Draft lottery changes coming: 2015 odds tweaked, 2016 top three spots drawn

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Eichel was born late October, '96.

Anyone feel free to correct me, but I don't think he can go to the AHL until after the '16-17 season starts.

So, post-'15-draft, he has 1 season of BU, or CHL, or similar, if he's not in the NHL.

AHL age restrictions only apply to players drafted out of the CHL/Junior A/etc. Players drafted out of the USHL, NCAA, or European leagues can play in the AHL immediately. A player can even get drafted out of somewhere other than the CHL, play in the CHL in his post-draft year, and then play his second post-draft season, as a 19 year old, in the AHL.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Eichel was born late October, '96.

Anyone feel free to correct me, but I don't think he can go to the AHL until after the '16-17 season starts.

So, post-'15-draft, he has 1 season of BU, or CHL, or similar, if he's not in the NHL.

Nope.

The "NHL or juniors only, no AHL" rule only applies to players drafted out of the CHL. Players drafted from any other league are eligible for AHL right away. Since Eichel will be drafted out of the NCAA, this is no problem with him.

If Eichel leaves BU for the CHL this season (which he won't do), then that rule comes into play.

If Eichel plays the entire year in the NCAA, gets drafted, then goes to the CHL for a year, the rule still would not apply since he was drafted out of the NCAA.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
@Paxon and LDS / New Sabres Captain / Turkey Dikembe Mutumbo - thanks for the clarification, which is why I asked for the correction!!!

The knowledge of others is a big reason why I like this site.

@Husko => you are correct.

edit: Given that flexibility for players ~18-19yo who are not CHL-tracked, does it not seem advantageous, perhaps at least for elite American players, to consider the collegiate route, or the USHL. Far greater flexibility in their options if they are on the cusp of NHL caliber...??

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
@Paxon and LDS / New Sabres Captain / Turkey Dikembe Mutumbo - thanks for the clarification, which is why I asked for the correction!!!

edit: Given that flexibility for players ~18-19yo who are not CHL-tracked, does it not seem advantageous, perhaps at least for elite American players, to consider the collegiate route, or the USHL. Far greater flexibility in their options if they are on the cusp of NHL caliber...??

The problem is, at least historically, juniors has been considered the better route. Better competition, more games player, etc. College hockey is growing, though.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I think one reason why more players don't take advantage of the college route is that most players would have to get drafted out of the USHL. Only late birthdays play in the NCAA in their draft years, unless they accelerate their studies like Hanifin has done. The USHL is hands-down inferior to the CHL. Another reason is that the CHL is more heavily scouted and you're more likely to get drafted where or above where you deserve. The best American players usually get invites to the national dev team though, and I think that then college is a great route for most players.

The problem is, at least historically, juniors has been considered the better route. Better competition, more games player, etc. College hockey is growing, though.

College hockey has better competition, CHL has more games. CHL has more top-end talent, but the NCAA has older, stronger players, which is what makes it tougher competition, at least if you're in a good conference.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
AHL age restrictions only apply to players drafted out of the CHL/Junior A/etc. Players drafted out of the USHL, NCAA, or European leagues can play in the AHL immediately. A player can even get drafted out of somewhere other than the CHL, play in the CHL in his post-draft year, and then play his second post-draft season, as a 19 year old, in the AHL.

Not Jr A, just the CHL.

ZG was drafted out of the USHL (a Jr A league) and was able to play in the AHL right away.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not Jr A, just the CHL.

ZG was drafted out of the USHL (a Jr A league) and was able to play in the AHL right away.

I'm talking about Canadian Junior A, which is the second tier of Canadian juniors, to which I believe the restrictions apply, but perhaps not. I specifically said restrictions do not apply to players drafted out of the USHL. Maybe some people refer to the USHL as "Junior A" but I don't believe there is any sort of formal designation like that.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm talking about Canadian Junior A, which is the second tier of Canadian juniors, to which I believe the restrictions apply, but perhaps not. I specifically said restrictions do not apply to players drafted out of the USHL. Maybe some people refer to the USHL as "Junior A" but I don't believe there is any sort of formal designation like that.

It doesn't apply to leagues like the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL). They are a primary feeder to the NCAA.

Junior A in the US has tiers. Jr A Tier I is the USHL, Jr A Tier II is the NAHL, and there are a bunch of Jr A Tier III leagues.

http://www.usajuniorhockey.com/junior-leagues/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It applies to all of the CJHL leagues.

You won't find it said explicitly on the Internet, but it does.

I thought the agreement only applied to the top level CHL and NHL player rights until 0 or 4 full seasons.

So If the players come out of the level below that then go to the NCAAs and then is drafted the player could go to the NCAA for a yr then turn pro sign with the NHL club and play in the AHL teM at 19.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
It's not like your going to find any kids who can step into the AHL/NHL straight out of a CJ league anyways. I can't even think of anyone whose done it.. If they could step in right away they'd be playing major junior, it's just a feeder system to college.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.libertyballers.com/2014/10/3/6904707/lottery-reform-is-happening-because-hinkie

Hard to overstate degree of leaguewide displeasure with Sixers right now. Perhaps not entirely fair -- they're following rules -- but big.

— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) October 3, 2014
Under current rules, worst team has 25% chance at No. 1. Second-worst: 19.9%. Third-worst: 15.6%. Proposal would give 4 worst equal 12% odds

— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) October 3, 2014

The NBA is taking an interesting angle in the anti-tank movement.

Although, it still gives teams motivation to get to the bottom 4...

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
The only thing that creates is a potentially longer period of poor performance for teams that went through a period of ineptitude with their front office. The hope of a sell-off/tank is to acquire a talent capable of turning the team around. It's difficult to do this with an average team and a constant mid-round draft selection. (look at the Sabres pre-tank) It's not like the first time a team misses the playoffs or has a losing season they decide to give up and start over. At some point a team decides they are incapable of winning with the current roster and it's time to rebuild. Why penalize a team that's basically giving up for a season or two in hopes of contending for the next ten years? The ones that pay the biggest price are the fans. If a team can't be rewarded for sacrificing their season then it's harder for the fans to ride out a season or two of losing if there is no light at the end of the tunnel. The decreasing odds lottery still only gives the worst team the best chance of winning however they are more likely to not receive the top selection. At least they have the best chance and the fans have a little hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad