Draft best player available or positional need

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
You always hear about teams drafting based on positional needs which I never understood considering that player most likely will be be 2-3 years away from playing in the NHL and your needs might be different at that point. I have always believed in drafting the best player available. Thoughts?

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
B
You always hear about teams drafting based on positional needs which I never understood considering that player most likely will be be 2-3 years away from playing in the NHL and your needs might be different at that point. I have always believed in drafting the best player available. Thoughts?
Bpa

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Best players available. There are really only 3 hard positions, forward, defense, goalie, RW/C/LW is fluid. Most picks are 2+ years away from making the NHL, so you don't know exactly what your NHL needs are going to be.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
In the first 2-3 rounds BPA, unless you have the players ranked the same then go for need. After round 3 I'd say go for boom/bust guys and hope they pan out.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
There's usually a massive drop off after the 2nd or 3rd pick in a draft. Many gms would take a defenseman over a 2nd line forward if they are truly aweful on d.

94 Rangers

Jul 28, 2012
Best player available, if you are truly loaded at a position. Trade out of the spot and accumulate assets, never reach for a position.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
BPA

You can always trade from a position of strength for a position of need down the road like Nashville did.

If two players are near equal though then you take the center/defenseman first.

What are some examples when a team picked based on need?

Columbus picking PLD. Turned out to be a good move

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
hinkie.jpg

This man knows the answer

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Unless you're picking in the top5 and/or get lucky, your player isn't playing in the NHL next year. Your positional needs might change in 12 months for a million reasons. Always pick the best player you can.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Their is always exceptions but....

Play the odds, draft forward top 10, defense 2nd and 3rd round(look at previous draft chances of getting top end defensemen compared to forwards is higher this round), goalies high risk guys 4th+(strongly scout European leagues and US high school or Canadian lower levels)

11-31 is more of a judgement call(still some good forwards to be had but the later you get in the round defense comes a better option)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
First round it's best player available. Beyond that teams always start looking at positional needs. There is nothing odd about it.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
BPA, but if theres a marginal difference then position comes into play.

Pretty much. You don't pass on players of Eichel/Matthews caliber but picking Dubuois over Pulju is reasonable.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
best player is what your team should do

however in the case of a tie then it should be based on position with goalies first, defense second, then centre and finally winger being the last

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
We’ve seen it go right and wrong both ways. Haydn Fleury was BPA for the Canes who needed offense and has just gotten buried, they would much rather have Ehlers or Nylander. But it has gone wrong for teams picking by need also, such as teams (WPG MIN but more so PIT and TBL) who passed on Forsberg in 2012 for dmen.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Hate to say this. But NEED.
(Or BPA who isn't a winger).

Trades rarely happen, and nobody is gifting RHD or Centres without extreme overpays.

Oilers kept drafting undersized skilled smurf wingers when the need was clearly Dmen and Centres.

Hall had to be traded for Larsson. Instead we could have drafted Seguin.

If Oilers drafted (instead):
Ryan Ellis (RHD) instead of Paajaarvi (RW)
Seguin (C) instead of Hall (LW)
Hopkins (C)
Reilly (RHD) instead of Yakupov.
Risto (RHD) instead of Nurse (LHD)
Drai (C)
McD (C)

This woud be a very well rounded roster capable of competing for cups.

RNH-McDavid-Drai
**** - Seguin - Eberle

***** - Ellis
Klefbom - Reilly
Nurse or Risto lead 3rd pairing

I doubt Columbus regrets taking Dubois over Puljujaarvi. Even if Puljujaarvi breaks out and gets 60 points. Cbus wasn't going to get a #1Centre in the next 20 years without drafting one.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Hate to say this. But NEED.
(Or BPA who isn't a winger).

Trades rarely happen, and nobody is gifting RHD or Centres without extreme overpays.

Oilers kept drafting undersized skilled smurf wingers when the need was clearly Dmen and Centres.

Hall had to be traded for Larsson. Instead we could have drafted Seguin.

If Oilers drafted (instead):
Ryan Ellis instead of Paajaarvi
Seguin instead of Hall
Hopkins (or Larsson).
Reilly (RHD) instead of Yakupov.
Risto (RHD) instead of Nurse (LHD)
Drai
McD

This woud be a very well rounded roster capable of competing for cups.

I doubt Columbus regrets taking Dubois over Puljujaarvi. Even if Puljujaarvi breaks out and gets 60 points. Cbus wasn't going to get a #1Centre in the next 20 years without drafting one.

Ok, but if the first 5 things happen, you might not be in the position you were in 2014 or 2015.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad