Draft Day - Winners & Losers

member 116861

This is the message I get when I click on the link.

"You do not have permission to preview drafts."

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I tried to fix it, seems to work on my tablet. Let me know if you guys are still having problems.

Thanks!

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Thanks for the read Bender. Really appreciate the insight and info on the young kids you (as well as a few others here) provide.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Good read.

I have to say I think your way off with your oppinions of Barkov. Guy will be a player something like a Thorton/Kopitar. A first line center with great defensive and puck distribution skills.

Have to ask what makes you think he won't become a first line center?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Good read.

I have to say I think your way off with your oppinions of Barkov. Guy will be a player something like a Thorton/Kopitar. A first line center with great defensive and puck distribution skills.

Have to ask what makes you think he won't become a first line center?

It's all good everyone is entitled to their opinion.

For me, it's just that every time I've seen him play I've been underwhelmed with what I saw. In the past when something like this occurred, I would end up deferring to the consensus, figuring they'd seen that player more and perhaps I'd missed something and would end up getting burned. For better or worse I'm just trusting my instincts more and more rather than what other people think.

I realize I may end up looking like a giant jackass when it's all said and done but this isn't unlike when I ranked Adam Larsson 10th and Jonas Brodin (6th) ahead of him. Many scoffed and disagreed back then too and while it's still very early, that's starting to look pretty good.

Anyways, hopefully I'm wrong on this guy...I think the Panthers really need him to develop into a premiere player.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Time for a proper response:

I definitely disagree with TBL and Erne. Regardless of his talent, he's been dropping like a lead brick since last year. I can understand the thought he is going to be like Saad and prove the doubters wrong, but I'm not even sold yet on Saad tbh. These are the types of guys that get comfortable once they're not being pushed anymore. In the NHL there's nothing higher to drive you, once they make it and start looking around they get complacent, especially if they get a big contract.

If Erne were this amazing steal I'm fairly certain his coach and our VP would have drafted him instead of Bigras, unless Bigras was an even bigger steal (which not a ton of people are acting like).

So either the Avs had a better draft than TBL (which may or may not be true a few years from now, I really really like Drouin) or neither are considered to be the winners of this draft.

I'd have definitely listed Columbus within the top three, Wennberg, Rychel, Dano, Heatherington and Bjorkstrand? This is going to go down as one of their franchise defining drafts one day, looked back on the way we consider 2009 or Canadiens fans view 2007 with McDonagh, Subban and Pacioretty.

Calgary I'd have put in the middle. Monahan is going to be a great talent, most likely an elite #2. Klimchuk was a good pick and Poirier has some lightning in a bottle potential. But it was far from a terrible draft. They made mistakes, granted... but it could have been a lot worse for them. Shinkaruk at #4 was too high, half of the league agreed with that. But at #10-11 I liked him a lot so I agree on the Vancouver pick for a winner. They picked my #9 and #10 prospects interestingly (Horvat and Shinkaruk). They also got Cassels and Subban.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
It's all good everyone is entitled to their opinion.

For me, it's just that every time I've seen him play I've been underwhelmed with what I saw. In the past when something like this occurred, I would end up deferring to the consensus, figuring they'd seen that player more and perhaps I'd missed something and would end up getting burned. For better or worse I'm just trusting my instincts more and more rather than what other people think.

I realize I may end up looking like a giant jackass when it's all said and done but this isn't unlike when I ranked Adam Larsson 10th and Jonas Brodin (6th) ahead of him. Many scoffed and disagreed back then too and while it's still very early, that's starting to look pretty good.

Anyways, hopefully I'm wrong on this guy...I think the Panthers really need him to develop into a premiere player.

I think it's possible that his playing style not being flashy can be under-appreciated.

Thanks for the explanation.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Time for a proper response:

I definitely disagree with TBL and Erne. Regardless of his talent, he's been dropping like a lead brick since last year. I can understand the thought he is going to be like Saad and prove the doubters wrong, but I'm not even sold yet on Saad tbh. These are the types of guys that get comfortable once they're not being pushed anymore. In the NHL there's nothing higher to drive you, once they make it and start looking around they get complacent, especially if they get a big contract.

If Erne were this amazing steal I'm fairly certain his coach and our VP would have drafted him instead of Bigras, unless Bigras was an even bigger steal (which not a ton of people are acting like).

So either the Avs had a better draft than TBL (which may or may not be true a few years from now, I really really like Drouin) or neither are considered to be the winners of this draft.

I'd have definitely listed Columbus within the top three, Wennberg, Rychel, Dano, Heatherington and Bjorkstrand? This is going to go down as one of their franchise defining drafts one day, looked back on the way we consider 2009 or Canadiens fans view 2007 with McDonagh, Subban and Pacioretty.

Calgary I'd have put in the middle. Monahan is going to be a great talent, most likely an elite #2. Klimchuk was a good pick and Poirier has some lightning in a bottle potential. But it was far from a terrible draft. They made mistakes, granted... but it could have been a lot worse for them. Shinkaruk at #4 was too high, half of the league agreed with that. But at #10-11 I liked him a lot so I agree on the Vancouver pick for a winner. They picked my #9 and #10 prospects interestingly (Horvat and Shinkaruk). They also got Cassels and Subban.

It's all good, everyone has their own opinion about these prospects and only time will tell. It doesn't really bother me if scouts end up souring on certain prospects and they end up falling down a bit, I watch them play and come to my own conclusions. (I'm still mad about 'trusting the consensus' on Zach Hamill...I had my doubts but didn't follow my gut instinct on him.) I'm still not sold on Saad either, btw.

My take on the Roy vs Erne deal is that Patrick came in and gave his opinion, certainly on the top pick and probably more but at the end of the day, you have to let the scouting department - that's been there the whole year - do their job and select who they think is BPA. Otherwise, you have a guy that's just been hired that storms in and undermines the work that these guys have put in for the past year and I'm quite certain Patrick knew not to do that.

Apparently, they had Bigras at around 15, personally, I was not a big fan of the guy, he kind of reminds me of Leopold (not that it's a bad thing, but I think there were still a few better options, just my opinion. Maybe Pracey is seeing something I'm not...I'm not afraid to admit it, I was wrong on Barrie, I hope that's the case here again.)

When it's all said and done, I think Erne will be a point producer and a top-6 forward in the NHL and that's why I had him at #15 on my list.

I maybe should have noted it but I purposefully left Colorado and Nashville off of my article because I think they are a bit of a 'no brainer' and a bit too obvious. Both teams would have done really well at this draft even if they would have stopped after their 1st round selections. I'm basically trying to give insight that may not be as obvious as selecting potential franchise players.

I was disappointed with the Blue Jackets draft because I'm not a big fan of Wennberg at #12. He reminds me WAYYY too much of Backlund and that's not a good thing. Rychel I think will be a very good addition to their team, so they did well there. Dano I'm on the fence with and I like Heatherington but I see him as a bottom pairing guy but with definite NHL upside. I'm a big, BIG fan of Jarmo though so he'll probably end up proving me wrong with his selections!

If Monahan turns out like you expect, then the Flames will have done well for sure. If he turns out like I expect, it will be a pretty big disappointment especially when you consider who they could have taken instead. (Shinkaruk/Horvat)

AvInNebr

Jul 10, 2013
Nebraska
I think way too much is made of "Roy not taking Erne". Yes, he coached him and the Avs didn't draft him but there is no telling that the Avs didn't have Bigras at 15 and Erne at 16 and with both of them on the board at 32 they took their highest player. It doesn't in any way say "Roy had questions about Erne" or anything of the sort, it simply says that they took a mid-first round talent (on their board) because he was still there and was highest on their board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad