Dream Trip !!

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
After 35 yrs of being a Flyer fan, Wed I fly in for my first ever trip to Philly with a buddy. Going to watch Wed game in the hotel bar then going to home opener Thursday, Habs Saturday, and Eagles Sunday.

If anyone is tailgating or pre gaming anywhere, would love to meet some folks from here and have a beer .

Admins move to visitor if need, just crazy excited as this is a big bucket list item :nod:

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
Congrats, man!

I would also like to know what made you a Philly (especially Flyers) fan?

Do yourself a favor and grab a steak sandwich at Chubby's or Delessandro's in Roxborough (assuming you have access to a car).

I am not in town towards the end of the week otherwise I would definitely meet up! Consider taking in the season opener at Xfinity Center Live. Bound to be an insane amount of Flyer fans there...

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Very cool! What made you such a big Philly fan being from the 'Peg?

Born and raised 7 hours north of Winnipeg!!! Home to a pretty famous FLyer :sarcasm:

Flin Flon probably has the biggest per capita amount of Flyer fans outside of Philly itself !

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Sounds cool, enjoy man. Go to Xfinity Live for the opener. The viewing screen is massive and they sync the audio into the bar. It's probably one of the coolest places in the city to watch a game.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Watch the game on Wed at Xfinity Live, it's across from the Wells Fargo Center, should be a lot of fun with lots of Flyers fans.

Get a cheesesteak at either Delessandro's or Mama's Pizzeria on Belmont Ave.

Visit the Art Museum, great exhibits and running the steps like Rocky is a Philly staple. And check out Old Philadelphia as well. The Liberty Bell, Constitution Center, all that stuff is cool. Idk if it'll mean as much to you being from a different country, but if you care about history at all, you'll find it all to be really cool. Ben Franklin Museum is cool too.

Most of all, have fun! Tell people why you're visiting and I'm sure most people will be really excited to make sure you're having a good time in the city.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Watch the game on Wed at Xfinity Live, it's across from the Wells Fargo Center, should be a lot of fun with lots of Flyers fans.

Get a cheesesteak at either Delessandro's or Mama's Pizzeria on Belmont Ave.

Visit the Art Museum, great exhibits and running the steps like Rocky is a Philly staple. And check out Old Philadelphia as well. The Liberty Bell, Constitution Center, all that stuff is cool. Idk if it'll mean as much to you being from a different country, but if you care about history at all, you'll find it all to be really cool. Ben Franklin Museum is cool too.

Most of all, have fun! Tell people why you're visiting and I'm sure most people will be really excited to make sure you're having a good time in the city.

Thanks, taking a bus tour Friday that hits all the sites. Staying at the Holiday Inn that is less than 1 km from rink so will hit xfinity if time allows !

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Born and raised 7 hours north of Winnipeg!!! Home to a pretty famous FLyer :sarcasm:

Flin Flon probably has the biggest per capita amount of Flyer fans outside of Philly itself !

Duh... I feel dumb. haha. That's awesome though enjoy your time! I may hit up xfinity myself wednesday.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Duh... I feel dumb. haha. That's awesome though enjoy your time! I may hit up xfinity myself wednesday.

We are gonna wear Bomber jerseys Sat night, so we should stick out like sore thumbs !!

Is there a specific bar at xfinity that is best ?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I enjoy Victory its all local beers and is a beerhall style setting, but there is Broad Street Bullies which is probably what you are looking for, or just the middle area (NBC) or outside. It's all really close you can walk through the whole complex in minutes when its not packed. I'm not a fan of the PBR Bar. The Spectrum area is more like a dinner style setting/seating area.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Flyers are definitely having an opening night soiree over at Xfinity

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
After 35 yrs of being a Flyer fan, Wed I fly in for my first ever trip to Philly with a buddy. Going to watch Wed game in the hotel bar then going to home opener Thursday, Habs Saturday, and Eagles Sunday.

If anyone is tailgating or pre gaming anywhere, would love to meet some folks from here and have a beer .

Admins move to visitor if need, just crazy excited as this is a big bucket list item :nod:

Good stuff. Forget about the hotel bar, watch the Wed game at either XFinity Live or Chickies & Petes on Packer Avenue (walking distance from the Wells Fargo Center). If you want to hitup some nice bars in general, I'd recommend Old City or Rittenhouse.

For cheesesteaks, your best bet is to stay within downtown Philly (instead of Roxborough, etc.) and go to Jim's on South Street. Treat yourself to a cheesesteak with fried onions and extra cheese wiz. Toss a little ketchup on there and you're golden. It's a gooey, nasty, mess of a sandwich but delicious.

Before the Thursday and Saturday games, go to the Wells Fargo Center AT LEAST an hour before the game starts and hitup the Pavillion inside the center.

For the Eagles on Sunday, you want to get down their early and tailgate. Bring your own beers and foods for the lot. And, whatever you do, don't wear blue ;)

Philly is a fun city, despite what people say. Remember the good bar areas are Old City and Rittenhouse. There is also a great bar called 19 on the 19th floor of the Bellevue hotel. Great spot. If you want to take in some sights, I'd recommend the Rocky statue at the Art Museum, the Liberty Bell, Franklin Court, Betsy Ross House, Constitution Center and the Edgar Allen Poe house.

EagleFlyer

Peco Power Play
Nov 28, 2011
Kelowna
This buddy of yours sounds awesome! Is he really flying across the country to celebrate your 40th???? LOL

I am also a huge Flyer and Eagle fan! I am tired of waiting and just want to get there!

See you Wednesday Benny!

TrojanDan46

Jun 9, 2007
D7 for Tailgating on Thursday Ill be down there around 3 PM. Delassandros for a Cheesesteak is a MUST. Birds game will be great Sunday go to JETRO lot for the best tailgating IMO.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
D7 for Tailgating on Thursday Ill be down there around 3 PM. Delassandros for a Cheesesteak is a MUST. Birds game will be great Sunday go to JETRO lot for the best tailgating IMO.

Are you allowed to just buy beer and bring it with you as we wont be driving, probably just walking over ?

SgtJoseph*

Hope you have a great visit to Philly, enjoy the games !

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Nice, Benny!

I did something similar during the 2010 SCF: toured the city for a couple of days before catching Game 4 vs Chicago.

TrojanDan46

Jun 9, 2007
Are you allowed to just buy beer and bring it with you as we wont be driving, probably just walking over ?

Yeah, Im sure you could get away with that just say your meeting up with someone. Ill be in D-7 lot there is usually a lot of people tailgating in that section.

PAZUZU

Jan 25, 2012
Philly 'burbs
sounds like an awesome trip, you should have a great time. only suggestion I disagree with in this thread is whiz on your cheesesteak, I've lived here my whole life and nobody I know puts whiz on their cheesesteak. John's Roast Pork makes the best cheesesteaks IMO, you are not too far from them. you might even be able to walk to Tony Luke's.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
sounds like an awesome trip, you should have a great time. only suggestion I disagree with in this thread is whiz on your cheesesteak, I've lived here my whole life and nobody I know puts whiz on their cheesesteak. John's Roast Pork makes the best cheesesteaks IMO, you are not too far from them. you might even be able to walk to Tony Luke's.

John's is great but their hours are limited. Gotta get there early. Dude if you live in Philly you have to know people who get whiz on their steaks. Everyone I know in Philly does. As for Dalessandro's, unless Benny has a rental car, there's no sense in him taking a cab from downtown to Roxborough. Their steaks are real good but not better than Jim's IMO. And not worth a $30 cab ride to a neighborhood with nothing else to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad