Draft Grades/Reviews

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Overall I think the Flyers had a good draft. Provorov and Konecny in Round One are awesome picks. I love the Kase and Marody picks. The Tomek pick I would like a lot more if they didn't take Sandstrom, and I would have preferred another skater in Round Seven.

I'd give them a B+. Probably would have been an A if they would have taken Ahl, Roy, Novak, or Warren in the 3rd instead of one of the goalies.

I would have preferred Rantanen to Provorov but I am in no way upset that they got him.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I don't mind the fact that we got Sandstrom and Tomek. Hextall was basically saying to expect two goalies out of this draft. The third is a reach, but could pay off in the long run. All 7th round picks are reaches anyway, better to try and hit a home run.

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
I give them a B+ total. first round A+ great pick ups. however, at 61 TOR took bracco if bracco winds up being better then konecny,it wasnt worth it to take him a i would never move up for a pick. i was disappointed to see names like, morrison,garland,ahl,timashov,korostolev,pilon,lindgren,desrocher etc
but hey i am not an NHL scout so what do i know. i do like kase and marody. next year the flyers will most likely take a forward with there pick.

Last edited:

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
I'll say A-. It was a great draft, obviously not perfect but very good. Getting both Provorov and Konecny in the first round is insane for where the picks were. Tomek was the goalie I wanted and Sandstrom seems like another good option. Kase also looks like he could amount to something. Dove-McFalls seems like a guy who works hard and can put up a few points so I don't mind it. Vorobyov is an unknown to me so I can't really judge him. Same with Fedotov but I also saw a quote saying that some scouts even might not know him so I do like Hextall being bold since it's the seventh round. I absolutely love the Marody pick though. I said before the draft if there's one guy I wanted in later rounds it was him. When I saw that he was a Flyers pick I got really excited because he's a really exciting player and I think that he could honestly be one of the biggest steals of this draft. So overall, I feel like Hextall is a genius. He makes quality picks and does what he has to do to get his guys and he'll also trade down if he feels like it's a good idea. I've been so impressed with Hextall so far and I feel as though he will continue to amaze us.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Have any of the mainstream sites released there drafts grades yet? Obviously they are pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but I'd still like to see.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I don't mind the fact that we got Sandstrom and Tomek. Hextall was basically saying to expect two goalies out of this draft. The third is a reach, but could pay off in the long run. All 7th round picks are reaches anyway, better to try and hit a home run.

thats what the rangers were thinking in the 2001 draft 7th rd, they went for a home run by picking some guy name henrik lunkquist

pucksandpups

Feb 18, 2015
Chicago, IL
B+
I was really hoping for a big winger with upside and a RHD in the draft. Obviously you can't draft for position but we did pass up Lindgren, Ahl, and Korostelev. I wish we would have taken a chance on one of them. I think we did great in round 1 and good in 3. The Konecny pick was an absolute steal. I wish we wouldn't have taken two goalies in the 3rd but they both have potential. I really don't know anything about any of the players we drafted after that.

Ideally I wanted Rantanen and to obtain a 2nd round pick, but I wont fault them for that. Obviously Provorov is a great choice and we don't know that they didn't try to get more picks. It's not Hexy's fault if no one wants to give us good draft picks for our garbage.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=831321&catid=771&navid=DL|PHI|home

Hextall's comment on Kase is odd to me. They had him higher and thought twice about drafting him because they already took a small guy in Konecny and finally he fell too far.

Given the amount of misses historically in the draft, you want to acquire as many assets as possible. If two small forward (or more) are in your lineup and playing well, who cares (see Tampa) and if you are concerned about that still, trade one once they have developed further.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=831321&catid=771&navid=DL|PHI|home

Hextall's comment on Kase is odd to me. They had him higher and thought twice about drafting him because they already took a small guy in Konecny and finally he fell too far.

Given the amount of misses historically in the draft, you want to acquire as many assets as possible. If two small forward (or more) are in your lineup and playing well, who cares (see Tampa) and if you are concerned about that still, trade one once they have developed further.

My thinking is that he was concerned not that it would be a problem if they both made the NHL, just that their size may prevent then from making it at all. Yes smaller players have success, but they in many cases face a tougher toad to success since they are often up against guys several inches taller and 30-40 pounds bigger (i.e. when you aren't an elite talent).

Agree or disagree, that is something you have to at least consider. If player A has a higher ceiling tgan player B, but player B is more likely than player A to reach that ceiling, I'm fine taking player B. Obviously if it is McDavid ceiling vs. Rinaldo ceiling you don't take that into account, but if it is closer you do.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I always thought draft grades a day after the draft were silly. These kids are 18. A lot can happen. That said I think when we look back on this draft in a few years we'll grade it based off of 3 questions.

1. Is Provorov a #1 defensemen?
2. Is Konecny a top 6 scorer?
3. Did they draft an NHL goalie?

When you have 9 picks and a third of them are goalies, its risky business, but they had to do it.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Have any of the mainstream sites released there drafts grades yet? Obviously they are pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but I'd still like to see.

Sports Illustrated gives the Flyers an A.

Philadelphia Flyers: A

An enviable haul on the first day, with Ivan Provorov (7) moving to the top of a deep pool of young defenders and heart-and-soul winger Travis Konecny providing excellent value at 24. Small, sure, but he could have gone top-10 if not for injuries suffered this season. Took three goalies on day two, including Felix Sandstrom (70) and Matej Tomek (90), addressing a clear organizational need. The Chris Pronger/Nik Grossman trade was the cherry on top of a near-perfect weekend.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/06/28/nhl-draft-eastern-conference-grades

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sports Illustrated gives the Flyers an A.

Philadelphia Flyers: A

An enviable haul on the first day, with Ivan Provorov (7) moving to the top of a deep pool of young defenders and heart-and-soul winger Travis Konecny providing excellent value at 24. Small, sure, but he could have gone top-10 if not for injuries suffered this season. Took three goalies on day two, including Felix Sandstrom (70) and Matej Tomek (90), addressing a clear organizational need. The Chris Pronger/Nik Grossman trade was the cherry on top of a near-perfect weekend.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/06/28/nhl-draft-eastern-conference-grades

Just in case others don't click on the link, the only Eastern team with a better ranking was Buffalo....due to Eichel and ROR.

Also, Pitt was D+, Rangers D and Wash C-. :)

SchennSational1022*

1 pick I disagreed with was McFalls over Austin Wagner/Parker Wotherspoon/Ryan Pilon, but enamored with the rest of the draft. Think we could potentially be looking at a heist in Kase in 3-4 years. Anybody know where he's playing next year?

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I thought you were allowed to post a certain amount of lines or something, if not no big deal.
Yeah, I don't know the exact details of the copyright, honestly.
1 pick I disagreed with was McFalls over Austin Wagner/Parker Wotherspoon/Ryan Pilon, but enamored with the rest of the draft. Think we could potentially be looking at a heist in Kase in 3-4 years. Anybody know where he's playing next year?
For Chomutov in the Czech Extraliga, I guess. He's their highest NHL draft pick now, if I'm not mistaken, too.

Last edited:

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
B+
Obviously a phenomenal 1st round (I was hoping for a Rantanen Juulsen/Roy combo which would have saved us a 2nd but This might be an even better combo)
I love our goalie prospects, otlutside of Vladar, I think we took the best guys in the draft. And getting Kase and Marody is phenomenal.
However, I would have preferred to take
Dergachyov or Ahl in the 3rd, definite top 6 potential and a safe bet they make it IMO. Cant believe we passed up on many openings to get them.

NJD28

Nov 28, 2010
Definitely an "A" when you factor in the Gagner trade. You ********.:sarcasm: Was hoping to see Shero all over that with Clowe as trade bait.

Gagner has talent, but gets knocked only because he's not living up to his draft hype. Can play any position and consistently gets his points. Best move of the draft.

Provorov and Konecny were solid picks.....both have potential to be steals and shouldn't have a huge risk factor. Even if they don't hit expectations, they should be solid players that can help you win.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Breaking it down to get my final grade here:

A+
Provorov
Konecny (moving up to get him was beautiful and will pay off)
Sandstrom
Kase
Marody

A
Dove-Mcfalls
Tomek

Dont know
Fedotov - dont think we really needed to reach for him when others were still around
Vorobyov - I know nothing about him and others were around that I liked

Because of my "don't know's" and I feel that some guys like Dergachyov, Blake Speers, Ahl, Wotherspoon, Novak, Forbacka-Karlsson among a few others were passed (or coulda been traded to get to) I will lower my overall grade by one notch.

Overall, I think i should go with an A. Hextall and the scouts did an amazing job and this has been the best overall draft that I've seen from the Flyers in a long time.

Sandstrom is going to be a stud!
Kase, Marody, Dove-Mcfalls are all potential steals.
Provorov and Konecny are obvious.
Tomek should be good too.

One guy that I cant believe wasn't drafted is Soy. I would look into him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad