pick it up until east side of Brandon (they have to power down at night).

TSN 1290 fades out downtown on my vehicles radio (Honda) but I can pick up Chicago stations, Detroit and Denver no problem!:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad