Draft pick for Chiarelli?

McBdayz15

Sep 21, 2007
Edmonton
I'm just wondering if anyone can remember what year the Oilers decided to give Boston their second rounder.. It was supposed to be 2016 or 2017 but have they actually decided on a year yet? Sorry if this was posted else where .. I looked around and couldn't find it anywhere!

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Any time over the next three seasons was my understanding.
I believe that goes for the third round pick the Oilers owe the Sharks for hiring McLellan too.

Bettman is on record as saying that the Oilers are going to owe the picks even if the rule is changed before the picks are handed over.

Anyone hear clarification if it has to be the Oilers own picks? I recall there being some suggestion that the wording was vague and the Oiler may be able to give up a pick they have acquired from another team in trade rather than their own. Doesn't sound very likely, but ...

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
I believe that goes for the third round pick the Oilers owe the Sharks for hiring McLellan too.

Bettman is on record as saying that the Oilers are going to owe the picks even if the rule is changed before the picks are handed over.

Anyone hear clarification if it has to be the Oilers own picks? I recall there being some suggestion that the wording was vague and the Oiler may be able to give up a pick they have acquired from another team in trade rather than their own. Doesn't sound very likely, but ...
The Oilers already gave San Jose a 3rd round pick last draft. It does not have to the Oilers own pick as they gave The Blues 3rd round pick from the Perron trade.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I have never seen clarification but I believe it is any second round pick. Given that the Oilers would be smart to try and turn an early 3rd into a second. The cost of going from 64 to 60 should not be that much.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
All i know is that the rule is crap. If the coach/GM gets fired there should be no compensation rewarded. These people are out of a job and have been dismissed by the organization dont feel like they have any ties to the person thus no reward. Just doesn't make sense to me

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
All i know is that the rule is crap. If the coach/GM gets fired there should be no compensation rewarded. These people are out of a job and have been dismissed by the organization dont feel like they have any ties to the person thus no reward. Just doesn't make sense to me

The rule has already been changed and no compensation is now being awarded for hiring of coaches or executives. Unfortunately, any picks resulting from the old rule are still owed. The Oilers will have to give Boston a second round pick this year or next. I suspect they will wait til next year, as they are likely to have a high second rounder this year, unless they acquire a second rounder at the deadline from a playoff team.

They also don't have to declare it early so the smart play may be to trade down in the second round during the draft and acquire an additional pick somewhere in the draft. Then send the later second rounder to Boston during the draft.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
A second round pick? That's ludicrous. Hopefully that second round pick doesn't amount to anything for Boston or else we will never hear the end if it

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
Jultz for a 2nd? :sarcasm:

Clendening replaces Jultz; PC pays of the Brooons ransom demand and reduces salary... that's some genius work right there.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The Oilers already gave San Jose a 3rd round pick last draft. It does not have to the Oilers own pick as they gave The Blues 3rd round pick from the Perron trade.
I have never seen clarification but I believe it is any second round pick. Given that the Oilers would be smart to try and turn an early 3rd into a second. The cost of going from 64 to 60 should not be that much.
Thanks guys. Safe to say the Oilers won't be giving up their pick this year? :sarcasm:
I think its actually worse than that isn't it?
My understanding is that by hiring Chiarelli the Oilers helped the Bruins out because the Bs were able to escape the rest of what they owed Chia on his contract. So actually the Oilers hired a guy who was fired, saved his former employers money, and still have to give up a second rounder.

When the NHL big brains sit around in a room determining the rules, how is it possible that they all thought this was a fair rule to implement?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The rule has already been changed and no compensation is now being awarded for hiring of coaches or executives. Unfortunately, any picks resulting from the old rule are still owed. The Oilers will have to give Boston a second round pick this year or next. I suspect they will wait til next year, as they are likely to have a high second rounder this year, unless they acquire a second rounder at the deadline from a playoff team.

They also don't have to declare it early so the smart play may be to trade down in the second round during the draft and acquire an additional pick somewhere in the draft. Then send the later second rounder to Boston during the draft.

Ya, and it's too bad. It actually was a smart rule to implement. They just overlooked the most obvious exception that needed to be added

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think we're allowed to give them any 2nd. It doesn't have to be our own. The 3rd we gave SJ was one we got from St.Louis

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Just hold out on giving away the pick until the league changes their mind about it.

That's what the Devils did after the whole Kovalchuk fiasco and it worked out for them.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Edmonton should have just stuck it to San Jose and traded the St.Louis pick to Chicago for their 3rd round pick (last in the third round) and future considerations.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Just hold out on giving away the pick until the league changes their mind about it.

That's what the Devils did after the whole Kovalchuk fiasco and it worked out for them.

Well, that actually backfired. If they gave up the Matteau pick, they could have had Fiala, Perlini, Larkin, Sanheim, etc. Instead, they got Quenneville. However, in our case I agree. Make a huge stink about it, until the league gives a compensatory pick at the end of the 2nd

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I see Chiarelli making the Bruins wait as long as possible and attempt to give them a pick as close to the end of the second as possible. Unless we win the cup next year and can give up 60th overall.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
It has to be your own pick, however, if the other team agrees to something else than that is fine. Last year SJ agreed to take the St. Louis pick as Edmonton had traded theirs away. Obviously they liked someone in that range.

Boston could be ****** bags and stick firm to Oilers pick. It must be given up in either 2016 or 2017.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It has to be your own pick, however, if the other team agrees to something else than that is fine. Last year SJ agreed to take the St. Louis pick as Edmonton had traded theirs away. Obviously they liked someone in that range.

Boston could be ****** bags and stick firm to Oilers pick. It must be given up in either 2016 or 2017.

link?

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
It's complete BS that we still need to pay that. They realized it was a stupid rule and corrected it. I understand we can't get our pick back from SJ, but any picks owed as a result of that ridiculous rule should be written off IMO.

And that whole thing with the Devils - how the hell does that even happen?

NHL: "OK Lou, time to cough up that 1st rounder"
Lou: "No"
NHL: "Alrighty then...have a good day"

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton

An interesting example arose in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft where the Edmonton Oilers owed a 3rd round pick to the San Jose Sharks for the signing of head coach Todd McLellan. The Oilers did not have their own 2015 3rd round pick (previously traded to Anaheim), and did not have a pick higher in the 3rd round to forfeit (their pick was #3 in the 3rd round). As a result, the Oilers could not elect to forfeit their 2015 3rd round draft pick, so the Central Registry encumbered their 2016 3rd round pick, assigning it to San Jose. However, Edmonton did have a later 3rd round pick, 2015 STL 3, acquired in a previous trade. The pick was #26 in the round, so much later than the Oilers' selection, but the Sharks had interest in the pick. The Sharks and Oilers came to an agreement to essentially trade the encumbered 2016 EDM 3 back to Edmonton in exchange for 2015 STL 3. The pick provided to San Jose did not technically meet the conditions of the personnel compensation rules, but was a satisfactory resolution for both sides.

http://www.generalfanager.com/cba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad