Drew Doughty

Kingjordan

Jun 29, 2008
Just curious what everyone thought of him around the league?? I thought he had a great rookie season.. See him as a top 3 D-Man in the NHL very soon..

Wondering what does everyone think of him now and where he will be??

Vic Rattlehead*

Just curious what everyone thought of him around the league?? I thought he had a great rookie season.. See him as a top 3 D-Man in the NHL very soon..

He had a fantastic season and will only get better. It's been said many times, but the way he plays just reminds me of Bourque.

LA is very lucky to have a special player like Doughty.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I was also very impressed with the kid, especially at his age. I would say we see very slight improvement out of him for the next season or so, then a huge liftoff in his 3rd or 4th year. Top peak i see this kid as a consistent 50 point threat, while being above average in his own end.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I think he had a very good year relative to his age, but he has room for improvement. He's shaping up to be a top 15 defenseman in the league within the next couple of years.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
He'll be a 50 to 60 point Defencemen ala Mike Green withen 2 or 3 years...he'll also be better defensively..

Saevel

Nov 3, 2008
I watched just about every game he played this year, and judging by his intelligence, skills and the progress he made during the season, I'd say there's a very real chance for him to become a bona fide number one D-man.

I'd say he has the potential to put up at least 60-80 points if LA Kings become a great team. The chances of that happening are not huge though, even though they have a lot of talent, so he might end up as a 40-50pt/season guy.

Gotta say though, if he played for a really offensive team, and was allowed to go on raids as much as he wanted, he could have a Leetch/Borque/Coffee career.

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
A solid second pairing defenseman with PP skill.

everybody ignore this... whoever this kid is, he obviously needs extra attention... dont give it to him.. thats what he wants

If your really that bored... look at the dancing banana.. it should keep you entertained.. :banana::banana:

Kingjordan

Jun 29, 2008
everybody ignore this... whoever this kid is, he obviously needs extra attention... dont give it to him.. thats what he wants

If your really that bored... look at the dancing banana.. it should keep you entertained.. :banana::banana:

Now thats funny... yea I saw that comment and didnt even think it was worth responding too... No point in talking to people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Flapjack*

When did a second pairing defenseman who plays the power play become a bad thing?

Theres nothing so far that says Doughty is the next Lidstrom, and from watching him, he has plenty to learn before anybody can put him in the class of the upper echelon of defenseman like Lidstrom, Chara, Keith, etc.

He wasnt even a finalist for the Calder, even with many here campaigning for him to be, HF writers included, while I predicted the final three correctly, stating it wasnt even close.

Bogo dominated in the NHL, Doughty was good, but wasnt even the best rookie defenseman last year, that being Bogo.But again, a second pairing defenseman isnt a bad thing.

FlapJack- HF's Blackhawk expert.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
A solid second pairing defenseman with PP skill.

The thing is, that's what he already is, and he's still a teenager. Do you really see him topping out at that? I mean, he has yet to "grow up," physically become a professional athlete, and grow with a team coming out of the cellar. I have a hard time thinking he'll do anything less than be our #1 defenseman for the next 15 years.

Andrew B

Oct 13, 2008
St. Albert
He had an exceptional year considering his age.

I still think Bogosian will be the superior defensemen, but Drew Doughty will be a good top-pairing defensemen.

Ace88*

I dont know how anyone is saying Bogo was the best rookie defenceman. He didn't even play a full season, the top honours go to Schenn and Doughty, followed by Bogosian and then maybe Sbisa.

Anyways i see Doughty as possibly another Scotty Nieds, albeit with slightly less upside. Still going to be a perennial Norris competitor.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Doughty logged a ton of minutes game in game out in all kinds of situations. Kid is smooth and smart. Yes he has room to improve but I don't see Bogo being better than him now or anytime soon.

Ryan, Versteeg, and Mason all had fine seasons, should that take away from Doughty? No rookie had more of an impact on their team except for Mason.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Doughty is a Stud and should become a top pairing/#1 dman who puts up at least 50pts a year easy.
I think Bogosian is a bigger Stud. I felt at the draft that Bogosian was the best Dman of the big 4, and despite his early injury he did nothing to change that.
They will be battling for Norris Trophies for the next 15 yrs. But Bogosian IMHO will be the better player when it is all said and done.

Eugfest

Aug 17, 2007
it's pretty funny to me how every thread discussing Doughty and Bogosian as individuals turns into a comparison between the two, no matter what.

personally i think it's silly cause Doughty is going to be a #1 Dman with 50+ point seasons relying more on his skating and hockey sense, whereas Bogo will be a #1 Dman with 50+ point seasons relying more on physicality, strength, and rocket of a shot. both are great, both will be their respective team's undisputed top defencemen, so take your pick on who's style you like better. i personally like Bogosian's if i had to pick (i've seen both play), but that doesn't mean that Doughty won't be an absolute stud.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
In terms of potential and realistic expectations I think it looks like:

Doughty = Boyle
Bogosian = Weber

Take your pick. They're different players completely, though.

ugotmybeef*

I see 60 points as his upside but will improve his two way play considerably.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I like Doughty a lot, and he had a strong rookie campaign.

As for the Bogo-Dogo War, Bogo is the next Bourque, Dogo is the next Blake.

Flapjack*

Doughty logged a ton of minutes game in game out in all kinds of situations. Kid is smooth and smart. Yes he has room to improve but I don't see Bogo being better than him now or anytime soon.

Ryan, Versteeg, and Mason all had fine seasons, should that take away from Doughty? No rookie had more of an impact on their team except for Mason.

How so?

Versteeg carried the Hawks on his back for almost a month and was a main reason they finished amongst the elite in the West. Was also fantastic in the playoffs until he went into business for himself taking stupid penalties against Detroit.

Ryan was the best non-goalie rookie by far, and might have netted 50 if he played a whole season.

Both helped their teams make the playoffs, and deserved their accolades as Calder finalists, which I predicted pefectly.

Doughty didnt.
If Bogo had played a whole year, nobody would be talking about Doughty, but even in limited action Bogo made more of an impact, and Iam not knocking Doughty, I just think he isnt as special as Bogo, thats MHO.

He has plenty of time to prove me wrong, but in all honesty, I see him regressing on his performance this year instead of getting better, he walked into a pefect situation in LA where he saw alot of minutes, and thats about it. Hes far from being a Norris contender any time soon, and with Bogo being more physical, I would give Zack the nod as to who will win the Norris between the two. But both are far away from the upper echelon defenseman like Chara, Lidstrom, keith to even be acknowledged for the award anyway.

We shall see

FlapJack- HF's Blackhawk expert

Flapjack*

I like Doughty a lot, and he had a strong rookie campaign.

As for the Bogo-Dogo War, Bogo is the next Bourque, Dogo is the next Blake.

While I agree Bogo compares favorably with Bouque, I have Doughty pegged as a Brian Rafalski type when Doughty peaks.

FlapJack- HF's Blackhawk expert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad