Draisaitl vs McDavid - Most points down the stretch?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers next game is in 10 days. So I imagine we're going to run out of things to talk about lol.

Once McDavid is back, who do you think will put up more points down the stretch? McDavid or Draisaitl?

32 games to go in the season. What do their numbers look like for the final 2.5 months of the year?

Shredator

Oct 6, 2009
Edmonton
Draisaitl is a beast. I think hes going to have more points playing with Hall.
McDavid can drive his line, but will play with the likes of Yakupov.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
As unreal as Draisaitl is, I think McDavid is the best player in the world. Have to pick him even if he's playing with Poo and Yak.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think McDavid gets our power play going and gets Eberle/Pouliot/Yak going. He just creates so much every time he's on the ice its insane. If he got some better finish from not only himself but his line mates (and 2 points called back from the ****** war room and coaches challenge) he easily had closer to 20 points before his injury.
As unreal as Draisaitl is, I think McDavid is the best player in the world. Have to pick him even if he's playing with Poo and Yak.

I think he gets a go with Eberle as well, who could be a great fit for him. He seems to turn defences into chaos and find guys in high danger areas numerous times per game, and Eberle has better finish than either of those 2.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I think he gets a go with Eberle as well, who could be a great fit for him. He seems to turn defences into chaos and find guys in high danger areas numerous times per game, and Eberle has better finish than either of those 2.
The bolded is the point, no? Outside of Hall/Drai, cause those two are going to be played together, who on this team knows how to put himself in those areas?
Eberle. And to a somewhat lesser extent Purcell.
And once there, who knows how to finish the play? Eberle. And to a lesser extent Purcell.

After all the trying is done, I bet the top six washes out like this

Hall-Drai-RNH
Purcell-McDavid-Eberle

Not that I agree with that lineup, just what I think coach will end up running.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Drai sticks with Hall
Really depends on McDavid's line-mates.

Eberle is too slow and lacking in passion and I really don't expect as much out of McDavid's line with Eberle on it. Yakupov is so desperate to succeed that you see him going to places where McDavid wants him linemates to be so that Yak can look good putting points up. Eberle won't do that.

Whether Pouliot or Kassian is the other guy on their wing, they'll work well with the line. At this point I prefer Pouliot because he skates so well. Would rather wait a bit for Kassian to prove that he can stand on the line and not trip over it.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Eberle is too slow and lacking in passion and I really don't expect as much out of McDavid's line with Eberle on it. Yakupov is so desperate to succeed that you see him going to places where McDavid wants him linemates to be so that Yak can look good putting points up. Eberle won't do that.
I love it when people just make stuff up. Yakupov is desperate to succeed? He told you this?
Eberle lacks in passion? Talk about fantasyland.

As to the bolded ... when have you ever seen Yakupov doing that? If he could do that, or had been showing any of that, he wouldn't be having the problems he's been having in his career. I have no idea whether Yakupov is desperate or not, but even if he is, that alone isn't going to help him get to the right spots. You need the brain to process the flow of the game. Again, when has Yakupov ever shown himself to be in possession of that attribute?

And then for good measure you just add on "Eberle won't do that" at the end of your post. Like a summary. :laugh: The guy who has made a living doing that more than any other player on the team "won't" do that when played with McDavid because .... oh, right, I forgot, he lacks passion.

This is why its so hard to take Eberle criticisms seriously. They lack any substance. The guy who scores the most goals is the passenger. The guy who is consistently scoring most of his goals from knowing where to be on the ice should give way to the guy who obviously hasn't mastered North American positional hockey 101.

Good grief.

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
Yakupov needed one of the best players on earth to make him a valueable player. Eberle will be the best finisher that McDavid has ever played with, by a long shot. He's been one of our best finishers for years, playing with centers who aren't one of the best players in the world.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I love it when people just make stuff up. Yakupov is desperate to succeed? He told you this?
Eberle lacks in passion? Talk about fantasyland.

As to the bolded ... when have you ever seen Yakupov doing that? If he could do that, or had been showing any of that, he wouldn't be having the problems he's been having in his career. I have no idea whether Yakupov is desperate or not, but even if he is, that alone isn't going to help him get to the right spots. You need the brain to process the flow of the game. Again, when has Yakupov ever shown himself to be in possession of that attribute?

And then for good measure you just add on "Eberle won't do that" at the end of your post. Like a summary. :laugh: The guy who has made a living doing that more than any other player on the team "won't" do that when played with McDavid because .... oh, right, I forgot, he lacks passion.

This is why its so hard to take Eberle criticisms seriously. They lack any substance. The guy who scores the most goals is the passenger. The guy who is consistently scoring most of his goals from knowing where to be on the ice should give way to the guy who obviously hasn't mastered North American positional hockey 101.

Good grief.

How often do we see a look of grief and frustration on Yak's face? We've seen him go through some degree of change since he's come to Edmonton, but Eberle is the opposite. He's more or less the same player that he was when he first showed up here and these past few years it's looked like we've seen Eberle peak here in Edmonton. He hasn't cared enough take his game to the next level. That's why he shows up in so many trade proposals.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
How often do we see a look of grief and frustration on Yak's face? We've seen him go through some degree of change since he's come to Edmonton, but Eberle is the opposite. He's more or less the same player that he was when he first showed up here and these past few years it's looked like we've seen Eberle peak here in Edmonton. He hasn't cared enough take his game to the next level. That's why he shows up in so many trade proposals.

Who cares how he emotes, bottom line Eberle is a better + smarter player than Yak and that isn't likely to change anytime soon if ever. Only reason to push Eberle out over Yak is if the return is significantly better on Eberle or we need the cap savings for another move.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Do you think EDM goes with McDavid-RNH-Draisaitl down the road, or moves Draisaitl to wing?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I think Drai is a beast but McDavid will even be better.

Add to the fact McDavid will be playing with Eberle, they are going to rack up some points.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Thought the voting would be a little closer TBH. I've thought Draisaitl has looked as good as McDavid did. Maybe it's just been too long and I've forgotten how good McDavid looked.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I think Draisaitl.

Nothing against McDavid, he's going to be amazing, but I think it'll take him a while to get things "going" again after missing so much time. Plus there really is no one on this team (in terms of potential line-mates) to help him re-acclimatize, so he's going to have to pretty much get it done on his own. Most likely whatever plugs he plays with, he's going to have to haul them up and down the ice, and pat them on the head, feed them passes, and tell them they're "pretty". A lot of pressure for a rookie. Still, he's the best player on the team in every regard, so that gives me hope.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They had Drai at wing until McDavid went down. I don't see why they wouldn't go back to it. Having one of McDavid, Drai, or Nuge on the third line will get old fast.

That Hall-Nuge-Drai line produced like crazy when they were together. I'd prefer them to put that back together. If they want to put Drai at centre and Nuge on wing that works for me too.

3 Lines in theory sounds good, but I think if you can constantly go with that line and McDavid's line back to back its going to create a lot of offence and momentum for when you throw the 3rd and 4th line out after those 2. I'd rather have 2 very effective dangerous lines than 3 good but not always dangerous lines.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Who cares how he emotes, bottom line Eberle is a better + smarter player than Yak and that isn't likely to change anytime soon if ever. Only reason to push Eberle out over Yak is if the return is significantly better on Eberle or we need the cap savings for another move.

Agreed, Eberle has hands and scoring touch. Whether people like other aspects to his game aside from McDavid he has been the most consistent scorer on the team. Eberle will do really well with mcdavid, he can think on the same level as mcdavid.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I believe McDavid will play cautiously for the rest of the season. I'm not expecting huge numbers until next year. I'd actually prefer that over him risking injury by going to dirty areas or free wheeling. He can gain more NHL experience from these 32 games which I find more important. Then in the off season, build more strength and conditioning for next year. I'd freak out if he got injured again by some **** playing dirty.His leg strength should of increased tremendously to make him harder to push off the puck or to go off balance. That'll only improve further in the off season. We'll have him for many years to come so these next few months point totals shouldn't be the important thing. His health is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I am sure you meant to say garbage games instead of stretch. In any event this is a very easy decision.

Draisaitl will be getting tougher minutes and his offence will suffer. McDavid will benefit from that in a big way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad