Draft Day Steals

RoR21

May 24, 2011
Timashov is an absolute steal by Toronto, honestly can't believe he went in the 5th round

not a leafs fan but korostolev as well.

Thought the Jets had a good two days drafting guys who never should have been around in Connor, Harkins, Spacek.

After an odd first day Boston had a good day. Los Angeles and St. Louis also made great use of their limited draft picks.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
The Penguins did alright for themselves with the Sprong puckup. Other than that, we didn't really do that much.

MapleLife*

Pilon stands out for me.

Other than that, the only guys I really followed were the leafs players. I'd say that Bracco at #61, Timashov at #125, and Korostelev at #185 all have the potential to be big steals. But thats probably a lot of wishful thinking

There were a few guys in the 2nd that shouldve went earlier (Sprong, Kylington, etc.) but premise of thread is 3rd onwards so nvm

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Keegan Kolesar (CBJ 3rd round)
Alexander Dergachyev (LA 3rd round)
Jesper Lindgren (TOR 4th round)
Alexandre Carrier (NSH 4th round)
Austin Wagner (LA 4th round)
Filip Ahl (OTT 4th round)
Cooper Marody (PHI 6th round)
Erik Kallgren (ARZ 7th round)
Matteo Gennaro (WPG 7th round)

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Shwaguy*

Timashov is an absolute steal by Toronto, honestly can't believe he went in the 5th round

I don't know much about him but have heard this reiterated by my fellow Leaf fans.

What makes him such a steal for us if you can shed some light on him for me?

Shwaguy*

Pilon stands out for me.

Other than that, the only guys I really followed were the leafs players. I'd say that Bracco at #61, Timashov at #125, and Korostelev at #185 all have the potential to be big steals. But thats probably a lot of wishful thinking

There were a few guys in the 2nd that shouldve went earlier (Sprong, Kylington, etc.) but premise of thread is 3rd onwards so nvm

Lindgren as well.

Bergmann special

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
From my team:
Caleb Jones - I am over the moon about this pick.

From another team:
I like the Stephen Desrocher pick for the Leafs and the Frederik Tiffels pick for the Pens. Both in round six.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

NHL Fanatik*

Blake Speers at 67

highest PPG behind McDavid Strome and Marner - oh and behind him? Dante Salituro, who went undrafted

Nj had a very good draft day, one of the better in recent memory.

Apr 6, 2011

not a leafs fan but korostolev as well.

From another team:
I like the Stephen Desrocher pick for the Leafs and the Frederik Tiffels pick for the Pens. Both in round six.

Lindgren as well.

Only took 15 posts but I think the whole Leafs draft is there already. All steals.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Every player who got continually passed over by NHL teams, over and over and over, until finally someone picked them. Those are the steals :laugh:

Steals of past drafts include Kiril Kabanov, Angelo Esposito, and Joshua Ho-Sang.

The truth is, people get absolutely fixated on the public pre-draft rankings so much so that they take them as 100% fact. If someone ranks a guy lower or higher than all the other rankings, they get called out as being crazy.

People got so fixated with Nikita Korostelev being 100% a second round player because of pre-draft rankings. Maybe he's only a late round talent afterall? The NHL scouts generally know what they're doing, historically, when it comes to players falling far in the later rounds on draft day.

The steals are guys who develop properly over the next few years. Most of the time it's the guys who were reaches, or trending upwards heading into the draft but the rankings took too long bumping their placement up.

It'll be a while before we know who the steals are. As of now, they are all potential steals and really, most of the guys listed in this thread won't be the steals of the draft.

Last edited:

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Only took 15 posts but I think the whole Leafs draft is there already. All steals.

They went boom/bust on most of their picks, its not that unreasonable a stance. Nobody was calling Biggs or Gauthier a steal. Most of our draft won't make the NHL but the ones that do will have to be top-6 players to stick around.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Every player who got continually passed over by NHL teams, over and over and over, until finally someone picked them. Those are the steals :laugh:

Steals of past drafts include Kiril Kabanov, Angelo Esposito, and Joshua Ho-Sang.

The truth is, people get absolutely fixated on the public pre-draft rankings so much so that they take them as 100% fact. If someone ranks a guy lower or higher than all the other rankings, they get called out as being crazy.

People got so fixated with Nikita Korostelev being 100% a second round player because of pre-draft rankings. Maybe he's only a late round talent afterall? The NHL scouts generally know what they're doing, historically, when it comes to players falling far in the later rounds on draft day.

The steals are guys who develop properly over the next few years. Most of the time it's the guys who were reaches, or trending upwards heading into the draft but the rankings took too long bumping their placement up.

It'll be a while before we know who the steals are. As of now, they are all potential steals and really, most of the guys listed in this thread won't be the steals of the draft.

Exactly this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad