Draft #62 - Yan-Pavel Laplante

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Hey Coyotes fans. I wanted to help you to know more about Yan-Pavel Laplante with two comments by me in the last months. So sorry if there is sentences that make no sense, they were in others contexts. Happy for you, I would have prefer if my team (Habs) would have take him. He is a good prespect.

I probably saw 90% of his games this season and the first thing I noticed is the work ethic. Every shift he is on the ice, he plays like it could be his last one. He is a true warrior with a great mental/leadership. He scored 3 goals in the last game of the playoff this season. All the team was dead, but the three goals (maybe 2/3) came in the third period to make it 3-3. He was flying on the ice. He was the true leader. In the overtime, he touched the crossbar twice.

He plays the game at a very high pace. He is very fast and he likes to dangle the puck when he skates at full speed. He is sometimes spectacular. He is very smart, very good IQ. That helps him to be very good defensively. He is also very good with puck managment.

He is physical. He will drop the gloves. He is a good fighter. He could probably fight guys like Mike Brown, Brandon Prust in the NHL. He must get heavier because he often tries open-ice hits but it fails because he isn't strong enough. He is skinny but he doesn't fall on the ice like Benoit Pouliot. He goes in the front of the net on the power play, he blocks shots.

I am a fan. I would gladly take him in the third round. If his offence doesn't translate in the NHL, he can still be an effective bottom liner.

Yan-Pavel Laplante hasn't been in an offensive situation with the Rocket. I mean, he played behind the Beran-Currie-Duffy line. They played around 1:30 or 1:45 per powerplay. He didn't play on the PK a lot because Currie-Bursey/Ottereyes played sometimes the full 2 minutes ( I even saw Currie play a full 5 minutes in one penalty-kill and still skating like a crazy horse at the end ). So he hadn't see much offensive situation. Probably all his points are on 5 vs 5. This is why he has not great stats. He is a bit in the same situation as Eller with the Habs, playing behind different players in every situations (but with Laplante, it's behind Currie, mainly). He must prove that he can handle the powerplay and offensive responsabilities.

Also, he played with Louick Marcotte (RW) who was horrible in march (Laplante began his season in february). His center was the very inconsistent 16 years old beef Alexis Pépin. Laplante and Pépin played really well right at the beginning. Pépin was more confident and consistent. Laplante showed leadership with the young and skilled Pépin. They were the two best forwards at the end of the season and in the playoff. But, he wasn't in a top line situation, he was a bit protected by Josh Currie because Currie was THE shutdown line by himself (I really like this player).

Currie won't be back, he will be 21 next season. Laplante will be the main shutdown forward (with Deverick Ottereyes and Matt Bursey), the main offensive forward, and likely, the captain. He is the star in town with his constant work ethic and physicality (when I say physicality, I doesn't mean that he is like Matt Martin. But he is a very gritty and fearless player). He will need to prove that he can handle the offensive part because him sure he won't have much problem with leadership and the pk/shutdown duties. Like I and you said, he must get heavier. I think that in his prime, he will be 6'0 or 6'1 and between 195-205. Right now he is 6'0 - 172.

Briefly, heart and soul player with a great motor. He plays a two-way game with great speed. Comparison: Alex Burrows, Ryan Callahan, somewhere in the middle.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Agitator. An elite one at that.

Have to be if you are going to rock a stash this dirty

yan_pavel_laplante.jpg

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Apparently he is also Louis Domingue's cousin. Wonder if that played at all into the pick.

Louis Domingue ‏@domingue35 16m

@RuanPavel23 they reunited the cousins!!!! Congrats see you soon !!

Good selection as long as the shoulder is alright, which it seems to be. He should be required to keep that stache if he makes the team in the future.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Hey Coyotes fans. I wanted to help you to know more about Yan-Pavel Laplante with two comments by me in the last months. So sorry if there is sentences that make no sense, they were in others contexts. Happy for you, I would have prefer if my team (Habs) would have take him. He is a good prespect.

Briefly, heart and soul player with a great motor. He plays a two-way game with great speed. Comparison: Alex Burrows, Ryan Callahan, somewhere in the middle.
:handclap:

Thank you for this information ... the English isn't perfect but it's better than my French ;)

Also, I love that PEI is the "Rocket." Kelowna in the WHL are the rockets, but rocket? Singular? Awesome name, I wish they weren't changing it.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I know absolutely nothing about this player. But what I've read since the pick, he sounds like an awesome hard working, heart and soul player.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I like how ambitious he looks with the puck. Easy against an overmatched youth team, but still nice to see. Skilled with flaws seems to be the theme today ...

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Looks like a really hard working player. That's what we need on this team. I'll take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad