Draft on 7/30? And what about TV in the states?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
On 640am they are saying the draft will be held in Ottawa on the 30th no instead of the 21st (a Thursday) which makes sense.

Now, what about TV? We know for sure it won't be on ESPN here.....I hope and pray the NHL isn't stupid enough to not televise it. Hopefully they can kick off their NBC contract with the draft plus a special talking about the rule changes, interviews with NHL stars getting their comments, etc.

rabi

Feb 27, 2002
Lancaster, NY
Visit site
Beauty said:
On 640am they are saying the draft will be held in Ottawa on the 30th no instead of the 21st (a Thursday) which makes sense.

Now, what about TV? We know for sure it won't be on ESPN here.....I hope and pray the NHL isn't stupid enough to not televise it. Hopefully they can kick off their NBC contract with the draft plus a special talking about the rule changes, interviews with NHL stars getting their comments, etc.

i never read anywhere where it said it would be held on the 21st...

Now, the draft LOTTERY, that's another story...

Crows*

I think you're confusing the draft lottery with the actual draft.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I would think ESPNews might cover the draft, or at least the first round or two. They're always picking up stuff like that

kingbrath

Jul 15, 2002
Calgary, AB
Visit site
Beauty said:

i never read anywhere where it said it would be held on the 21st...

Now, the draft lottery, that's another story...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kritter471 said:
I would think ESPNews might cover the draft, or at least the first round or two. They're always picking up stuff like that

ESPN2 always did that.

NBC would never pick up the draft. The NFL draft hasn't even been on a national network

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Beauty said:

This really didn't need another thread. I already addressed this for you is in the other thread; the draft was never going to be on the 21st, it's the lottery to determine the draft order that is on that day.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
I wonder if TNT is still interested in the NHL, especially since the NBA lockout never materialized?

If ESPN does decide to broadcast NHL games, I'm willing to bet that the deal will be similar to the deal the NHL signed with NBC.

The NHL would be better served if they didn't return to ESPN. ESPN started to treat them like a redheaded stepchild once ESPN/ABC got the main NBA contract. Considering how much of a staple the NHL was on ESPN in the 1990s, it was a slap in the face. I'd honestly rather see the NHL on Spike TV than I would on ESPN or ESPN2.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
incawg said:
This really didn't need another thread. I already addressed this for you is in the other thread; the draft was never going to be on the 21st, it's the lottery to determine the draft order that is on that day.

The other thread didn't go through when I posted it.

And yes, I was confusing the lottery date and draft date.

But the important question remains - who will cover the draft on TV in the states?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Im pretty sure they will have a live video feed on NHL.com where people in the States can watch the lottery live. Plus from what im hearing (tsn) the Lottery will be done the same time the CBA is ratified and announced in the PC..so im sure media will be there. ESPN will have to be at that.

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Anyone know if it will be open to the public? I was planning on going to the original one and I'd like to attend this one.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Apparently the lottery will be the same time as the BIG news conference next week.

As per the draft, im sure TSN, RDS, The Score, or Sportsnet will carry it, that is for sure.

drbill28

Feb 25, 2003
Pomfret Center, CT
Visit site
I doubt ESPN1 or 2 itself would pick it up directly. My bet they would just give us periodic updates. If there's a TV deal by then maybe, but not before. I'll bet there will be some form of feed on nhl.com or maybe by luck TSN or someone up there decides to give us a live feed because they know the situation would be like down here.

Cwood2

Feb 6, 2004
I think you might see ESPNews pick it up. That would make a lot of sense. They're always showing press-conferences, etc. that aren't picked up by other major networks, the draft will probably fall into that scenario. They might be able to work the draft lottery in somewhere on ESPN also (ESPN2, ESPNnews). The lottery is really the most intriguing thing that's happened in hockey in quite some time and probably the most intriguing lottery in the history of pro sports considering the fact that all teams are involved and the best player in a decade is the prize.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
I don't see ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNEWS have round by round draft coverage cause ESPN pulled out of their contract. Maybe NBC. My question is what french channel would cover it in Quebec? In Lewiston, Me we have two french channels because most peoples families moved from Quebec to Lewiston 100 years ago. I think we get CBC and CHLT I think.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The Lottery draft will be shown live by TSN. I think the actual draft will be covered by TSN to the tune of 4 or 5 hours

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If the draft is a mid-day event I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN 2 or ESPNEWS picked it up. First round only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad