Speculation: Dreger: Babs interested in other jobs?

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Some wild speculation surrounding Mike Babcock's future with the Red Wings and his potential job prospects. More ahead on NHL on TSN.

No access to TSN so if anyone could dig into this.

I know the Michigan rumors have been rampant for a while but I just cannot fathom that ever happening.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Some wild speculation surrounding Mike Babcock's future with the Red Wings and his potential job prospects. More ahead on NHL on TSN.

No access to TSN so if anyone could dig into this.

I know the Michigan rumors have been rampant for a while but I just cannot fathom that ever happening.

Was really surprised Edmonton filled their GM job so quick, thought he would go there and be Coach and GM.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Wild speculation makes me thing it really is something insane. I know a few former Michigan hockey players who are close to the program still. They have heard Babcock is interested in replacing Red but Red still has two years left on his deal. Apparently Babs hates NHL travel and would love to coach his son. His kid could go spend two years in the USHL and then come in when Babs is ready in that scenario but I just don't see it. UM boosters would be willing to pay him over a mil per which is crazy for college hockey coaches.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
He was rumored to be going to the University of Michigan, but Babcock say's he's not going anywhere, and that he's staying in the Detroit area as his daughter is in high school there.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
He was rumored to be going to the University of Michigan, but Babcock say's he's not going anywhere, and that he's staying in the Detroit area as his daughter is in high school there.

Which is why Michigan makes perfect sense. If he's on the west side of Metro Detroit like most of the players AA isn't a far drive at all

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
From what Dreger just said on the pre-game, Babcock said the rumors were false and that he's staying with the Wings.

Its possible he was lying, but I have no reason to doubt him.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Suggestions Babcock will be Red Berenson's successor at U of Mich. Babcock says not true. 2 yrs left on deal with Det and he's very happy.

Red has two years left on his deal for what its worth.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
Hopefully it's some truth to it

Holland should take notice and do the same.

Yeah, the coach who coached the team with the most man games lost to injury, after losing their hall of fame, number one defenseman and second best defenseman, into holding their own destiny on the last day of the season is such a horrible coach.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I do think he is the next coach at U of M. He lives in Novi easy 20-30 minute commute. He will leave when this contract is up and Blashill will take over if he isn't already stolen from the AHL.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Yeah, the coach who coached the team with the most man games lost to injury, after losing their hall of fame, number one defenseman and second best defenseman, into holding their own destiny on the last day of the season is such a horrible coach.

Players will always tune out eventually, changes are needed.

CloneHakanPlease*

Which is why Michigan makes perfect sense. If he's on the west side of Metro Detroit like most of the players AA isn't a far drive at all

Babcock lives next to a coworker on [mod] in Northville in a sub a mile away from Compuware and 96 east. It's less than a 15 minute drive to AA in good traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if he has at least considered it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
From what Dreger just said on the pre-game, Babcock said the rumors were false and that he's staying with the Wings.

Its possible he was lying, but I have no reason to doubt him.

I guess the real guy to track down would be Red out at U of M. If he is leaving before his contract is up, this gains a lot of traction.

CloneHakanPlease*

Grew up in Bellagio when I still lived with my parents :yo:. Sup fellow Northvillian

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
Players will always tune out eventually, changes are needed.

You sound like a friggin broken record. If this team has tuned him out why are they buying into his system this year and playing so hard to make the playoffs. You act like this team would be first in the West if Babcock weren't around.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I don't know if I buy the UM talk. I've been hearing for weeks now that Babcock and Cleary are likely a packaged deal with wherever that may be.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Coaches, especially over demanding coaches burn out their welcome and sometimes fast. I also feel there is a serious disconnect between Babcock and Holland

Babcock has mellowed out from when he first came here. Nill is drafting players that seem to fit the Babcock mold, ie not small, super slow guys who think the game real good.

Holland has struck out on every significant move since the Hossa one year deal. So there's reason to think he'll move up the food chain sometime soon. When he was interviewed on after hours he said he's got two kids getting married this summer so maybe that indicates he'll be ready to work for peanuts as a senior vp after this summer. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad