Draft Lottery

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Didn't see a thread on this so mods if I missed it feel free to delete. Below and courtesy of tankathon.com are our odds:

1st pick: 10.3%
2nd pick: 10.3%
3rd pick: 10.1%
4th pick: 11.9%
5th pick: 39.3%
6th pick: 18.1%

This isn't a year where being in the top slot or two is crucial, as you have a group of very good players that are relatively close in rankings. But I'm still hoping for a first pick win! :yo:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Seeing how the top picks are relatively even, what are everybody's thoughts on trading down if we end up moving up? Something like a 2nd coming back from a team 2-3 slots back? If we draft first is the publicity too good to pass up if we can get more and are still guaranteed our guy at no.2-4?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Teams will have nearly two months after lottery before entry draft.

Yesterday (or so), the NHL CSB final rankings released.

As of "today", Vegas needs "everything", excluding the single player under contract.

They'll probably need to come up with their own BPA draft list. There is no McDavid-type top pick. While trading down may add another draft pick or player or prospect, there may not be a lot of trading at the draft.

(Teams may be giving a number of picks as part of FC trades related to expansion draft. So some thought is needed there too.)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Seeing how the top picks are relatively even, what are everybody's thoughts on trading down if we end up moving up? Something like a 2nd coming back from a team 2-3 slots back? If we draft first is the publicity too good to pass up if we can get more and are still guaranteed our guy at no.2-4?

My guess is Vegas is going to already get tons of draft picks after the expansion draft, whether it's either team X gives Vegas a pick for drafted player A or Team Y gives Vegas a draft pick not to draft(or maybe even in certain cases with bad contract to draft) Player B. Depending how Vegas plays it's cards I can see them getting as much as 10 extra picks over the next few years

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
My guess is Vegas is going to already get tons of draft picks after the expansion draft, whether it's either team X gives Vegas a pick for drafted player A or Team Y gives Vegas a draft pick not to draft(or maybe even in certain cases with bad contract to draft) Player B. Depending how Vegas plays it's cards I can see them getting as much as 10 extra picks over the next few years

Agreed. I don't think they're going to load up high picks, but they'll get some extra mid to late picks for passing over or flipping players which will greatly benefit their organizational depth. McPhee made it clear they were ready to deal at the owners' meetings.

Forwards are going to be the key for them out the gate. They need everything, of course, in the draft, but looking at the expac draft lists the starting players on the big club will be better and deeper on defense. How they solve the forwards is going to be key.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Forwards are going to be the key for them out the gate. They need everything, of course, in the draft, but looking at the expac draft lists the starting players on the big club will be better and deeper on defense. How they solve the forwards is going to be key.

My 2 cents is they really won't be able to find much in terms of top 6 forwards in the expansion draft, so they probably will have to pick up 2-3 UFAs, that being said they can also pick up a few "bad contracts(but still decent players)" that being said I would only accept teams bad contracts if the team offers me something to take that player(unless you have a case like Bobby Ryan where the guy will be just to good not to take).

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
I think they need to package picks in 2017 draft and move up to have 3 picks in first two rounds, because you will not find great players after round 2 in this draft.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's relatively easy to find NHL caliber players in 1st, or even 2nd. Where the scouts really earn their paycheck is in the late rounds.

Sharks are one of the top teams in NHL who have gotten a lot of value out of late round picks. But it takes a great talent evaluator. Don't count out a draft class until ~5 years later.

Nabokov 9th. Pavelski 6th. Etc.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think they need to package picks in 2017 draft and move up to have 3 picks in first two rounds, because you will not find great players after round 2 in this draft.

As I said I think they can pick up enough picks in the first 3 rounds over the next 2 years just by wheeling and dealing their expansion picks.

I know as an Islanders fan I would offer our first 15th basically to take somebody off our roster that has no value to us.

Last edited:

Ship It To Vegas

Apr 14, 2017
This draft might be weak in the top 5 but I still think there is lots of guys in the first 2 rounds that project as top 6 forwards/top4 d. Loading up on picks this year and next will be crucial to being competive in 5 years.
I see ton of whl being in bc and I don't feel the lottery is important this year seeing how level the draft class is in top 10. Right now if we win lottery I would trade down to 5ish and get extra assets and take Cody glass over Nolan Patrick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad