Draft #62 - Yan-Pavel Laplante

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I had Laplante a little lower than where the Coyotes took him (as compared to Domi and Dauphin, who were both BPA on me list at the time), but I like this pick a lot. Such a versatile skillset. At worst, I think we're looking at a heart-and-soul bottom six agitator along the lines of Andrew Shaw or Brandon Prust (or maybe Ian Laperriere if we want a Quebecois comparable), a middleweight who will drop the gloves or skate on an upper line if necessary, backchecking, blocking shots and even showing up on the scoresheet occasionally. Players like these are important to a good team, and while they're usually available via free agency or trade, the really good ones are worth hanging onto. If Laplante can deliver on that potential, he's a good return on a 3rd round pick, and if he can start contributing on that level in a few years, he'll be a great value for what is likely to still be a budget team.

His true upside is a little higher, even. If everything goes right, he could be a true second line forward, skilled enough to pot 40-50 points while being defensively responsible and pretty nasty at the same time. Getting that sort of player from a third round pick would be phenomenal.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Really like this pick and I look forward to seeing how he develops in the coming years. Maybe he can be our Roussel (Stars).

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
McKenzie's ranking had him at #68. But the 'stache probably gave him the slight bump. The pic on McKenzie's list has him stache-less, so it's understandable.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm a sucker for heart and soul give it all you got type players. Look at that video. Every shift he's competing for body position and landing what I would describe as borderline dirty slashes, elbows, and punches. Love it. I know I would hate to play against this kid.

nolman29

Oct 20, 2009
Charlottetown, PE
So awesome that they killed it off for next year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlottetown_Islanders

The Rocket name was inherited when they moved the PEI from Montreal as Montreal Rocket. The team was named after Maurice 'Rocket' Richard, hence why it was only Rocket not Rockets.

With the team in PEI, there was real no connection to 'the Rocket' and Prince Edward Islander so a rebrand was announced before last season. They were to be named PEI Islanders (redundant, yes I know). Then this offseason, team was sold a bought to a group of locals on the Island and re-named with Charlottetown. Like it much better personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad