Player Discussion Draisaitl: The TRUE Captain of the Oilers

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
I had been thinking about this over the last couple days, and while Connor leads by example and is a great leader, I feel Drai is the TRUE Captain of the team. The dude just spits the truth through interviews, he hypes up his teammates both on the ice and through social media and he just seems like the better fit with the 'C' on his chest, to be honest.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Gretzky vs Messier type of argument.

We’re not in the room, we have no idea what’s actually going on. All I’ll say is talking to current and former Oilers staff and players that they rave about McDavid’s competitiveness and how he leads by example. So they don’t seem to have any problem with how he leads.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Post of the year candidate. :rolleyes:

Ah yes the Superstar can't do no wrong.

You know its funny when the Tv networks try to time their intermission show for as long as a players shift

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
The Oilers are a more dominant team when Leon is on his game. That's because McDavid is always on his game and Leon is hit or miss.

So I think its safe to say that Leon controls the fate of the Oilers more than McDavid.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Ah yes the Superstar can't do no wrong.

You know its funny when the Tv networks try to time their intermission show for as long as a players shift
Let’s not get ridiculous here. Draisaitl obviously isn’t perfect as no man is. But he brings a hell of a lot more good than bad to this team. Some of the “fans” on here don’t deserve this player. I can’t wait until he’s gone in three years and people are crying about losing him. That’s what a certain portion of this fanbase deserves.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Why the f*** does this fanbase feel the need to make it a competition between the two best players to play for this team since Messier? Does it really matter whose slightly better this week as long as they're both playing like monsters for our team? There's a high likelihood they finish top 2 in NHL scoring again.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I personally like watching his temper tantrums on the ice.

The awesome no look passes to the other team

Oh the 3 minute shifts and being to gassed to play in the defensive zone

yeah he aint a leader
He gets on his horse when his dads in the house. I think he’s a much more mature player now. He’s a pleasure to watch most of the time now.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Let’s not get ridiculous here. Draisaitl obviously isn’t perfect as no man is. But he brings a hell of a lot more good than bad to this team. Some of the “fans” on here don’t deserve this player. I can’t wait until he’s gone in three years and people are crying about losing him. That’s what a certain portion of this fanbase deserves.
Deserve him lmfao

Why the f*** does this fanbase feel the need to make it a competition between the two best players to play for this team since Messier? Does it really matter whose slightly better this week as long as they're both playing like monsters for our team? There's a high likelihood they finish top 2 in NHL scoring again.

Well if you read the thread title it states that Draisaitl is the Captain when in fact he is not

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Deserve him lmfao

Well if you read the thread title it states that Draisaitl is the Captain when in fact he is not
I'm guessing that you prefer a good, ol' hardworking Canadian boy who runs around and hits people? That's your prerogative, but, at the same time, a player like Draisaitl is miles more valuable than a Josh Archibald type or whatever your type of player is.

Temper tantrums on the ice? Is this something you've seen yourself or just parroted from the lazy media narratives and their "bad body language" cliche for European players? The "no look" passes aren't ideal, but, at the same time, maybe that's his way of creating something out of nothing. And I don't think he's ever played a three-minute shift but if he has, that's some seriously impressive cardio.

Draisaitl isn't perfect. Nobody is. Even McDavid is subject to the occasional error. But you hear nary a peep when the Golden Boy, Our Lord and Saviour is late to a back check or leaves the zone early. But if Draisaitl does the same thing, you get 3 pages of "Drai is drunk; Drai is hungover; Drai is crap today; Drai is garbage...etc." So why isn't McDavid held to the same standard? You say that a superstar is susceptible to criticism, as he is, but McDavid gets a pass while Draisaitl gets lambasted for literally every microscopic error that he makes.

Now, back to the topic at hand. I think McDavid is rightfully the captain of the team. But that shouldn't give people an excuse to push their hateful narrative about a player that's an elite superstar in his own right and deserves a hell of a lot more respect than he gets from some members of this fanbase.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'm guessing that you prefer a good, ol' hardworking Canadian boy who runs around and hits people? That's your prerogative, but, at the same time, a player like Draisaitl is miles more valuable than a Josh Archibald type or whatever your type of player is.

Temper tantrums on the ice? Is this something you've seen yourself or just parroted from the lazy media narratives and their "bad body language" cliche for European players? The "no look" passes aren't ideal, but, at the same time, maybe that's his way of creating something out of nothing. And I don't think he's ever played a three-minute shift but if he has, that's some seriously impressive cardio.

Draisaitl isn't perfect. Nobody is. Even McDavid is subject to the occasional error. But you hear nary a peep when the Golden Boy, Our Lord and Saviour is late to a back check or leaves the zone early. But if Draisaitl does the same thing, you get 3 pages of "Drai is drunk; Drai is hungover; Drai is crap today; Drai is garbage...etc." So why isn't McDavid held to the same standard? You say that a superstar is susceptible to criticism, as he is, but McDavid gets a pass while Draisaitl gets lambasted for literally every microscopic error that he makes.

Now, back to the topic at hand. I think McDavid is rightfully the captain of the team. But that shouldn't give people an excuse to push their hateful narrative about a player that's an elite superstar in his own right and deserves a hell of a lot more respect than he gets from some members of this fanbase.

You must have a lot of conversation in your head where you make up scenarios. Tough life you must live

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
You must have a lot of conversation in your head where you make up scenarios. Tough life you must live
Your articulation truly impresses me! The way in which you thoroughly addressed all of the points of my post absolutely blows my mind! Let me guess, you're a law professor? Your intellect is just on another level.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

yeah he aint a leader
Yeah, as opposed to floating around collecting cheques like 11/12ths of our forwards during the decade of darkness.

Reactions: Duke74

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
What a terrible title for a thread. Make it a Draisaitl discussion thread and post your thesis inside. Or better yet post this inside an already created discussion on Drai. Mods should combine it

Reactions: rboomercat90

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
JFC, keep this crap on the mains. The Oilers are lucky to have Drai and McDavid who both lead in different ways. Debate leadership in either one of their individual threads if you want, but clearly there's no leadership debate for the Oilers themselves. This isn't Winnipeg, the room is tight. Mods please lock this thread up or merge it with the Draisaitl thread.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

yeah he aint a leader
it's funny because those first three statements could be used to describe Gretzky as well.

Draisaitl is ultra-competitive, and ultra-creative. so if you want someone driven to win, who puts up 50+ goals and 100+ points a season, you're gonna get some "tantrums" some bad passes and long shifts...because he's trying to win.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
While this is usually true 9/10 times its also accurate that Drai has been largely ordinary this season in 5 on 5 play. Its a disturbing trend that his scoring and offense is so PP predicated now. Not what I want to be seeing now. Very rarely now Drai makes an energy drive type play during EV. Drai indeed seems to have scouted OV pre Trotz standing straight up watching the play even on the PP.

The season is early but Drai EV has been underwhelming. Sure a strange time for the thread to be made as McD is carrying the club and then some.

So typical.

HFOilers board creating controversy where there is absolutely none.
In fairness the OP doesn't reflect the board and I've never seen the OP here before making this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad