Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
2876377.gif

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Shore should have a good game. He already has some NHL experience, so he should be flying out there. I wonder if we slot him as the 3C and send Granlund back down since Arnold is injured.

I would've preferred Shore to play a little for Adirondack and called up later, but he is probably up there as one of our most NHL-ready prospects.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
To the surprise of no one. That being said it will be interesting to see what they do in regards to his waiver eligibility if he fails to impress.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
Drew Shore becomes the 24th player in #Flames history to wear #22

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To the surprise of no one. That being said it will be interesting to see what they do in regards to his waiver eligibility if he fails to impress.
They can't do anything about his waiver eligibility.... if he doesn't impress they make him a healthy scratch and demote him next year at the start of the season when waivers is flooded with tweeners

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
Drew Shore becomes the 24th player in #Flames history to wear #22

Interesting. They could've given 22 to Jooris (but only if they were willing to change a player's number mid-season, which it appears they aren't) (other than Setoguchi) (but I take it this means Setoguchi has a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting back up to the NHL) (which is justified entirely) (and I bet Shore's much better anyway).

I'm excited for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Fair enough, so does Shore take Granlund's spot in the lineup then? Or someone else?

Ramo is still on the IR, but when he comes back, someone is going to have to get sent down. My money is on Granlund because Adirondack still needs a center down there, and Markus would benefit with top 6 minutes in Addy. I think we'll have 3 goalies, one sitting in the press box during the Coyotes game (most likely Ramo). I want to see Ortio play live :nod:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ramo is still on the IR, but when he comes back, someone is going to have to get sent down. My money is on Granlund because Adirondack still needs a center down there, and Markus would benefit with top 6 minutes in Addy. I think we'll have 3 goalies, one sitting in the press box during the Coyotes game (most likely Ramo). I want to see Ortio play live :nod:

Yeah, we have three goalies, with one still on IR.

I think the person who's going to sit depends on whether they want Shore playing centre or wing. If it's centre, then yeah, Granlund is probably the odd man out.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah, we have three goalies, with one still on IR.

I think the person who's going to sit depends on whether they want Shore playing centre or wing. If it's centre, then yeah, Granlund is probably the odd man out.

It's going to be interesting the rest of this year when it comes to lineup changes. Going forward, we'll now have 2 serviceable players in the press box. I think this will benefit the team a lot more because players are going to have to really earn their minutes to keep themselves in the lineup.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Interesting note: Drew's younger brother Nick just got his first call-up on Sunday to the Kings (after Pearson broke his leg Saturday night.) The Kings play the Flames on Monday night. What are the chances the brothers get into the line-ups by then?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd be pretty surprised to see him used at wing. He's basically just been playing center and the Flames love having size down the middle. It's much more likely that Granlund gets moved over if both are in the lineup. Granlund probably is better suited at wing, yes he's decent defensively and is a good playmaker, but he's also a heck of a sniper and that would open up some scoring chances for him.

I'm super excited to see Shore, I haven't been able to watch him a ton, but I know he's a very highly regarded young player and the Flames think he's a guy who's going to make us better now. The fact that we got him despite the logjam we already have should be very telling.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Interesting. Thought they would give him a few games with Adirondack to get him adjusted to the Flames system before calling him up. Not a great message to the other prospects in the system but I guess their time will come.

As for roster spots, I'd rather they send Ortio down. Carrying three goalies won't be ideal for his development nor good asset management when it comes to trying to trade one of the others two. Plus, Ramo is supposed to start skating soon, if not today.

Raymond, Byron, Bollig, Granlund and Shore can rotate between the press box and the lineup depending on who's playing well/need for truculence. But they've really got to do something about Raymond; he's about to be a healthy scratch yet again.

Edit:

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Interesting. Thought they would give him a few games with Adirondack to get him adjusted to the Flames system before calling him up. Not a great message to the other prospects in the system but I guess their time will come.

I would hope that isn't a concern, because Flames management wasn't acquiring Shore as a prospect, but rather as an NHL player who was in the AHL for CBA reasons. Many sources have called Shore an NHL player.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I would hope that isn't a concern, because Flames management wasn't acquiring Shore as a prospect, but rather as an NHL player who was in the AHL for CBA reasons. Many sources have called Shore an NHL player.

I agree. As mentioned earlier, he has a lot more experience than most of our prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad