Dream Trip !!

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
John's is great but their hours are limited. Gotta get there early. Dude if you live in Philly you have to know people who get whiz on their steaks. Everyone I know in Philly does. As for Dalessandro's, unless Benny has a rental car, there's no sense in him taking a cab from downtown to Roxborough. Their steaks are real good but not better than Jim's IMO. And not worth a $30 cab ride to a neighborhood with nothing else to do.

Yup, no rental car. Going on some tour Friday , so hopefully we hit some of the steak spots, as will for sure have a few while there !!

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yup, no rental car. Going on some tour Friday , so hopefully we hit some of the steak spots, as will for sure have a few while there !!

In you're having a few (and all within the city/downtown limits)... definitely hit Jim's on South Street. It's on an iconic Philly street with plenty to see and do. Also hit up Tony Lukes on Front & Oregon before one of the games. But if you go there, I highly recommend their roast pork with sharp Provolone. Then, even though it's a guilty pleasure, hit up Geno's (not Pat's) after a night of drinking. Go there around 2:30 or 3:00am and enjoy the scenery. The Pat's/Geno's corner is where all of the "famous" Philly cheesesteak shots are taken. It's where the NHL draftees were taken during their tour of Philly, etc. Their steaks aren't the best in the city but it's the experience. And Geno's is better than Pat's.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
In you're having a few (and all within the city/downtown limits)... definitely hit Jim's on South Street. It's on an iconic Philly street with plenty to see and do. Also hit up Tony Lukes on Front & Oregon before one of the games. But if you go there, I highly recommend their roast pork with sharp Provolone. Then, even though it's a guilty pleasure, hit up Geno's (not Pat's) after a night of drinking. Go there around 2:30 or 3:00am and enjoy the scenery. The Pat's/Geno's corner is where all of the "famous" Philly cheesesteak shots are taken. It's where the NHL draftees were taken during their tour of Philly, etc. Their steaks aren't the best in the city but it's the experience. And Geno's is better than Pat's.

Thanks for the great info, is Genos far from the stadiums ?

F L Y E R S

Orange & Black
Aug 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Since you're staying at the Holiday Inn by the stadiums, John's and Tony Luke's are the closest. I lived in South Philly my whole life, I consider Tony Luke's overrated and a tourists trap, just like Geno's and Pats. John's is definitely a great cheese steak. They throw the steak in little ziploc like bags with oil and let it soak in. Gives it good flavor. Jim's on south st is my other spot. Everybody's different though. Each has their own preference obviously.

Chickies and Petes right down the same street(Packer ave) as the hotel is a good spot, with good food and atmosphere. It's 2 lights down on the other side of broad st, left hand side.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Chickies and Petes right down the same street(Packer ave) as the hotel is a good spot, with good food and atmosphere. It's 2 lights down on the other side of broad st, left hand side.

Chickies and Petes is a great spot. Definitely awesome pregame place. And a straight walk up to the game.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
That is cool. I fly in from Texas 1x a year to catch a game and go to the Carnival. This year will be my 4th time. Catching the Flyers in person for the first time - at the home arena - is really awesome

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Gross almost gave me a stroke last night, but did a tour today which was great and whoever suggested Jims Steaks, fantastic steak with whiz and peppers :handclap:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Gross almost gave me a stroke last night, but did a tour today which was great and whoever suggested Jims Steaks, fantastic steak with whiz and peppers :handclap:

Told you Benjamin. Tonight hit up Old City, you won't be disappointed. Then tomorrow, pregame at Chickies & Petes on Broad & Packer around 3pm. Then around 5pm, walk up to the Wells Fargo and enter at the AT&T Pavillion (on the side of the building facing the Eagles stadium). You can pregame in there from 5:20-6:30 then venture down to the lower seats to watch warm-ups. Then, post-game, walk over to the XfinityLive. It will be a memorable trip. :yo:

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Just getting packed and licking my wounds. Other than not getting a Flyers win, absolute incredible trip of a lifetime. Will be back again soon. Just amazing people and place. :handclap:

Glad you enjoyed the trip, Benny. I know they didn't win, but I was at the home opener, too, and it was pretty damn exciting in the 2nd. Loudest I've heard the place since last year's 4-0 win against the Pens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad