Draft Updates by Text

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I've done this the last few years, and people seem to like it, so I thought I'd offer it again.

There are a lot of ways to get draft information if you're away from the computer, including Twitter, although you can't really control what gets sent to you.

With text updates, you can let me know what you'd like to receive texts about (all picks, trades, both, or just whatever happens involving certain teams).

It works using email-to-text (SMS gateway). I send an email to an address that incorporates your cell number, and it should up on your phone a few seconds later.

They usually seem to work pretty well, and some people would even reply to the updates with their comments on the pick, trade, etc., which was pretty cool to read.

In the three years or so that I've done this, I've never heard of anyone being charged for receiving the updates, although I can't make any promises. Be prepared to be charged text message rates to be safe. It seems to work with almost all carriers in the US and Canada. Unfortunately, I don't believe it works in Norway, Sweden, or Finland. but it might. I've never tried with any other country, but we can always test to make sure.

If you're going to be away from the computer or TV this weekend and want to keep up with everything that's going on, just send a PM including cell number, carrier, and the info you'd like to receive. After you sign up I will send a test update to see if it works. As with every year, all information is deleted the minute the draft is over, so you can be sure it's safe.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
For those who signed up, you've been sent a test message. You can try replying to the text, or PM me on here to confirm the message worked. Thanks.

MortUWary

Registered Loser
Jul 19, 2007
Are you doing this solely for the picks or will you be including any trades made on the draft floor, as well? Is it too late for me to sign up? Either way, I think it's mighty excellent of you for doing this.

As per the last three years, I have an annual Dinner Function, which is always scheduled for the night of the 1st Round. Fortunately, this is the last year of my involvement, so I should be free for the 2012 First Round!

Pinchy

Oct 19, 2008
What country are you based out of...I think I get charged for incoming US texts...

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
What country are you based out of...I think I get charged for incoming US texts...

I'll be sending from Canada but it's sent from an email address so I'm certain that it shouldn't matter.

For those who signed up I will be sending a test message after work this afternoon.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Thanks Man.. Kept me up to date.. After i got home, you were like seconds behind the announcement to send the text.. Fast as **** yo.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I thought I'd bump this. Pretty much the same situation as last year. PM if interested.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Really like the idea, as last year I was stuck in another city and busy with work- so frustrating. I'm going to wait until closer to the date though, I might just take the day off since I have a bunch of banked holiday.

Analyzer*

As long as the person has unlimited texts they shouldn't get charged.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I currently seem to be having a problem with Rogers subscribers. I know Rogers has a strange email-to-SMS system, as they may want you to subscribe to a certain service to get the messages. I don't think anyone had a problem with that last year, but for some reason my test messages don't seem to be getting through to Rogers subscribers. It might be a temporary issue, I'm not sure, so I'll keep trying to send test messages every once in a while.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I currently seem to be having a problem with Rogers subscribers. I know Rogers has a strange email-to-SMS system, as they may want you to subscribe to a certain service to get the messages. I don't think anyone had a problem with that last year, but for some reason my test messages don't seem to be getting through to Rogers subscribers. It might be a temporary issue, I'm not sure, so I'll keep trying to send test messages every once in a while.
Rogers seems to be working again now, so hopefully it stays that way.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
You're a pretty nice guy to go out of your way like this
Well thanks, but it's really no trouble. I'm sitting there watching the draft anyway, so it doesn't hurt to type out an email every time a pick or trade is made.

I just know if I couldn't watch it I'd want to know what was going on too!

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
Well thanks, but it's really no trouble. I'm sitting there watching the draft anyway, so it doesn't hurt to type out an email every time a pick or trade is made.

I just know if I couldn't watch it I'd want to know what was going on too!
Good heart. Keep it up!

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
For those wondering about day 2:

It gets pretty hectic, but if there's a team or two you'd like updates for, I'd be happy to give it a shot.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I've re-sent test messages to those who haven't confirmed yet. If I don't hear from you by tomorrow night I'll PM to check my info.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Last night for those who want to sign up! Only a limited window tomorrow to do it, as I work earlier in the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad