Draft Lottery rule: max 1 top2 pick in 6-7 years

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
So around what high pick did the Bruins build their cup winning team?
#45, #63, #50, #71, UFA, UFA, trade, UFA, ..... you know, all the usual suspects that everyone should really be focused on teams not being able to use.

There was also a #6 that was used later to get #2, and neither one really played a huge part in winning the Cup - but those picks existed, so they still count. Oh, and there was also a #1 many years ago, but he got shipped for 3 pieces which were gone by the time the Bruins won the Cup - but again, it existed so it counts.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I really love all the whining about the lottery. Lottery should stay and I said that before my team ever benefitted from it.

Reactions: CincoHolio

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I like the way Brain Burke layed it out.
Only 5 teams. The rest pick as they finish.
If you get the 1st pick, you can't draft 1st overall for 3 seasons.
As it stands, NJ has had the top pick 2 of the last 3 years. They could do it again next year and everyone would be cool about it, right?

No way should a team who missed the playoff by one point get a chance at the top pick. Imagine if the Cup champ loses their goalie in January and misses the playoffs by a point, then wins the lotto[or top 3 pick]. Next season, they win the cup again with a healthy team. How is that fair to the teams that need quality players?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
How about make a draw that 3 teams have an equal shot to win, and whoever gets the winning spots basically gets 10 points subtracted from their total points(so say a team finishes with 80 points, 80 - 10 = 70).

In this scenario NJ would have picked 1st, Col 2nd, NYR 3rd, LA 4th, Detroit 5th and Chicago 6th

AnomX

Oct 25, 2013
To OP. Masterful troll job putting laine ahead of Matthews when you put the 1st OA first every other year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mud the ACAS

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
There’s nothing wrong with the current system. You realize that winning the lottery is luck. If you have a 20% chance and win multiple times you are beating the odds. Some people win more on scratch off than others.

The change isn’t needed.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
#45, #63, #50, #71, UFA, UFA, trade, UFA, ..... you know, all the usual suspects that everyone should really be focused on teams not being able to use.

What do those players have to do with tanking and the draft lottery?
I don't think you have to tank in order to get a mid 2nd-round-pick.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The system is fine. If it were me though, I would give the worst team a 53.125% chance to win, second worst 25%, third worst 12.5%, fourth worst 6.25%, and 5th worst 3.125%.

Whoever wins gets taken out and you throw in the next 5 for 2nd overall and repeat. If you drop at least 3 slots you automatically win that position.

This would still help struggling teams to arm themselves with talented prospects but deter teams from tanking.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
As it stands, NJ has had the top pick 2 of the last 3 years. They could do it again next year and everyone would be cool about it, right?

No way should a team who missed the playoff by one point get a chance at the top pick. Imagine if the Cup champ loses their goalie in January and misses the playoffs by a point, then wins the lotto[or top 3 pick]. Next season, they win the cup again with a healthy team. How is that fair to the teams that need quality players?
Why not? Why should a team who pretty much gave up on the season be rewarded? Reward teams for staying competitive to the end, which is the spirit of sports. It is a lottery and when you have results like we did this year it reinforces that being a terrible team is not going to guarantee you any lotto spot. Go back and read about the end of the season the year the Penguins drafted Lemieux.

Reactions: CincoHolio

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
How about make a draw that 3 teams have an equal shot to win, and whoever gets the winning spots basically gets 10 points subtracted from their total points(so say a team finishes with 80 points, 80 - 10 = 70).

In this scenario NJ would have picked 1st, Col 2nd, NYR 3rd, LA 4th, Detroit 5th and Chicago 6th
How about we have a full system. The four teams to play in the conference finals meet at a public park and have an elementary school style field day. The winner then competes against the teams who lost in the first 2 rounds. The winner of that, then has a similar competition with all the non-play-off teams. The order in which they finish in field day determines the draft order.

This would give every team a shot, but the better teams have to compete more and are more likely to lose out. But if the Cup Champ can win 3 consecutive Field Day competitions, they should be rewarded.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
What do those players have to do with tanking and the draft lottery?
Go back and read the post I responded to, and what it was answering. Then see if you can put it in the right context.

If not, ask again and I'll explain it.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The Devils went to the playoffs in between, so done forget about that. But to your question, yeah - if they pick #1 again, I'm fine with it. If they pick #1 overall 10 years in a row, I'm fine with that too - because it would underscore that high drafty picks guarantee nothing.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I've pretty much had it with the current lottery.

Instead of parity, we are getting ridiculous results to only a few teams (whatever team Hall is playing for)

I'm all for restricting the "luck component", for example to put some rules to cut out the ridiculously lucky results Edm+Njd are getting.

Examples:

-Max 1 Top2 pick in 6-7 years
-Max 2 Top5 picks in a row
-Max 4 years in a row in the top10

You wouldn't have to have that many rules if it gets complicated, even the first one alone would be a good start to begin with.

View attachment 211931

There is a huge difference in picking in the top2 vs 5th-10th, but there isn't that huge of a difference between the 8th and the 16th pick, so it's most important to restrict the top picks.

There have been multiple occasions in which the top2 picks have been almost guaranteed franchise cornerstones / 1a-1b -type of picks, but there has almost never been 3 sure superstars in the top3 of any draft.

1987: Turgeon, Shanahan
1988: Modano, Linden
1990: Nolan, Jagr
1992: Hamrlik, Yashin
1993: Daigle, Pronger
1997: Thornton, Marleau
2001: Kovalchuk, Spezza
2004: Ovechkin, Malkin
2008: Stamkos, Doughty
2009: Tavares, Hedman
2010: Tyler, Taylor
2013: MacKinnon, Barkov
2015: McDavid, Eichel
2016: Laine, Matthews
2019: Hughes, Kakko

This is why I'd say the most important rule would be to limit the top2 picks going to the same teams.

At 3rd-10th overall or something like that there is almost never a sure-fire superstar coming your way.
Guess your team didn't get a good pick?

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
The system is fine. I think it is a bad idea to add a bunch of convoluted rules. If anything, tweek the odds to give the bottom 5 a better chance to win a lottery position.

Last place: 30%
2nd last: 20%
3rd last: 15%
4th last: 10%
5th last: 7%
6th last: 5%
7th last: 4%
8th last: 2.5%
9th last: 2%
10th last:1.5%
11th last: 1%
12th last:0.8%
13th last: 0.6%
14th last: 0.4%
15th last: 0.2%

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Lottery only for the bottom 5 teams only anybody? Yes, no?
That just encourages more teams to tank to try to get into the bottom 5. Again, a big part of the problem is that teams on the bubble don’t really have chance to win and are unlikely to get a player that changes that. If you are a bubble team in that type of system the only real way forward is to tank because it’s the only way to have good chance to add the elite player you need.

Reactions: patnyrnyg

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
No there isn't. There is only one way. Draft a franchise corner stone, surround them with complementary talent, blow it up and start again.
See: Chicago, L.A., Pittsburgh, Boston.
Don't See: Edmonton

except Boston signed their franchise cornerstone as an FA...

then built the team through shrewd trades (Recchi, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Horton, Ference, Rask)
and 2nd/3rd round picks (Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Lucic)
and struck gold on the FA scrapheap in Thomas

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
No there isn't. There is only one way. Draft a franchise corner stone, surround them with complementary talent, blow it up and start again.
See: Chicago, L.A., Pittsburgh, Boston.
Don't See: Edmonton

then built the team through shrewd trades (Recchi, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Horton, Ference, Rask)

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Of the 10 highest scoring players in the NHL over the last 3 years, 5 were first overall picks, 7 were picked in the top 5. There is more luck involved in getting an elite center like Bergeron in the second round than there is in winning the lottery. Even getting an elite scoring W outside the top 10 picks involves a lot of luck and Boston has 2.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Only works if you can skip garbage drafts and is it original teams or does trading the pick get rid of your six year rules for a team that hasn't drafted that high yet

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

ok, I'll slow it down for you

the...bruins...didnt...draft...their...franchise...cornerstone...they...signed...Chara...as...an...FA

second off, equating the Bruins build to the Pens, Hawks and Kings is completely disingenuous and factually incorrect.

Penguins used picks: 1, 1, 2, 2 (MAF, Crosby, Staal, Malkin)
Hawks used picks: 1, 3 (Kane, Toews)
Kings used picks: 2, 11, 13 (Kopitar, Doughty, Brown)
Bruins used picks: 45, 50, 63, 71 (Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Marchand)

unlike the other 3, the Bruins were not built on sucking for years and stocking high picks. They were built more like the Red Wings with smart drafting, key FA signings and trades to fill out the depth.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad