Player Discussion Draisaitl: The TRUE Captain of the Oilers

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Hehe Loved the pass in the last minute of tonights game
What about McDavid's no-look pass that sent Kopitar on a breakaway? And how he watched Arvidson blow by him on another play? The whole team, including our captain and leader, was terrible last night. Take your double standards elsewhere.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I did not expect to go through so many pages to find a Draisaitl thread in the Oilers section.

If I remember correctly sportsnet and Marc Spector aren't too popular here, but I honestly liked this article from March 29th.
There are some nice quotes in there that I find fairly accurate, and also some interesting stats.

From the article:
“He is hockey’s only “pass-first 50-goal scorer.” - Zach Hyman

“It's been a funny year for me personally, to be honest. I haven't really been happy with the way I've been playing. Obviously, the statistics would probably tell you otherwise, but I think there's another level to the way that I just want to play. Not about statistics or goals, assists, or whatever it is.” - Leon Draisaitl (around Christmas)

“He is the Ernie Els to McDavid’s Tiger Woods. He is judged against Connor every day. I don’t think we celebrate Leon as much as we should.” - Rob Brown

“Poor Leon can't get his name in the paper. Got 100 points, and he's anonymous.” - Paul Maurice

Draisaitl’s faceoff work is as dependable as an old farm dog, third among NHL regulars at 58.5 per cent and tops with 72.2 per cent while shorthanded since the All-Star break.

Why is Edmonton’s power play soaring along at 32.7 per cent success? It starts with Draisaitl, who beats the other team’s best defensive centreman a league-high 70.9 per cent of the time (tied with Bo Horvat).

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I did not expect to go through so many pages to find a Draisaitl thread in the Oilers section.

If I remember correctly sportsnet and Marc Spector aren't too popular here, but I honestly liked this article from March 29th.
There are some nice quotes in there that I find fairly accurate, and also some interesting stats.

From the article:
Wait 70.9% power play faceoff rate? How?????????????? That's legit beyond absurd.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think its a debate that is similar to the old Gretzky-Messier debate.

Both are very productive on the ice and almost impossible to replace. One is a more of a pure skill but reserved personality while the other is also high skill but animated and more physical. Which is more valuable? The answer is that the parts are greater than the sum of the parts. It's an intangible that is hard to measure.

The big question now is can the Oilers keep both Mc-D and Drai in the fold for another 5-6 years before the end inevitably comes?

If Drai doesn't sign an extension by next summer (2024) then the major trade talk hits the HOF board big time. It might even garner more posts than the JP saga.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What a garbage thread. Shame on the OP. The team is red hot two weeks before the playoffs start and this is what you want to talk about?

Edit: Didn’t realize this was an old thread freshly bumped before I posted. I stand by what I wrote though. It is a garbage thread.

Last edited:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
We have the pleasure of watching 2 of the best 3 players in the world and you want to try to stir up some sort of crap? Go join HF Leafs board

Reactions: Zenos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad