GDT: Draft Day 2016

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Reminds me of the Ehn pick, though looks like Malmström wasn't ranked by any outlets including CS... He's put up quite good numbers at the U18 level both as a 15 and 16 year old.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Jesper Bratt is still available. I think he could turn into a Nyquist-type and as a young guy still has room to grow.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This might be the most underwhelming draft in a long time for Detroit. No one exciting.

What's not to be excited about? They took a crap load of defensemen with size and skating ability and hope they develop. Outside of that I really like the sound of Smith.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
This might be the most underwhelming draft in a long time for Detroit. No one exciting.

I would agree but there are a lot of positives here. I like how they have taken on a slew of defensive projects and hopefully one of them pans out. I was happy the way that Holland was able to move Datsyuk's contract off the books to better position us for July AND still nab us a 2nd out of it.

At the end of the day, nothing we would've drafted today would have been able to play or make an impact for the Wings next season, so we might as well take high potential/high-risk guys.

The only way today could've gone better is if we found a way to move Howard and free up that much more cap space. But, I'll take the last two days, see if we can win the Stamkos sweepstakes and keep an outside hope that we find a way to trade for at least a solid 2nd pairing defenseman

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I actually kind of like the picks in rounds 2-5 today.

2-5, except Smith actually aren't bad picks, and are in line with what my expectations were: boom-bust PMD. Smith seems like a huge reach though for a forward that likely will be another Callahan.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
2-5, except Smith actually aren't bad picks, and are in line with what my expectations were: boom-bust PMD. Smith seems like a huge reach though for a forward that likely will be another Callahan.

How is Smith a reach in the second round? Second round picks don't look like sure fire top six forwards on paper.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
How is Smith a reach in the second round? Second round picks don't look like sure fire top six forwards on paper.

Because Detroit has had players and currently has players in their system a lot like him and they never seem to get called up? If Callahan had made Detroit, I could see it, but players like Smith just don't fit the big club. That and there was a really good PMD selected just afterwards?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Because Detroit has had players and currently has players in their system a lot like him and they never seem to get called up? If Callahan had made Detroit, I could see it, but players like Smith just don't fit the big club. That and there was a really good PMD selected just afterwards?

Detroit is clearly going in a different direction with their forward picks. This guy seems to fit the mold of them wanting to get bigger and have some edge. It's a solid second round pick.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Imagine if Sokolov goes undrafted... I'm gonna say TOR takes him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Smith is a lot better than Callahan, much closer in skill to his former teammate and one of our favorite prospects in Tyler Bertuzzi.

Mitch Callahan went a lot lower than Smith for a reason, pretty big reach to compare the two. Callahan's injuries and just average skating have also kept him down as well.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

That last sentence is absolutely correct. Why, however, would the Wings spend a good second-round pick on a kid that would never fit within their organization? This team is clearly moving in a different direction. Callahan hasn't gotten a true shot because he isn't a good enough skater for his size. Callahan and Smith are two different prospects and should not be treated as one in the same.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Wings took Filip Larsson - a goalie with sweet 3.86 GAA. I guess it's an okay 6th round goalie pick - nothing mindblowing but you can't guess how they pan out.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Smith is a lot better than Callahan, much closer in skill to his former teammate and one of our favorite prospects in Tyler Bertuzzi.

Mitch Callahan went a lot lower than Smith for a reason, pretty big reach to compare the two. Callahan's injuries and just average skating have also kept him down as well.

Haven't read much, but following the postings on the main board there were a few posts knocking smith's skating.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really miss redwingscentral on draft day, Wuest would always put articles up in no time with tons of info and quotes on our prospects. Even the late round guys.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Really miss redwingscentral on draft day, Wuest would always put articles up in no time with tons of info and quotes on our prospects. Even the late round guys.

I had that very same thought. We are all poorer for having lost him as a member of the DRW community.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad