Draft Grade: Early Opinion

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ok...does anyone not feel that his has been one of our best drafts?

I'm actually thinking that the top 3 kids are actually going to make it. I can't recall a single time in our draft history where I could say that.

I don't think it's a home run draft but solid. B/B+ type draft.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
First draft I can recall in a while that I legitimately like each of our picks and where they were taken. It's a weird feeling.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Solid logic behind each pick. Let's continue with that. Baby steps.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I must say, I was quite disappointed in it. I thought we would have been more active. Domi is a nice pickup, but wish we had done something!

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Domi, Dauphin, Laplante and Clifton are all exciting / intriguing.

I'm sure the average grade on hf right now is about an A-, but B+ or A- sounds right.

Now let's sit tight until 2017 to see how we did!

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I will go B+ at this stage, as we have actually taken a 2nd round pick with far better upside than what we have gotten in the past 3-4 drafts.

The lone d-man we picked seems fairly raw and seems like that was a slight reach. Everyone else appears to be set up for success as they go through their remaining junior/college years. Definitely one of the better drafts for us...

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I'd give it a solid B. I like this draft quite a bit. Admittedly I preferred Shinkaruk to Domi, but after the initial disappointment faded, I have settled in on Domi. And I'm a big fan of the Dauphin pick. Laplante is also a really interesting pick. I believe we left the draft with two players with top line potential.

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
B or B+

First draft ever the Coyotes did not select a European player. Last time the Coyotes first three selections were forwards was 2008 (Boedker, Tikhonov, Staal). Second year in a row the Coyotes have had two selections from the QMJHL.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm really glad to see Quebec getting back into the game. The province really lost a ton of steam in terms of prospect production. Now we needs the Czechs to get their acts together.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
It is weird, but I am not really upset with any pick ..

I really liked the first 3 picks, but surprisingly equally like the last 3 .

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
The brass sure doesn't shy away from players with potential medical red flags.
Gormley is asthmatic, Domi's diabetic and let's not forget Murphy's infirmiry adventures.
No one can question the desire and character of these young men when they've got these extra hurdles to overcome.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
In terms of my excitement to see these prospects develop, I would give it a A. On a more sensible hockey approach I would give it a B.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Just some further comments.

This was a draft about skill. Max Domi immediately becomes #1 or #2 in the entire organization in terms of puck skills. At worst he's #3 behind OEL and Rundblad.

I think this is the acid test for Rick Knickle. This should be the draft which we judge whether or not Knickle has the mustard for his position.

This year Knickle's defining advice/pick is the decision to move up to take Dauphin. Yes we had him in the first round. Redline also had one mock draft where they had a similar opinion.

Based on the write ups and what I've seen we've drafted an elite forward (better than Ray Whitney), promising 2nd line center (in the mold of Mike Ribeiro), aggitating 3rd line winger (another Burrows), hard hitting undersized D man (Keith Ballard), big G who will be a #1 in the top program in the WHL (possibly all of junior hockey) in Burke (another well... draw the bloodline yourself), and a big C who is going to have 4 years to develop at the NCAA level.

I like it I really do.

Also on display is the stated strategy of Maloney to draft Centers who can also play wing than take a winger who may not be able to play center. Very interesting.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
The brass sure doesn't shy away from players with potential medical red flags.
Gormley is asthmatic, Domi's diabetic and let's not forget Murphy's infirmiry adventures.
No one can question the desire and character of these young men when they've got these extra hurdles to overcome.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426739

Domi is celiac as well. The kid certainly won't have any bad dietary habits.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Here's something interesting: The Coyotes drafted only North American players this year. The last time this franchise went an entire draft without grabbing a European player was 1984.

Also, while this is the second time in six drafts the Coyotes took an OHL player with their first pick (Domi this year and Boedker in '08), you have to go back to 1998 to find the next one (Patrick DesRochers). Given how well represented OHL alumni are in the NHL, this seems odd to me.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
rewatched a London Nights Memorial Cup game along with the Gold Medal Team Canada versus Team USA game from the U18"s.

First off, Domi is a magician with the puck. He creates scoring chances and passing lanes out of nowhere. The biggest issue we are going to have with him is making sure our other forwards are prepared for that impossible pass. He just creates offense. I know I was in love with Horvat's game but Domi has much higher offensive upside. We could be talking franchise player here. He's got that much skill with the puck.

I really like Dauphin. It helps that Dauphin was easily the best player on the ice in that gold medal game. sneaky with the puck but drives to the net as well. He victimized our 5th rounder (Clifton) when he blew a tire trying to defend against Dauphin. I've seen more than one mock draft with Dauphin going as early as 20. If he's a second line player than the price we paid to move up was easily worth it.

Clifton had a goal in this game. Nice shot from the point. Need to watch this game again to see more of his hitting game.

Laplante is like a dog with a bone. He kills you with effort. If this kid can score look out.... He will be a fan favorite for his work effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad