Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part VII (No Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Just curious as to people's thoughts on this:

At 37, do you take Tobias Bjornfot or Lassi Thomson if you HAVE to take one or the other?
While I think that Bjornfot will be better and have him ahead of Thomson, Thomson simply because we do not have someone like him in the system and I believe he has higher upside. Bjornfot is a safer defenseman while I think Thomson will straight up bust but Thomson has a great shot and if he somehow puts it all together he’ll be a Hamilton-like defenseman. We don’t need defensive-oriented LHD in Bjornfot and his upside isn’t enough to warrant a draft pick if I’m NYR. Unless Bjornfot is there in the 3rd round I don’t touch him even though he’s in the early 40s for me

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I've long maintained that if you put Newhook in the same situations as Turcotte or Zegras, I think it's damn close.

Newhook is playing like a kid with a MAJOR chip on his shoulder right now --- be it the BCHL playoffs, or this tournament. Make no bones about it, he's trying to send a message that he's as good as any center in this draft not named Hughes.

I finally got to see Newhook, I just think its a total joke if he gets out of the top 10. I definitely thinks he more than matches up with Cozens, Dach and co.

Top wheels, great offensive focus, crisp passing. He is a little raw and you can tell that he isn't used to playing at a high level, but that isn't surprising. I also don't think he is that versatile 200 ft player who will contribute a great deal all over the ice like a Turcotte, but the drive he has when he gets the puck and heads up ice makes up for much of that.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I finally got to see Newhook, I just think its a total joke if he gets out of the top 10. I definitely thinks he more than matches up with Cozens, Dach and co.

Top wheels, great offensive focus, crisp passing. He is a little raw and you can tell that he isn't used to playing at a high level, but that isn't surprising. I also don't think he is that versatile 200 ft player who will contribute a great deal all over the ice like a Turcotte, but the drive he has when he gets the puck and heads up ice makes up for much of that.

He's going to.

Stigma against his league he played in and where hes at right now gives him too much ground to make up, save an insane medal round at the tournament.

I think he plays his way into the early-mid teens, in which case we should be all over that.

Blueshirts1994

Jun 30, 2011
who would be your dream picks for the winnipeg 1st rounder be? my 5 in no order would be Dorofeyev, Newhook, Kaliyev, Cam York, and Heinola. I would have Caufield as my #1 but i think he goes close to top 10

Reactions: egelband and bl02

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I've had him at either 8 or 9 all season and I'm loving the fact that a broader audience on here has a chance to see him finally.

Reactions: egelband

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
who would be your dream picks for the winnipeg 1st rounder be? my 5 in no order would be Dorofeyev, Newhook, Kaliyev, Cam York, and Heinola. I would have Caufield as my #1 but i think he goes close to top 10
Those are a terrific 5 for 19/20/21. How about Newhook (prob won’t be there), Seider (could be there but rising), Harley (could be there but rising), kaliyev (exicting sniper potential), York/Heinola (thinking Montreal at 15 take one of these).

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
2. Kakko
19. Newhook
28. Thomson
37. Bjornfot
58. Foote
69. Konovalov

Fight me

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I wouldn't touch Harley but thats just me.
Could be a kid who’s game translates well to the NHL. Very good size and knows how to use it. Good skater especially in his own zone. Depending who’s there at 20/21 I wouldn’t be upset definitely would be ok with him at 28 if we got the Dallas pick albeit no way he makes it to 28

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
so if Dallas beats St Louis but loses in the WCF, what pick would the Rangers end up getting out of it? 28th overall?

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
Please no more LD
We have 5 legit LD prospects and Skjei turning things around
Would love Seider or Thomson in this draft to go along with Kap and kaliyev/newhook/caufield(with kreider trade)
And Teply in second

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wouldn't touch Harley but thats just me.

Harley's a guy I'm not completely sold on. There are a lot of times he reminds me of Sanguinetti.

The skills are evident at times, but there's not that sense of command or effort. It seems like he's coasting a lot of times. I haven't always been crazy about the defensive areas of his game either - positioning, choices, willingness to pay a price to defense his net, etc.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Other than fishing around Youtube and streaming live games, where is the best spot to watch highlight packages of the top 50-100 prospects?

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Other than fishing around Youtube and streaming live games, where is the best spot to watch highlight packages of the top 50-100 prospects?
prospectshifts.com. @Lays has been pumping their tires for a while. 5 bucks a month for several iso videos of 2018/2019 prospects. Bunch of Kakko videos there, including his hat trick game which is a must watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad