GDT: Draft Day - The Council of Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSauceBoss

May 14, 2010
As much as I want Rossi to fall to us, Lundell will be there at 9, and the Wild will draft him.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Edit #2: Looks like it's the right thread for today.

Wonder if the Wild are on that list and if we'd be able to get a sweetener for taking him. Even if there was no sweetener, I think Tyler Johnson @ $5M is a decent 2C option.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Wrong thread...
Wild certainly make a ton of sense. He'd be our defacto 1C for now, and would get oodles of minutes. He's certainly familiar with the Wild, although that was 2 GMs and 10 years ago. Won a memorial cup with Spurgeon in his Spokane days.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Wild certainly make a ton of sense. He'd be our defacto 1C for now, and would get oodles of minutes. He's certainly familiar with the Wild, although that was 2 GMs and 10 years ago. Won a memorial cup with Spurgeon in his Spokane days.

I could see him working well with Fiala, certainly better than Staal could. His contract is actually good for what Top 6 centers typically get paid nowadays too. We'd also be getting another righty for the PP.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sounds like Wennberg is getting bought out, could be a cheap reclamation project. Although he's a terrible goal scorer, used to be able to distribute decently.

Edit: Also, he's apparently Filip Johansson's cousin... so we got that going for us.:sarcasm:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Sounds like Wennberg is getting bought out, could be a cheap reclamation project. Although he's a terrible goal scorer, used to be able to distribute decently.

Edit: Also, he's apparently Filip Johansson's cousin... so we got that going for us.:sarcasm:

Wennberg's career got derailed due to concussions

Ziperia

Sep 17, 2020
Draft will start at 2:00 am in Finland. It seems that I have to stay awake to see where Lundell is going to get picked.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
4hiorv.gif

Made this just for @KaprizovSaveUs

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I'm not strongly in favor of this, but if Minnesota's on Johnson's list you could pick him up for essentially nothing and not really have to worry about protecting him in the Seattle expansion.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's between Holtz and Lundell. This board has already voted for Holtz if we are presented with such a choice. We'll see what our GM decides. Off chance that one of Sanderson or Drysdale is there. I am against taking either, and know FLA(#12) would love to trade with us to swap picks in order to get a top Dman, but don't think they could make it worth our while.

Johnson is not a top 6 C any more, and is on the wrong side of 30. He is exactly the sort of player and contract we should NOT be getting involved with, unless there is a ridiculously rich sweetener involved. Getting a contract like this could come back to haunt us when we have to sign KK and Fiala.

Reactions: fgobuzz and Olcoach

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey

I'm not strongly in favor of this, but if Minnesota's on Johnson's list you could pick him up for essentially nothing and not really have to worry about protecting him in the Seattle expansion.

I just worry he doesn't match our timeline for forwards. I want to get younger. He 30 with 4 more years at 5 mil. He could always drop off a cliff and become another Ericksson. Too risky for me unless Tampa overpays for us to take him or gives us Cirelli too.

Reactions: fgobuzz

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
It's between Holtz and Lundell. This board has already voted for Holtz if we are presented with such a choice. We'll see what our GM decides. Off chance that one of Sanderson or Drysdale is there. I am against taking either, and know FLA(#12) would love to trade with us to swap picks in order to get a top Dman, but don't think they could make it worth our while.
Sorry to put you on the spot, but any idea what this would look like?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Borgstrom always get mentioned, but he hasn't been looking good in the NHL or AHL. At this point he looks to have a ceiling as a bottom six C, but he could be a late bloomer.

Probably their 2nd(42nd), and I don't know that I'd do it, because Holtz is clearly a tier above players ranked below, and Lundell fits our needs perfectly. WPG and NSH would probably scoop them up. An extra 2nd is nice, but not that impactful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad