Draft #163 - Brendan Burke

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
G, no surprise

12431865-essay.jpg

“I think for him it’s a little different than maybe for some other players,” Burke said. “He grew up playing all his hockey in Arizona. So he was out of any media hockey hotbed.

“The other thing with Brendan is he’s one of those kids that have been around the game forever and really has a respect and appreciation for the players and how hard it is. For him it’s more ‘this is what I want to do and I know how hard it is’ rather than pressure. He understands the work that needs to go into it. I think he knows it isn’t just 'my dad played, I like it and I’m going to play.' There is a long way to go before he ever gets a chance.”

Brendan was 24-5-1 with a 2.65 goals-against average and .908 save percentage for the Portland Winterhawks (WHL) last season. He is not only similar in build to his father, but also in style.

“Yes, good and bad,” the elder Burke said with a laugh. “He’s very similar in style. A lot of it is from him just watching. He was old enough when I was still playing to watch a lot of games. He naturally plays a style I think he watched me play.

“Kids his age now are better-coached from a younger age. They’re more technical. I remember back in my day it was more about just being a good athlete and competing. Young goalies now do that, but they’ve also been well-coached.”

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/...urke_excited_about_draft_for_son_brendan.html

Burke was Mac Carruth’s back-up and he only appeared in one playoff game but he went 24-5-1 with a .908 save percentage in the regular season and he’s expected to step in as the team’s No. 1 goalie.
“He’s really, really improved in the years he’s been with the organization,’’ said Johnston. “I just believe his upside is big. He’s really calm, really poised, and he’s starting to fill out. … he’s got the skills.’’

Burke says he knows the draft is “hit and miss’’ with goalies and he would be happy to get picked somewhere in the middle rounds. “Really, anywhere (is fine)’’ he said. “I’m not going to be disappointed.’’

Burke’s father, former NHL goalie Sean Burke, is goaltenders coach for the Phoenix Coyotes. “The Coyotes were always my favorite team growing up,’’ said Burke. “It would be cool to be playing for my favorite team but that’s not super important. Just getting there (to the NHL)is.’’

http://www.oregonlive.com/hawks/index.ssf/2013/06/sundays_nhl_draft_even_if_seth.html#/0

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Love it!

Born in Scottsdale too. Funny considering that his dad was playing in Hartford that year (1995).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Be interesting to watch the duel of the Burke padawans, his son and Visentin.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Wow... I played against this kid when I was a Bantam.. He played for CAHA jr Coyotes and I was playing for the Union.

Unreal that he got drafted today.. Kinda an eye opener :cry:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's funny that we like the Burke selection but completely went apes**t on the Ruutu selection

Burke went where he is supposed to. He is also a good goalie prospect, and set to be Portland's starter next year. Ruuttu was a giant reach and had no business being selected there.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Burke went where he is supposed to. He is also a good goalie prospect, and set to be Portland's starter next year. Ruuttu was a giant reach and had no business being selected there.

Wouldn't have mattered when Ruutu was selected because he shouldn't have been selected at all. :sarcasm:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Radio earlier said this kid has been a practice stand-in before, so in that respect, kid's for more NHL experience than Nathan McKinnon and Jon Drouin combined ...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Radio earlier said this kid has been a practice stand-in before, so in that respect, kid's for more NHL experience than Nathan McKinnon and Jon Drouin combined ...

Makes the Smith signing look even worse!

I'm kidding... kind of...

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
Burke went where he is supposed to. He is also a good goalie prospect, and set to be Portland's starter next year.

And if things stay the course he should be Portland's starter a few seasons later :laugh:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
This pick works for me. The 7th round is where you should be drafting goalies, and it's where you should be drafting the progeny of your front office. A longshot, as any late round pick would be, but he's got pro potential for sure.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
And if things stay the course he should be Portland's starter a few seasons later :laugh:

He'll be the #1 this year. Portland is the top organization in the WHL (or a very close #2 depending on who you talk too). We should know very quickly what we've got here. Could be a gem. This was his father's pick all the way though. I would anticipate that there may be some "extra coaching" along the way.

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
Oh sorry for the confusion hbk, I was remaking on the irony of him possibly going from Portland(Winterhawks) to Portland(Pirates) in a few years if he develops well and they're still our affiliate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad