Draper on Team Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Gretzky said:
I'd rather see Canada role four kick-*** scoring lines and just out score everyone. I mean, how much ice time is a grind line going to get for Canada anyway? If you're facing the Czech Rep. and Jagr is playing 22-25 minutes per game, does that mean you're going to play Drapper 22-25 minutes per game?
That's exactly what happened at the last World Cup and we almost lost because of that. Maybe it's just me but it seemed that Canada's fourth line was getting the most minutes which was extremely frustrating to watch. Thank goodness that the checking line had a player in the name of Joe Thornton who possessed a whole lot of talent and evened out the lines a little.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
GagsIsDaMan said:
And hey, why mess with what brought you a Gold Medal and a World Championship already?
Which gold medal? The 2002 Olympic gold medal? Who were on the grind line on that team? Didn't Gretzky said that at the 2002 Olympic, he chose the best possible players?

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
It is one issue whether you have the best checking 2 way player on your team over more skilled players but the issue with Draper is different one altogether.He is not playing ANYWHERE near his normal form.Minus -5 on the Detroit Red Wings :eek: .

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
SopelFan said:
I hope they don't take Draper. This is supposed to be based on this season's performances, and if we go with the same old, same old... it will be annoying.

Morrow, Cooke, Madden, etc. are all better choices.

If it's based on this season's performances, you can leave Martin Brodeur at home.
But you can't.

So that argument isn't that valid...

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
interminded said:
If it's based on this season's performances, you can leave Martin Brodeur at home.
But you can't.

So that argument isn't that valid...

This is a weak arguement, far too black and white. Brodeur has played well enough and has enough credintials to over shadows his less than Brodeur-esque play.

Drapper on the other hand, while he does have plenty of credentials, has played very poorly and hasn't been the integral part of Team Canada that Brodeur has.

AgentOrange*

Gretzky said:
This is a weak arguement, far too black and white. Brodeur has played well enough and has enough credintials to over shadows his less than Brodeur-esque play.

Drapper on the other hand, while he does have plenty of credentials, has played very poorly and hasn't been the integral part of Team Canada that Brodeur has.

There is only 1 "p" in Draper. :teach:

I would think you would've figured/realized that out after reading every other post in this thread where it was spelled correctly.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
ferns8916 said:
I have said it before, and I will say it again....Guys like Draper are needed on winning hockey teams. They are not good Fantasy Hockey players, but they are good Real-Life Hockey players.

A team doesn't just win by scoring the most goals. A team also wins by preventing the other team from scoring. Guys like Draper excel at this aspect of the game.

So considering the fact that the team already is full of offensive players, why not try to round out the roster with players who will help you win the games in other ways (ie. with defense or grit)?

I don't have a problem with taking guys like Draper. My problem is with Draper.

The guy is closing in on his 35th birthday, has 1 goal this year, and has been invisible in the Detroit games I've seen. It's pretty clear that he isn't the player he was 2-3 years ago.

Meanwhile, he's been passed by younger guys like Fisher, Schaefer, Moreau, Cooke. Same type of energy/checking/PK guys, but much more effective at this point.

Why would we take Draper when a top checking center like Mike Fisher is scoring at nearly a 30-goal clip and helping anchor the #1 PK unit in the league?

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
Gretzky said:

Of course, that's why I said: BUT YOU CAN'T...

Same with Draper then: He's a proven grinder, everybody knows, he's just having a so-so season thus far.

Isn't that the same thing then ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad