Drew Miller will not be offered a contract

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Could see him landing a fourth line gig in Minnesota or something. He's a good PK'er. Just has no offensive IQ whatsoever and isn't exactly speedy. I liked him during his time and he served a purpose for a long time. Guessing he is replaced by Tomas Nosek.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Could see him landing a fourth line gig in Minnesota or something. He's a good PK'er. Just has no offensive IQ whatsoever and isn't exactly speedy. I liked him during his time and he served a purpose for a long time. Guessing he is replaced by Tomas Nosek.

Yep, thank him for his time spent with the organization and let each side move on. At his peak he was one of the better 4th liners in the league, he'd have had 3 25+ point seasons in a row if he was healthy. That being said he has clearly lost a step and we have a ton of young players that can replace him at this point.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Glad they made this call. I wish Drew luck, maybe with an expansion team coming online he has a crack at someone else taking him on as a fourth liner with more jobs around the league. I doubt it, but he played hard, not really all that well for the last couple years, but Drew Miller was never a guy I didn't think was trying his hardest. I just didn't think he was very good and that he was an expendable piece with better options in house for replacement.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Would be cool to see him catch on with whatever teams ends up with Ryan. He should get an ATO with someone.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I think a thing was more of our skilled newer guys are getting PK time. AA and Larkin have seen time this season. Frans Nielsen is one of the better penalty killers. Abdelkader, Helm, and Glendening are there. It's time for Nosek to take over that role. I think he gets a PTO somewhere.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'll believe it when he's not in the line-up game 1 later this year.

:laugh: I said my goodbye when he was waived then he plays another 20 games or something. The fact he was brought back last summer was so pathetically stupid. I hated the signing along with Glendening, Ott, and Vanek. I don't think the Wings give a **** it's just another year to collect a check to them.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
To be honest I truly appreciate everything Drew Miller has done for this organization. But, he shouldn't have been given a contract last season and I'm glad the org has been open about now resigning him.

All in all a good dude who is a true work ethic NHLer.

Oct 18, 2006
Someone explain something to me.

He was waived, so we had no problems losing him.

Unclaimed.

Played in Grand Rapids.

Recalled to Detroit because of injuries.

We've now said our goodbyes.

So someone please explain why we WASTED games on Miller, instead of having a look at Frk, even Svech, or another kid? We were out of the playoff race, it was a complete waste. It's like when we played Andersson in the playoffs and then dumped him a week later. Nonsensical.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Unclaimed.

Played in Grand Rapids.

So someone please explain why we WASTED games on Miller, instead of having a look at Frk, even Svech, or another kid? We were out of the playoff race, it was a complete waste. It's like when we played Andersson in the playoffs and then dumped him a week later. Nonsensical.
Probably trying to get a better draft pick.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Kind of like a poor man's Cleary, not in the sense of how he played but in how he lingered.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Probably trying to get a better draft pick.

Doubt it. This goes back to the 'we'd rather have them playing 20 minutes in GR than 8 minutes in Detroit' philosophy. Anyone thinking that Holland and/or Blashill did anything to try and 'tank' for a better pick is more than likely wrong.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Doubt it. This goes back to the 'we'd rather have them playing 20 minutes in GR than 8 minutes in Detroit' philosophy. Anyone thinking that Holland and/or Blashill did anything to try and 'tank' for a better pick is more than likely wrong.

So they both are clueless.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The red wings roster is like when you invite your friends over to hang out then at like 230am you want to go to bed and they are all still there but every 20 minutes or so one of them stumbles out the door.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
To be honest I truly appreciate everything Drew Miller has done for this organization. But, he shouldn't have been given a contract last season and I'm glad the org has been open about now resigning him.

All in all a good dude who is a true work ethic NHLer.

14/15 he was really steady and then the next season he tore his ACL. The re-signing was fine. Helm, not so much. Miller did his job and now it's time to move on. Anyone comparing this to Dan Cleary is MOD off-base.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Unclaimed.

Played in Grand Rapids.

Well, instead of calling of Frk we calling up Street and Lorito. That should tell you where Frk is on the depth chart.

So they both are clueless.

It also tells us we have a lot of guys filling spots that maybe we don't want around. I mean, for most of the season we could have iced a top9 of

Nyquist-Z-Tatar
Mantha-Nielsen-Athanasiou
Helm-Larkin-Vanek

That still left Gator and Sheahan (yeah, I know, but they desperately tried to get him going all year) who could push for top9 spots, and fourth line/filler guys like Miller, Glendening, and Ott.

Instead of worrying about subbing Svech (or even Frk) in for Miller, I think it's a better excuse for our needing to rid ourselves of Helm or Gator, because we should be looking to swap one of those guys into that top9 somewhere and get some real minutes against good competition and with decent linemates. Playing Svech 10 minutes with Glendening and Nosek is something I'm not sure does anyone much good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad