Speculation: Dreger: Babs interested in other jobs?

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
Hard to fire the coach with the team making the playoffs, especially when the coach is as highly respected league wide as Babcock. It's clear as day this team has got progressively worse since 08 and it isn't the fault of the guy behind the bench

Winning/good coaches have been fired plenty of times when they don't buy into the GMs program.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Thought he used to live in Novi, but that is even closer.

I feel like we probably went to the same school... haha.

Babcock may have thought about it at some point. He was getting the same team and didn't really have a challenge. But now I think he is embracing the young kids. He wants to coach, and when have teams that he has had, I don't think it is that big a of challenge (from a professional coach perspective).

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
As a Michigan grad, I would love for Babs to take over for Red. He started at McGill University so he clearly loves the college game and understands it. It would be great for the Wolverines to have a Cup winning coach. And though I think Babs is severely underrated here (yes, I know people aren't saying his history isn't good they're saying he's been too inflexible lately), I think people ignore the fact that people in charge are more prone to try to maintain the status quo than outsiders who don't have a job at stake. The bottom line is he's adapted (because he's had to, yes), but he's done it. We have a productive 3rd line of all rookies. He's loved a rookie D-man (that most of us haven't) and another one (that we have). He's keeping Sammy sidelined in favor of a hot team with a lot of youth. He was forced to do it, but he's doing it. And yeah, he's had the toughest job as the Wings coach of any season he's been here and we might make the playoffs... and do some damage based on our recent play.

Yes, I agree teams tune out coaches, but he's probably earned the rest of his contract unless there's a revolt brewing. And based on the team's play lately, I don't think that's the case. He's giving them a chance to win and he's adjusting/adapting. Babs isn't the problem. He's not clearly the solution, but he might be. And I'd rather have him than anyone else. And taking a chance on a random person... eh.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Why wouldn't Babs move to AA if he got a job at U of Mich? I know I would. Great college town, lots of nice neighborhoods, etc.

I also thought he mentioned having a daughter at U o Mich?

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
Why wouldn't Babs move to AA if he got a job at U of Mich? I know I would. Great college town, lots of nice neighborhoods, etc.

He would clearly move. If you're coaching in college, you have to love being in that environment.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well I guess we know where the next Rutgers esk college coaching scandal will be, U of M hockey. Sure players will flock to be there, but cannot imagine Babs at practice or in meetings, part of why I wanted to watch 24/7 so bad this year.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Hope he does. Would love to see his scowl when OSU comes in and beats down Michigan every other year.

r7carlson24

Mar 15, 2013
I know both of Red's assistants, Mel Pearson (now head coach at Michigan Tech) and Billy Powers (still at UM) have long been assumed to take over after Red retired, but then Dave Brandon was hired. From what I've heard Dave made it pretty clear he wasn't going to hire one of them simply because they worked for Red for many years, especially when neither had head coach experience. Ive heard this was the main reason that Pearson ended up taking the Tech job after turning it down previously.

Seeing how Brandon works I would not be shocked to see Babcock move there when Red retires and his contract is up with the Wings. Brandon is not afraid to dish out money if it means UM will have the best chance to succeed. They are dumping money all over the place in Ann Arbor and he definitely doesn't go cheap when it comes to coaches.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
He would clearly move. If you're coaching in college, you have to love being in that environment.

I lived there for the past 14 years before moving to Washington state last summer. If you have the option of picking where you'd want to live in SE Michigan, it would still be my top choice. I guess I like college towns though, and there were plenty of options for dining, shopping, concerts, etc., but still close enough to access metro Detroit activities.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
I lived there for the past 14 years before moving to Washington state last summer. If you have the option of picking where you'd want to live in SE Michigan, it would still be my top choice. I guess I like college towns though, and there were plenty of options for dining, shopping, concerts, etc., but still close enough to access metro Detroit activities.

Totally agree. I lived there for 5 years before moving to LA and now I'm back in school in Lincoln, NE (which isn't at all bad as it sounds... really like it actually), but Ann Arbor is a special place.

joplin

Dec 20, 2010
EU
why would babcock go to Michigan (besides his son)?
Salary?! I don´t get it...Wasn´t the money a reason he quit Anaheim and gone to Detroit?

RedWingsNow*

Salary?! I don´t get it...Wasn´t the money a reason he quit Anaheim and gone to Detroit?

1) Could be a comfy, lifetime job with a lot less stress, travel, time away from family.
2) Babcock has a history in college coaching
3) Players tune out coach? So what. They're gone in 4-years max.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
1) Could be a comfy, lifetime job with a lot less stress, travel, time away from family.
2) Babcock has a history in college coaching
3) Players tune out coach? So what. They're gone in 4-years max.

this was the first thing I thought of when I see Babcock connected with UM. He's worried about his message becoming stale, outsiders worry about players tuning him out over time, etc. Coaching at a college seems like the perfect antidote to that. Also, Babcock talks a lot about teaching the game. I think the opportunity to take a bunch of young kids and 'teach" them the game might hold more appeal to him than we think.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Well he has made quite a bit of money since then too. If they can hit the million dollar range, he has awesome job security and can do whatever he wants. I don't think he wants to leave the area either so really it makes a ton of sense.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Suggestions Babcock will be Red Berenson's successor at U of Mich. Babcock says not true. 2 yrs left on deal with Det and he's very happy.

Red has two years left on his deal for what its worth.

Pretty much... you can count 1+1.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Wild thought, but Nill just went over to Dallas, they have a fairly young (excluding Whitney) team there, they almost made the playoffs, could be a nice challenge for Babs...

RedWingsNow*

Wild thought, but Nill just went over to Dallas, they have a fairly young (excluding Whitney) team there, they almost made the playoffs, could be a nice challenge for Babs...

Interesting but unlikely.

I think the Babs to college idea makes sense.

Otherwise, I think he's looking for a front office job.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Some wild speculation surrounding Mike Babcock's future with the Red Wings and his potential job prospects. More ahead on NHL on TSN.

No access to TSN so if anyone could dig into this.

I know the Michigan rumors have been rampant for a while but I just cannot fathom that ever happening.

Yeah Babs denies this, He has 2 more years left on his contract. And plans on commiting his 2 years to the Red Wings. And Red also has 2 more years left on his deal at Michigan as well, So maybe after that time is up it could be possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad